Spiderman News

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
well, if they're going to work on the songs after the US Leg is over, then it's probably safe to say we won't get SOA this year (not that it was ever real likely).

This will give them about a month and a 1/2 to work on the music before they'll take a break for the holidays (they usually do this); and then maybe have another month after xmas before they have to start rehearsing again.

It'll be interesting to see what happens, but my hopes are not high. I still think the next U2 album will be something like 2012.

It'll be interesting to see what happens, but my hopes are not high. I still think the next U2 album will be something like 2012.
That's still pretty fast for U2 if you compare it to the last few albums.:wink:

I was just watching Alan Cumming on Jimmy Fallon and he was talking about his role in Spider-man. He said he has the CD with the music and he went all fanboy and said "and all the songs have BONO singing!!" and he said that they wrote "to Alan from Bono and Edge" on it and he has it hanging on his wall. :cute:

That's the version of the CD that I want. :wink:

Let's hope somebody 'Mercy''s the thing. Hearing Edge/Bono sing the songs would save me the trip to see the show, unless the visuals really are mind-boggling.

I still wish Jim Sturgess had stuck around as Peter Park :angry:.

No he wasn't but he was offered it and did sing the songs with Bono and Edge there. (I think he did it for them to help them out and hear the way the songs sounded with a different singer than Bono.) He just didn't take it, said he had other commitments. He talks about it in detail in the article posted above.

No he wasn't but he was offered it and did sing the songs with Bono and Edge there. (I think he did it for them to help them out and hear the way the songs sounded with a different singer than Bono.) He just didn't take it, said he had other commitments.
Yeah, I know. I know someone who was at those auditions and I heard a bit of one the songs with Sturgess singing.

More Delays Expected for Spider-Man Musical - ArtsBeat Blog - NYTimes.com

The new multimillion-dollar Broadway “Spider-Man, Turn Off the Dark” is now expected to start previews and open this spring later than scheduled, because of weeks of production delays and ongoing difficulties recruiting additional investors for the show, according to executive involved in the production.

“Spider-Man” had been scheduled to begin previews Feb. 25 and open in March, but the executive said in an interview Thursday evening that there was “no way” that rehearsals for the musical would begin on schedule later this fall. The executive spoke on condition of anonymity because the producers have not authorized any comment about the musical.

The executive cited the backlog of pre-production and casting work that has accumulated since early August, when work on the show was halted because lead producer David Garfinkle had not secured enough money to meet budget commitments and pay bills for some construction work. Some work resumed for the production at the Hilton Theater in early October after cash flow had improved somewhat.

No final decision had been made for new dates for previews, nor has a date been set for opening night, the executive said, but added that the producers were now aiming for later in spring 2010.

In recent weeks, Bono, the U2 front man who co-wrote the music and lyrics, has sought to recruit new investors, as has Mr. Garfinkle and the co-writer of the book, Julie Taymor, and the executive said that there had been some success toward that end, but could not provide details.

The executive cautioned that the timing – not to mention the efforts to raise money for the show – were still in flux, and that an announcement would be made at some point this fall once Ms. Taymor is able to lock in a “realistic” timetable to start rehearsals.

Mr. Garfinkle declined to comment on the status of the musical, a spokesman for the producers said Thursday evening.

it would be great to hear these songs the edge and bono are talking about. hopefully we will.....with them playing.

You know, that's a really, really informative article. Way to go digging LA Times.

Want my hands on that hour-long music preview DVD:drool::drool:

I understand the show was the focus, but I wish the reporter had been knowledgeable enough of U2's fanbase and its ravenous desire for all things U2 to know that we would've liked a more detailed song/sound description.

Honestly if Bono and Edge really wanted this to fly, they'd cough up the extra money, all us ticketbuyers know they have it. But I think as much as they like their music, even they doubt the commercial viability of this.

Honestly if Bono and Edge really wanted this to fly, they'd cough up the extra money, all us ticketbuyers know they have it. But I think as much as they like their music, even they doubt the commercial viability of this.

i wish he'd save Africa this way too.

i wish he'd save Africa this way too.

:lol: At the moment he's done more for that than for Spider-Man, and I'm just fine with that, but it's easily within his power to cough up $10m, it'd take the GDP of quite a few countries and no corruption to 'save' Africa.

Michael Cohl has joined the production as lead producer on the show. Jeremiah J. Harris is now second producer on the show. The full producing team for SPIDER-MAN Turn Off The Dark is Michael Cohl, Jeremiah J. Harris, HELLO Entertainment/David Garfinkle, Marvel Entertainment/David Maisel, and Sony Pictures Entertainment.

The producers said that full financing for SPIDER-MAN is expected to be in place shortly. Once this happens the show will resume full production. The show will open in 2010 at the Hilton Theatre in New York.

SPIDER-MAN Update: Reeve Carney to Play Peter Parker; 'Show Will Open in 2010'; Cohl Lead Producer 2009/11/06

YouTube - Reeve Carney is Spiderman!

You know, that's a really, really informative article. Way to go digging LA Times.

Want my hands on that hour-long music preview DVD:drool::drool:

I understand the show was the focus, but I wish the reporter had been knowledgeable enough of U2's fanbase and its ravenous desire for all things U2 to know that we would've liked a more detailed song/sound description.

The DVD exists, so at some point it will leak online. These things always do. This LA Times journalist has clearly seen it, and heard the songs. Who's to say he didn't get to make a copy of his own...? Once a physical product passes outside of an insider 'circle of trust', its security is compromised and, digital media being what it is today, can be widely shared before the lawyers start issuing cease and desist notices. Mr Horn's source(s) were already in breach of whatever agreements they may have signed just by allowing him to view the DVD, and listen to the songs - so why not go a bit further and let him have a copy of his own, or at least look the other way?

But, the way I read the article, I'm not sure if Bono and Edge's songs are actually on the DVD. My perception is that the DVD is more concerned with staging ideas and visuals, with the music possibly being on a separate source (probably CDR). I would agree that it would make sense for the songs to be on this showreel, but that's not the sense I got from the article.

In any case, no matter what Edge says, I still doubt if Spiderman will ever get off the ground. Or, if it does, it'll not be financially sustainable and will end up being a huge flop. I get the sense that Bono and Edge may not be fully au fait with the production machinations at work here - who's actually in charge? I think that they put a lot of faith in Julie Taymor, but she's clearly not holding the purse strings. I have no doubt that this production, if even feasible, would be a technical marvel, but suspect that it could end up making headlines for all the wrong reasons.

They can make DVDs that will only function for a short period of time to prevent it from making the rounds, who knows though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom