The AFL Thread Reporting Dangerfield Has Signed a 9-yr $10.1m Deal With Port Adelaide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Love how we've deteriorated from last year. Love how Walsh keeps on picking players who haven't played a good game all season. Love how sacking Sanderson now seems like a pointless exercise.

Looks like Carlton have got themselves another victory. Can't believe how awful the Gold Coast are this year, after all the hope of last season.

I don't think it's very hard to believe. Combine Ablett's injury with the unchecked partying culture that seems to have crept in, little in the way of respect from the players or harsh discipline from the club, and you've got a recipe for a shit year.

I guess it's that I'm still surprised how badly they fell apart after Ablett's injury. Sure, it was obvious to everyone that he was the pivot on which the team turned, but there seemed to be so much other talent too. By the end of last year they were coming good too - got a win without him and were unlucky to not defeat a couple of other good teams (including mine). It felt like they were starting to achieve some of their potential and play good footy without relying on Ablett.

But I think sacking McKenna was an awful decision that has set them back, the party culture hasn't helped, and they've had some unfortunate injuries to some of their most promising players.

They have the most decimated midfield in the league. Aside from Ablett, Swallow has barely played, Prestia has missed the past 6 matches, O'Meara (the most promising midfielder in the league) has missed the whole season.

It's like Hawthorn without Mitchell, Hodge, Lewis and Rioli. Sydney without Kennedy, Jack, Hanneberry and Parker... And Gold Coast still don't have the same level of depth as these elite sides.

They resemble as they were in the first two seasons, plugging massive holes with random youngsters who haven't yet found a specific role in the team.

Can't help but feel for them. It's a tough year.

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin

Thanks to Cin I've finally caught the legends game after being out/forgetting about it for a whole bunch of years in a row. :up:

Schulz dumps Richards onto a stretcher. Broadbent tries to get physical with Parker whilst Parker is in the hands of a trainer. Goodes manages to outrun Wines to kick a goal from 50.

Reports coming through that Phil Walsh has died? Shocking news

Holy fucking shit, and his son has been arrested? This is awful.

His wife's in hospital with wounds to her leg(s). I sincerely hope Sunday's match is forfeited, 2 points to either club. I think Cobbler would agree. We don't need to have a match where everyone playing is struck by grief, and although the circumstances are different, we've seen how after Phil Hughes' death the Pakistan/NZ test match went on and how it should have been called off.

I'm still too wordless to even think about the round of footy we have coming up. It's a little unsettling to see tweets solely focused on when/if the game/rest of the round goes ahead. For some reason I now totally understand why I think it was James Sutherland who didn't answer questions about when the Tests would go ahead. Hard to even give it thought after such a tragedy.

I urge everyone to read this. I have given Robbo a lot of flak but my goodness, this thing, now... Adelaide coach Phil Walsh invites Mark Robinson into the inner sanctum of the Crows and his life | Herald Sun

“But have I been a good father? To my son, I had a disconnect because of footy.

“I just immersed myself, got consumed and was selfish with as much time I committed to footy. I’m basically talking about my 10 years at Port Adelaide, just the desperation to win a premiership and I thought it was all about me, when it’s all about the players.

“I lost that connection and I’m trying to reconnect with my son, which I have done.

“In a selfish way, I taught my daughter to surf, and that’s my release, so when I go surfing, I take her. Now I’ve got my son into it as well and that’s what I should’ve done a long time ago.

“A couple of months ago, we all went surfing together at Middleton and it was almost the best day I’ve had ... ever. We all got a wave, went to the bakery on the way home, we smiled, and laughed and there was none of this stuff, that I’ve got Melbourne, then the Bulldogs, then Port. Just none of that.’’

Fuck.

Oh man, every time I see a quote from that in a news article today, it hits so hard.

No idea what they should do with the current round, and to think they need to make the call so quickly - whatever they do, what an awful decision to have to make. Neesham's quote about the Sharjah Test from that Reddit AMA comes straight to mind. Whatever they do, it has to be a players' decision, not an administrators'.

I can still see every game bar Adelaide/Geelong go ahead, with a minute silence in all games. There's little use postponing matches, so either the former happens or every club gets a 'draw' this weekend.

McLachlan confirms Crows/Cats match won't go ahead. 2 points each. The right decision.

There is no way the Adelaide vs Geelong match could have gone ahead. If the AFL didn't cancel it, Adelaide might have forfeited. The whole season will be overshadowed by this, just as last summer was overshadowed by the death of the cricketer Hughes.

Feel for the wife and daughter. She was overseas at the time :(

He certainly loved coaching and did come across as a workaholic of sorts

Oh man, every time I see a quote from that in a news article today, it hits so hard.

No idea what they should do with the current round, and to think they need to make the call so quickly - whatever they do, what an awful decision to have to make. Neesham's quote about the Sharjah Test from that Reddit AMA comes straight to mind. Whatever they do, it has to be a players' decision, not an administrators'.

Really wish they'd cancelled the whole round. There will be plenty of players this round who will have to play a game they can't get themselves up for. How could you even cheer a goal?

True. I'm headed to the Richmond v Wests clash tomorrow. We're on a roll, but I'm just not as enthused as I might have otherwise been.

I know it's early to call, but I wouldn't be surprised if Worsfold became our new coach given his relationship with Phil and his experience, we have to go for someone with substantial coaching experience.

Both team's players/coaches gathering in a circle in the centre after the game. Really touching.

Oh wow, that was really powerful at the end.

Incredible game too.

I didn't even know who Walsh was when I woke up this morning, but that display at the end of the game... I think there's something in my eye.

Awful, awful tragedy.

Any youtube footage of the end of last night's game? And apparently Clarko's presser afterwards was all class? I went out about halfway through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom