Spiderman News

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds cool. Judging from the past, these side projects have produced some good stuff - seems to keep their creative juices flowing.

The Edge on: Spider man (QU2)

U2 reveal all about Spiderman Musical - News - QTheMusic.com

U2’s Spiderman musical could open within a year, guitarist The Edge has revealed.

He and Bono have been writing the music and lyrics for the project which is being made with Tony-winning director Julie Taymor.

Speaking for the first time about the project, The Edge said a number of the songs had already been written and the musical is “in a pretty good state”.

In an interview for the new edition of Q, he explained: “I think the musical had its heyday back in the ’40s, ’50s, ’60s era. I don’t think there’s been anything that interesting done in it since … Anyway, we’ve always harboured this sneaky ambition that maybe one day we might try our hand in that area."

Since hooking up with Taymor, who won Tonys for her work on Disney's Lion King, Bono and The Edge have teamed up with scriptwriter Glenn Berger. "He’s come up with some great dialogue. The overall story was really Julie working with Glenn, and Bono and myself riding shotgun with the odd idea here and there – as they do for the songs.

"We love to delve into other people’s creative worlds and figure out how it all happens. We’ve written a lot of the songs at this point. It’s in a pretty good state, and I hope it’ll open this year. We’re not sure where in the world, but most likely it will be in New York."

It is not the first time U2 have been associated with a comic book movie - they wrote the theme for Batman Forever, Hold Me Thrill Kiss Me Kill Me which featured an animated version of the band in the promo.

The guitarist said he and Bono would be around for a "good few weeks" of the rehearsals: "There won’t be a full orchestra – it’ll be something like 18 or 20 musicians: string players, brass, some woodwind. The core will be a rock’n’roll band. But it is going to be interesting to write for other people. We have already written a lot of songs that are for women to sing. That’s a whole other set of challenges, to write in the right key and all those technical things."

12:32 AM | 30/12/2008

maybe i'm alone in this, but i have no interest in this project whatsoever. i just want a strong U2 album.

Do I detect a Phantom of the Opera fanatic?

oh man you got me! i fecking love musicals! hahaha :D

seriously though, there has been some interesting stuff going on lately, Damon Albarn's "Monkey: Journey to the West" comes to mind in particular...

maybe i'm alone in this, but i have no interest in this project whatsoever. i just want a strong U2 album.

I agree.

Bono and Edge don't want to write a shit musical, which means that they are giving some of their best ideas to this project. Considering that (along with Eno possibly) they are the principle idea men in the band, it's really inevitable that some would-have-been U2 ideas were shanghaied.

While I have never really thought a double album was a great idea, I'd think that those who were clamoring for one would probably be a little put-off by this.

Um, has Edge ever heard of Broadway?
Hello, hello?
What an arrogant statement to make....

Spiderman= dumb.

Um, has Edge ever heard of Broadway?
Hello, hello?
What an arrogant statement to make....

Spiderman= dumb.

Edge certainly wouldn't be the only one to dismiss Broadway productions as poppy shit, designed for mass appeal. Not that I agree, but cultural elitists would likely take that view.

This would only beg the question: what makes him think a pop/rock group is going to deliver something so artistically superior and "genuine"?

Look, I'd be all for Bono and Edge doing some amazing music for a musical...I guess. As long as the u2 album kicks ass.
But Spiderman? Lame. It's been done to death in the movies. Blah. High art? Yeah.....about spiderman........gimmee a fucking break.

Look, I'd be all for Bono and Edge doing some amazing music for a musical...I guess. As long as the u2 album kicks ass.
But Spiderman? Lame. It's been done to death in the movies. Blah. High art? Yeah.....about spiderman........gimmee a fucking break.

yeah, i would rather they had written the score for The Dark Knight or something. i've always considered Spiderman a douchebag.

Completely agree. If they went all out for a musical, it should have been at least semi-original. Or based on a book. Or at least not based on a freaking superhero. I can't imagine this translating well to Broadway/live performance.

This is like a bad dream...

This is gunna SUCK.

I never thought of Edge as a arrogant person, but how much does he know about Broadway? How many shows has he seen? "Heyday back in the 40's and 50's?"...excuse me, have you seen any recent shows Mr. Edge? No? You haven't? Then kindly STFU.

Spiderman and U2 just don't mix...Dark Knight, see that would be cool. But I'm sure Bono would find a way to fuck it up...I say that lovingly...LOLO

No, Dark Knight would not be cool either. Precisely because it is "cool" right now, just like Spiderman was 5 years ago. They are both superheroes that belong on on the silver screen not on the stage.

The amount of ignorance on this issue is amazing.

Bitch about something no one has even heard or seen yet.

If they want to do a musical and work with Spiderman, it's ok, no matter if some fans like musicals or Spiderman or not. Maybe this will be very original and great in the end. I'm sure all of you will run to see it if you have the chance to. I know I would.

U2 have always had various side projects. For all I care they could write an opera or an orchestral piece and it would be fine for me, because I respect their interest in different musical genres and in trying out different things.

If they want to do a musical and work with Spiderman, it's ok, no matter if some fans like musicals or Spiderman or not. Maybe this will be very original and great in the end. I'm sure all of you will run to see it if you have the chance to. I know I would.

U2 have always had various side projects. For all I care they could write an opera or an orchestral piece and it would be fine for me, because I respect their interest in different musical genres and in trying out different things.

Your defense here is convoluted and not really to the point. Do I want to hear the music? Yes. Would I go see the play? Maybe, especially if it received glowing reviews from non-biased critics. The point here is Spiderman. Spiderman. It sounds like Bono's sons chose this project for them. So could it be good? Yes. But would I have preferred they chose a different project? Definitely.

Overall, I've mostly shrugged my shoulders when this project has come up, but the fact that this may have stolen away some relevant musical creativity is a bit off-putting for me. Not to mention the length of wait for the new album.

And finally, your accusation of ignorance is off-base, offensive, and frankly laughable.

Your defense here is convoluted and not really to the point. Do I want to hear the music? Yes. Would I go see the play? Maybe, especially if it received glowing reviews from non-biased critics. The point here is Spiderman. Spiderman. It sounds like Bono's sons chose this project for them. So could it be good? Yes. But would I have preferred they chose a different project? Definitely.

Overall, I've mostly shrugged my shoulders when this project has come up, but the fact that this may have stolen away some relevant musical creativity is a bit off-putting for me. Not to mention the length of wait for the new album.

And finally, your accusation of ignorance is off-base, offensive, and frankly laughable.

thank you. :) yeah. i don't like being accused of ignorance because i don't like Spiderman.

And here you come again with your defiant aggression towards everyone who has one negative or even slightly negative, or even hints at the possibility of it being less than great, attitude.
Jesus, get a life and stop being the den mother of this frickin board.

You think Spiderman is cool. Awesome. Go rent all three movies. Maybe go dress up in the costume and listen to HTDAAB for the millionth time.
Happy New Year.

So much judgement with so little knowledge (of anything to do with this "Spiderman" project that is)...
That's ignorance (of the subject being discussed) in my book... :reject: Hell I'm ignorant about it. It does get a bit tiresome hearing so much negativity about something that none of us know anything about though. No offense intended...

In an interview for the new edition of Q, he explained: “I think the musical had its heyday back in the ’40s, ’50s, ’60s era. I don’t think there’s been anything that interesting done in it since

Pretty sure THAT is ignorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom