Songs of Innocence Promo Tour - Discussion Thread #2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why the fuck didn't edge do this guitar part here during the chorus on the album version? With the production it would have boosted California tremendously!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I much prefer Tuesdays "Every Breaking Wave", Bono sounded less shouty/forced and visually it was better too, like the musicians/TV crew had all hit their stride by then. I'm off out now but what I'd like, though, is for everyone to engage in a vicious 12 page debate on which versions were better, please! :up: a Tuesday v Friday running gag can't be much worse than some of the others I've seen here

I'm afraid I'm just not crazy about EBW. I think it's an okay song. I don't love the new chorus, and I didn't love the old one either. It's got a nice verse melody and some decent lyrics...but the "if you go" part just sounds oddly tacked on, and I think the Jools Holland performance unfortunately shows off just how weak that transition is. I guess I prefer the album version because I like the shimmering production. This live version is just too overly serious. I don't think the song's THAT emotional. And those "on the street" and "defeat" lines sound reeeaaally weak coming from Bono; Edge needs to back him up there.

You misread me. I was saying just the opposite. 125,000 posts does not make you valid. It just makes you really really old. It was snark. But on the other hand I think there is much more leeway with longtime posters.

I feel incredibly young now!

Friday's show is recorded from 8 on a Tuesday night before they do a shorter version live at 10. I think sometimes if they do a better performance on the live broadcast that just gets put in the Friday edition. (Though that might be bollocks)

Bands also get a chance to record a song again if they aren't happy with it/are asked to by the show, which explains the quite clunky edit at the start of the second verse of California.

Then Why did Interol go with that the performance of all the rage, that was abysmal. Missed notes everywhere!

Either EBW is a different performance, or they fixed Bono's vocal - he missed some lines in the middle 8 on tuesday

Hah, I had the same thought :p

Regardless, using one's post count as some sort of metric in determining a poster's worth is kinda funny.

Apparently I'm averaging .67 posts a day... can I qualify for mensa?? :scratch:

I actually experienced reversed postism. When I had 660 posts and predicated the album would be out on November, a poster dismissed my claim because of my low post count!

We need to suspend posters who practice postism and they should be suspended! :)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GzvlPBQoDCU

If this was already posted, then ignore it but I thought this was an awesome interview!

They talk about the album(obviously), their childhood, their parents and the iTunes rollout.

Highlights:

Bono comments that the album has now been experienced by close to 100 million (at least 1 song) and downloaded 30 million times.

Bono tells a story about the song Iris and how it came together and that right before the launch he regretted putting it on the album only to then realize it was meant to be on it given given that the album was released almost to the day over her passing X years before.

Bono tells a funny story about his father being at an event and meeting Princess Diana.

Edge shared some cool stories about his mom

Both of them talking about their kids and how Edge has "Bono's son" and Bono has "Edge's son"

Bono addressed the "Bono bashing" basically, when the shit storm arrives, he has a "shit storm umbrella" that he opens. He also shared his thoughts on the "internet haters" with a cool analogy about how when he was younger he would walk into a men's room stall and all you would see were the nastiest, meanest, dirtiest things written on all 4 walls. He then said, "now, you walk into a bathroom stall and...nothing! You know why, it's all in the blogosphere".

He mentioned how he thought it was generous of Apple to give the album away to its users (he reiterated that Apple gave it away, not them). He basically said, the charts are broken and you only have a small portion of good people who still actually buy music, iTunes users, and Apple wanted to give them a gift.

Very good interview and a must watch for any U2 fan (there are also the two performances of The Miracle and EBW)

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Does it mean something that Stuck is the first non-SoI song played on the promo tour? Not Vertigo, Beautiful Day, Desire, but Stuck.

Yeah I hope so. I'm a fan of Stuck so it kind of....stuck....out to me.
I've always loved Stuck, it was just the Bono & Edge acoustic versions that I'm not a fan of. Other than that, I'm really liking the new arrangement with Edge playing piano.

Just watched the Graham Norton show what an excellent performance and as usual the guys humor especially the self deprecating stuff was gold... gold Jerry gold!!!

Why can't I get Edge's guitar riff from California out of my head from that Jools Holland show?

Help!

Someone!

Anyone!

It's such a great guitar hook and God only knows (no pun intended) why it wasn't used in the studio version of the song.

God only knows (no pun intended).

If no pun was intended , then you would have used correct grammar and said "only God knows." Or were you saying that that is the only thing that God knows? Sorry. The editor in me couldn't let that slip without a snarky comment.

Sent from my HTCONE using U2 Interference mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom