Sushi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yesterday I had a snow crab & tuna roll with jalepenos and it was torched on the outside and covered in spicy sauces.

Soooooo good

I'm never full after sushi either. I don't really enjoy it enough to have a full meal - I always go to Japanese restaurants where I can have other things as well. Tempura and teppanyaki are by far my favourites where Japanese is concerned.

I do like spicy crunchy salmon rolls, though.

theoriginal said:
a snow crab & tuna roll with jalepenos and it was torched on the outside and covered in spicy sauces.

That sounds like a delicious song-title fusion of Radiohead and Pink Floyd :drool:

I ate Octopus while visiting Germany as a teenager. It was very interesting. It was a mix of something exotic, and something that was never meant for human consumption...the ultimate culinary contridication.

300px-Sushi4.jpg

uramaki roll,:drool:

I had sushi for dinner because of this thread...so good :drool:

and I think I like the Timmy T song even better when it's about sushi :lol:

:huh:

Don't know why western people consider sushi as "healthy". For me it just as bad as McDonald.

If you have ever made sushi hand rolls by yourself, you'll easily notice that the rice you cooked run out a lot quicker than you think.

If I just had rice with lettuce + tuna for a meal, I'll need about 250g canned tuna in spring water + half normal lettuce choped or cooked, it would go with about 250g cooked rice (a little bowl). But if you put that much tuna into sushi, you'll get about 20 handrolls, and you'll have to use half pot of cooked rice (for about 1kg). :|

Really, I'd rather have lunch at McDonald (as long as I don't have it everyday), if you don't take coke, you'll probably get less pressure for your blood sugar level than having sushi for lunch.

Last week when I was leaving Tokyo, there was a sushi bar across from my gate at the airpot. Sign said "Last chance for good sushi and sake!" :giggle:

...oh and it was good. :drool:

I made at home some earlier this week. And I disagree with the person suggesting that it's unhealthy. Everything in moderation. Sure, quite a bit of rice goes into a roll, but if you have some salad on the side and some miso soup, you can be full and your total calories and fat consumption is quite low.

When I was in japan I went to a sushi bar...one of the greatest restaurants I have EVER been to. Grabbing your food off of a conveyor belt is fun for some reason.

butter7 said:
:huh:

Don't know why western people consider sushi as "healthy". For me it just as bad as McDonald.

If you have ever made sushi hand rolls by yourself, you'll easily notice that the rice you cooked run out a lot quicker than you think.

If I just had rice with lettuce + tuna for a meal, I'll need about 250g canned tuna in spring water + half normal lettuce choped or cooked, it would go with about 250g cooked rice (a little bowl). But if you put that much tuna into sushi, you'll get about 20 handrolls, and you'll have to use half pot of cooked rice (for about 1kg). :|

Really, I'd rather have lunch at McDonald (as long as I don't have it everyday), if you don't take coke, you'll probably get less pressure for your blood sugar level than having sushi for lunch.

Where do you get your information from?

Because testings have shown that the healthiest fast food is kebap and sushi.

Fat and fat is not the same, and the omega-3 in fish is very healthy.
Also, there is no need to become too obsessed with fat.

Last edited:
Some places are even starting to make rolls with brown rice. Fish and nori (seaweed) are both very healthy, as are vegetables of course. How many people would eat seaweed otherwise? I know I sure wouldn't. And unlike in many other common preparations for seafood, there's no butter or oil in sushi.

I don't eat sushi often because it is pretty expensive for my budget, but when I'm going out for dinner, that's always my first choice. A friend and I each got a 3-roll meal at a sushi restaurant recently that came with miso soup and a salad for only about $12. I'll take that over McDonalds any day :drool:

Vincent Vega said:

Where do you get your information from?

Because testings have shown that the healthiest fast food is kebap and sushi.

Fat and fat is not the same, and the omega-3 in fish is very healthy.
Also, there is no need to become too obsessed with fat.

I worked in a sushi bar for a short period of time. :wink:

I don't know why seaweed was considered that important that could make people eat sushi? Coz it's just part of my regular diet. Need them for seafood soups.

Anyway, just let you know that some sushi bar (at least the one I worked for and the other few my friends ever come a cross) put sugar in the rice when they cook, to make it taste sweeter. It's a normal trick for a lot of oriental restaurant. My another friend worked for a Chinese noodle bar, and they never use salt, but instead, mix salt and sugar at 1:1, coz taste really drive people to buy from your store than the others. They don't pay your medical treatement afterward anyway. :|

To make california roll, we put mayo in the rice before roll, to give the sushi for much better taste. It's true that no oil directly put into sushi, but indirectly? You bet.

I'm not try to convert people not buying or enjoying sushi, but I really think the extra information is needed to clearify something. Eat too much starch isn't going to do anything good for the health, IMHO. A healthier fast food isn't mean it is healthy for everyone or healthier than any other food.

If you question about the percentage of rice and vege + fish used in sushi making, try to make hand roll yourself and you'll know.

Last edited:
BonoIsMyMuse said:
Some places are even starting to make rolls with brown rice. Fish and nori (seaweed) are both very healthy, as are vegetables of course. How many people would eat seaweed otherwise? I know I sure wouldn't. And unlike in many other common preparations for seafood, there's no butter or oil in sushi.

A friend of mine I study with lives in a students' hostel, and last time we were there for some barbecue.
A Chinese student came with some dried nori you could eat as a snack, which tasted pretty good.
Should be available in Asian stores. :)

butter7 said:

I worked in a sushi bar for a short period of time. :wink:

I don't know why seaweed was considered that important that could make people eat sushi? Coz it's just part of my regular diet. Need them for seafood soups.

Anyway, just let you know that some sushi bar (at least the one I worked for and the other few my friends ever come a cross) put sugar in the rice when they cook, to make it taste sweeter. It's a normal trick for a lot of oriental restaurant. My another friend worked for a Chinese noodle bar, and they never use salt, but instead, mix salt and sugar at 1:1, coz taste really drive people to buy from your store than the others. They don't pay your medical treatement afterward anyway. :|

To make california roll, we put mayo in the rice before roll, to give the sushi for much better taste. It's true that no oil directly put into sushi, but indirectly? You bet.

I'm not try to convert people not buying or enjoying sushi, but I really think the extra information is needed to clearify something. Eat too much starch isn't going to do anything good for the health, IMHO. A healthier fast food isn't mean it is healthy for everyone or healthier than any other food.

If you question about the percentage of rice and vege + fish used in sushi making, try to make hand roll yourself and you'll know.

Well, fair enough, too much of everything is unhealthy.

We don't do so much sugar in our food, but use much salt.
I think in every country the food gets adapted to the taste of the people.
I know, for example, that sweet things in Denmark are much sweeter than in Germany, or that in Australia hot food is hotter.

It's news to me that now even rice is considered unhealthy in some way. But in general I don't care about what is healthy and what is not. I eat it, and I'm still alive. So who cares. :wink:
I don't eat too much fast food, only kebap and sometimes frozen pizza.

Last edited:
Vincent Vega said:

A friend of mine I study with lives in a students' hostel, and last time we were there for some barbecue.
A Chinese student came with some dried nori you could eat as a snack, which tasted pretty good.
Should be available in Asian stores. :)

Oh God :no: my Japanese teacher brought that in for us to try once, when I was a sophmore in high School...it was so bad the entire class left the room to go get a drink of water...

But he loves the stuff :lmao: To each his own ;)

bono_212 said:

Oh God :no: my Japanese teacher brought that in for us to try once, when I was a sophmore in high School...it was so bad the entire class left the room to go get a drink of water...

But he loves the stuff :lmao: To each his own ;)

Interesting.
It tasted pretty much like with sushi, only that the fish and wasabe was missing. :)

Tastes are different. :D

Mayo in sushi rolls :drool:

SoCal ....Samurai Sushi is the BEST PLACE EVER.

100_1285.jpg

Deep fried salmon and cream cheese tempura appetizers :drool:

Baked Salmon tempura/california roll with spicy crab meat :combust:

And some other concoction that was just deeeeeelish.

The real question is - if sushi were enjoyed by prostitutes, how would those prostitutes advertise?

Sicy said:

100_1285.jpg

:drool: :drool:

Sicy said:

100_1285.jpg

I don't like sushi but those look yummy! :drool:

I didnt like sushi either.. it was only up until maybe a year ago my friend made me go. I am not a fan of fish unless its deep fried and breaded :lol: But, I tried a california roll and I actually liked it. From there I expanded my tastes. I still wont eat anything raw though. Everything you see there is cooked :drool:

Back
Top Bottom