Steve Irwin gone too far?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Croc Hunter gone too far?

• Yes... this makes Michael Jackson hangin' his baby over a ledge look mild.

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • Eh... yea but no more than what jacko did.

Votes: 21 42.9%
  • Nah... he's an expert, he knew what he was doing.

Votes: 17 34.7%

• Total voters
5_21_300_crochunter1.jpg

1794893_200X150.jpg
sigroyir.jpg

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:
the tiger didn't lunge at roy... the tiger dragged roy to safety because it thought roy was in danger. even sigfried has said that... if that tiger wanted to harm roy, he'd be dead right now.

yes.

this version makes the tourists much more comfortable.

and helps to keep all those stuffed tigers flying off the gift store shelves!!!

good kitty!! :happy:

Pinball Wizard said:
He's doing the world a service...

:up:

PS- beli, there's also Yahoo Serious and the Barefooted Bushman.

Forgot about Yahoo, probably a good thing, really. I have never heard of the Barefooted Bushman. :huh: Whos that? Harry Butler? Sounds like its best that I dont know who he is.

He's so self obsessed and has been so consumed with his media image that he thinks he can do anything. Basically he's an embarrassment to Australia and as he is under investigation by the Child Protection Agency for this incident - I hope that they fine him so that he comes back to reality. No excuse for a one month old to be in that situation - no matter who you are.:mad:

Well the latest is that Steve Irwin "Crocodile Man" looks as though he is off the hook. Has been slapped on the wrist and made comments such as "If I did it next time I'd probably do it differently" Sounds like a lawyer quote. He has the support of the Premier and Dick Smith (who have some pull in Australia). So it looks like if you're famous (in your own mind) but do something stupid then that's okay......I still think it was bloody stupid!

He was on TV trying to explain, saying he wanted to 'teach his children' about safety around crocodiles. Sorry pal, one month old is a bit too young to learn :rolleyes:

I agree with Cass, I was more worried about the baby being jostled / shaken than being around the croc. Steve was showing off as I am sure he is thrilled to have a boy now. He should have waited until he was older.

Just think about the way he was holding that baby - one month old - support the head you ass - beside the danger he put that baby in!!!

He was one tv trying to say what a good father he was - and had his little girl sitting with him in a pink lace dress saying she wanted to be just like daddy - it was sick!!:mad:

Yeah I was noticing that on ET tonight- that's what I thought, a baby that young should have his head supported! His little neck could shake around and cause serious nerve damage. Mary Hart also mentioned the danger of germs and disease for the baby in the crock pen.

:eyebrow: I don't like Steve Irwin. I never did, and now he's just proved how stupid he is. I can't believe he's up for Australian of the Year (not that he'll get it now) ... there are plenty of responsible, hardworking people who do just as much good for animals, and probably would give Australia a better image, but no ... Queensland has to choose the egocentric idiot who just cares about his own image.

~*Buffalo*~ said:
:eyebrow: I don't like Steve Irwin. I never did, and now he's just proved how stupid he is. I can't believe he's up for Australian of the Year (not that he'll get it now) ... there are plenty of responsible, hardworking people who do just as much good for animals, and probably would give Australia a better image, but no ... Queensland has to choose the egocentric idiot who just cares about his own image.
I agree! Great quote. The trouble is that people that vote for these sort of things are driven by the media..... most of the people who do fantastic things never will be known..............

Well, seeing as how I can't find my last response to this thread (was it deleted? Where'd it go?) I'd say that parents do ridiculous things all the time to their kids, and no one thinks anything of it--because it's not on international television. Holding your child while cooking (you could easily have that pot tip over and spill hot water), or while walking down stairs (slip), could put your child in just as much jeopardy. You could take the samr risk walking down the street and petting a strange dog, or talking to a strange person.

What we don't see is the 100s of people working on the sidelines of the show--who are there in case anything DOES go wrong--who could have grabbed the croc, the baby, and steve if the croc would have lunged (and if it did, why would it have gone directly for the baby?).

The show itself is fixed---and very much so. I have no doubt that the baby was safe--there are things, as viewers, that we don't get to see. For all we know, that croc could have been half sedate, had dulled teeth, etc.

In response

The_Sweetest_Thing said:
Well, seeing as how I can't find my last response to this thread (was it deleted? Where'd it go?) I'd say that parents do ridiculous things all the time to their kids, and no one thinks anything of it--because it's not on international television. Holding your child while cooking (you could easily have that pot tip over and spill hot water), or while walking down stairs (slip), could put your child in just as much jeopardy. You could take the samr risk walking down the street and petting a strange dog, or talking to a strange person.

What we don't see is the 100s of people working on the sidelines of the show--who are there in case anything DOES go wrong--who could have grabbed the croc, the baby, and steve if the croc would have lunged (and if it did, why would it have gone directly for the baby?).

The show itself is fixed---and very much so. I have no doubt that the baby was safe--there are things, as viewers, that we don't get to see. For all we know, that croc could have been half sedate, had dulled teeth, etc.
With reply to your comments above I need to state the following:
It was not a televison show, it was at his park and he just decided to do it. The footage originally came from a video camera. I must also say that although I understand that you are trying to rationalise his behaviour with your comparison AS A PARENT there is no way ever! you would be so stupid as to hold your child while cooking etc. You would have to have a screw loose to let your child nowadays do the kind of things you have listed. I know that it is not a perfect world but my personal opinion is it doesn't happen to parents or kids I know and its not just because of the media footage its bad... he did a stupid thing and got caught. Its that simple. I am not wanting to offend you as each person to their own and your comments are valid and I respect you, but there is no way he believes in sedating animals (he's very vocal on that) and as a parent its pretty bad for a month old baby to be put in that position. Please understand my point of view. It needs to be left alone but should not be turned into something less than it was. Thanks.

Last edited:
I'm sure that in his mind the situation was totally controlled and non-dangerous (I also bet that's what many people think before it all turns to tragedy). For me the bottom line is, where huge wild animals are concerned there's just no 100% guarantee that something unpredictable won't happen, safety precautions or not.

Last edited:
Saracene said:
I'm sure that in his mind the situation was totally controlled and non-dangerous (I also bet that's what many people think before it all turns to tragedy). For me the bottom line is, where huge wild animals are concerned there's just no 100% guarantee that something unpredictable won't happen, safety precautions or not.
totally agree. You just don't work with kids and animals together.....

Re: In response

halo jones said:

I must also say that although I understand that you are trying to rationalise his behaviour with your comparison AS A PARENT there is no way ever! you would be so stupid as to hold your child while cooking etc. You would have to have a screw loose to let your child nowadays do the kind of things you have listed. I know that it is not a perfect world but my personal opinion is it doesn't happen to parents or kids I know

...whoa. I think you give humanity much too much too much credit here. There are A LOT of stupid people out there and A LOT of bad parents. You would be utterly shocked at the amount of children who visit hospitals for injuries like I mentioned earlier. What parent *wouldn't* hold their kid while going down steps? Remember Survivor I? The very first finale? A friend of mine is a nurse--she said that parents at the hospital actually refused to hold/feed their newbown children until the finale was over--they were so engrossed in it. And while that's disgusting, it's not even the worst example of child neglect/endangerment/all of the above that could be listed. There are parents that willingly expose their children to drugs. OR give them drugs--heroin even, at young ages. It takes all kinds. Parents take risks with their children every single day--I'm sure to Steve, with his line of work, he wasn't doing anything he thought, at the time, was a huge risk. He works with crocs every single day, so to him, the risks are lessened as he knows how to handle them better, feed them, knows their temperaments, etc.

..besides, we know nothing about that croc. Could have been the most tame, well behaved of the bunch. Who knows?

I'm not saying what Steve did was right and I'm not trying to insult anyone in any way here. Granted, sure, I would never do what he did, but society leeches onto the mistakes that these celebrites make and then publicize them for the entire world, repeatedly. And for what? We get worked up about this child--the child none of us knows of a trained professional--when there are 100s of 1000s of children in worse situations in our own countries, town, cities...heck, probably right across the street, and we don't even know it. We would do better to aid these families first than to criticize a celebrity in a lifestyle we know nothing about.

Last edited:
Re: Re: In response

The_Sweetest_Thing said:

Okay this is the last post I am writing on this and I will put it to bed. Agree with a huge portion that you said. I put my money where my mouth is though. I see children in huge droves who have nothing and been living on the streets etc. Beaten and even needing food or water in my line of charity and paid work. I know that it happens but what I was objecting to so strongly was that he as a celebrity, justified himself on public television using politicians and media to show he was right. This could go on endlessly but I do not wish to debate the worlds parenting as each to their own and I do agree with lots that you have posted but I am old, and have lived and seen more than you could imagine at times. I don't walk around with blinders on and spend much of my spare time helping others that most people wouldn't be bothered with so I know where you are coming from. This just really gave me the shits that he was not even considering the what ifs or his baby? Just that he was a star and he knew better than everyone else. Hope that there is no offense taken with this view as it is just my opinion. Later.

Well Steve didnt win Australian of the Year. Some cricket bloke did. Although Im glad Steve didnt win I kinda hoped the chick that did the skin grafting on the Bali victims would have won. I do get annoyed with this countrys habit of honouring sports people all the time. A bit of balance with some non sports people would be good. </rant>

beli, meet slomey, he is a dutch bloke with a completely heterosexual love of many men such as steve waugh, adam clayton, and guy sebastian.

Hi Salome :up:

I like Adam too, can we drool together?

(You can keep Steve and Guy to yourself)

Knew a Dutch bloke once, from Friesland, pinched my butt in front of my husband and his wife, while I was playing pool. :huh:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom