The Beatles Remastered

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I pretty much only listen to CDs on my computer. I guess my car has a CD player, but I like my local independent station.

I went through a number of years where I'd rip it to my computer and never use the CDs, but I've gone through a "rediscovery of CD sound" phase, and try to listen to the CDs any time I'm listening to an album at home near my computer.

Yeah, Best Buy still has them available for pre-order online.

Yous guyz doing the stereo remasters or mono? Or are you going nuts and doing both? Or neither? Or something else completely?

Can you provide a link to this alleged pre-order page? I'm not kidding when I tell you that following the links on BestBuy.com let me to a set (unaccompanied by a picture, of course) which was going for something like $698. That's not right, but I can't find anything else. Holla?

And I will be getting the mono set, if I can somehow scrape together the bread. Picking up Sgt. P's and everything after it individually. And eventually.

I pretty much only listen to CDs on my computer. I guess my car has a CD player, but I like my local independent station.

I went through a number of years where I'd rip it to my computer and never use the CDs, but I've gone through a "rediscovery of CD sound" phase, and try to listen to the CDs any time I'm listening to an album at home near my computer.

It's probably more for convenience's sake, for me. I don't want to carry around a ton of CDs (that was the point of getting an iPod), and when I'm at home, I generally play records instead.

Is anyone else slightly annoyed that the mono versions aren't being released individually? I wish I didn't have to get the entire box to go that route.

:drool: Those clips.

September is bankruptcy month for me but once I've cleared tuition/credit card bill from book-buying this will certainly be my first big purchase. A new bed can wait.

I don't want to break any hearts, but the Revolver stereo job sounds...well, not really too much different from what I already know. And REALLY similar to some of the better fan-made bootleg mixes. Hm. One regular-ass speakers and at 320, it's pretty much...crisper. That's all. Definitely a step up, but this isn't like seeing in color, for the first time.

...Sounding a lot better, after the first two or three songs. Still primarly crisper, but also almost three-dimensional, at times. Interesting. A real fullness of sound. "Herr Doktor Robert" sounds pretty baller.

I'm going to handle the transcript of this IYS/Laz discussion, if they had a discussion in an alternate universe.

Laz "I'm going with Stereo"

IYS "Really? I'm surprised at that. How come you feel that way?"

Laz "I just feel that if it's available in both versions, it makes the most sense to not get it in mono"

I don't know, laz...a dedicated mono mix is always preferable to a doctored-up stereo mix, no? And, in fact, I think that a lot of early stereo mixes are pretty despicable. Whenever I listen to The Supremes, I ache at having to listen in stereo; whenever I listen to The Ronettes, I am overjoyed that they're in mono. Especially with the hard pans on the stereo reduxes of Beatles records, you lose a lot. If they broke out in the '70s, I'd be making a different argument, but they didn't. The broke out in the '60s, and specifically designed everything for mono, up until towards the end. I mean...come on!

I just don't see that there's anything to be gained by shoving everything into one speaker when there's another option, especially in this case. A lot of care has been taken with these releases, so I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt to the people who worked on them.

In regards to Abbey Road or Let It Be (where there's only a stereo mix to hear), I definitely agree. If somebody just mashed it down into mono, that's a no-go, for me. But the mono set comes with both mixes for both Help! and Rubber Soul, and I'm comfortable double-dipping on Sgt. P's (just to be able to compare, really) and The Beatles. I guess I'll also have to find the Past Masters discs, at some point.

I am not pro-mono/anti-stereo, to be clear--I am pro listening to mono recordings in mono, and stereo recordings in stereo. To be fair and clear, though, I am inclined to be anti-stereo for a lot of '60s records, which I think often sound really scattershot.

I will say that I prefer the mono mix of the remastered version of Pet Sounds.

Also, there ARE noticeable differences in the mono mixes, particularly Sgt. Pepper's. Things like tempo changes on "She's Leaving Home," "Lucy in the Sky" has extra echoes, and in the "Sgt. Pepper's (Reprise)," John can be heard speaking at the end, as well as Paul's words being much clearer.

I'll listen to both versions, but like IYS said, most of the Beatles' albums were mixed with mono in mind originally, and the stereo mixes were an afterthought because it was a newer technology.

Only stereo mixes of a few albums so far. It's only a matter of time before they all show up...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom