stateless meaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heinz

The Fly
Can anyone tell me the meaning of Stateless or where I can find the meanings of the songs from Million Dollar Hotel?

thanks

U2: Into the Heart by Niall Stokes has it all. The most recent goes through ATYCLB, including Passengers and Million Dollar Hotel. Here is the section on stateless:

'Stateless' came out of a soundcheck jam. U2 were in Australia and felt comfortable enough before the upcoming show to let the music flow through them. the band's sound engineer, Joe O'Herlihy, routinely stored the raw material on a DAT. They came back to it during the recording of All That You Can't Leave Behind. "There was always this beautiful seed rendition," Daniel Lanois says. "To this day it's very, very uplifting. It's mostly Bono- he picked up Edge's guitar, with those huge sounds, and came up with this thing on the spot. We tried to get this on the U2 record."

But it didn't quite fit. Besides, Bono had other fish to fry. He started to hear it over the scene in Million Dolar Hotel where Tom Tom jumps off the roof. It would have made a certain amount of sense.
"I ain't got no home in the world," Bono sings, echoing the bluegrass spiritual 'This World Is Not My Home', "just gravity, luck and time/I ain't got no home in this world/Just you and you're not mine/stateless/weightless."

In the end they had to find a home for it elewhere in the movie but it still provides one of the magic moments where music and visuals elide with a quiet power. It's a classic U2 idea, conjuring the spectre of the ininerant spirit that haunts
Zooropa, on 'Stay (Faraway So Close)' and 'The Wanderer' in particular. "It's like a Robert Johnson blues," Bono reflects. "It's sort of a sci-fi blues." A different kind of blues, you might say.

I hope that helps. The book is great, BTW. All the stories behind all the songs, great pictures, and whoever was in charge of captioning the pictures has a really funny dry sense of humor.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom