Sometimes you can't make it on your own

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ava79

Refugee
Oh dear, why do all the bad things have to happen all at once..?

As some of you know, my grandfather passed away last week. I do miss him and I am sad that he is no longer around, but I'm also glad that he doesn't have to suffer anymore, as he was seriously ill.

However, an hour ago I received an email from one of my best friends. She's going to have an emergency operation as they had found a large tumour in her uterus. My friend is only 23 years old and now she may have to have a hysterectomy.

I'm in a great shock and I feel it's all a bit too much now, especially as I'm leaving to Iceland in just a couple of weeks for the entire summer. I can only hope and pray that the operation will be succesful and that my friend can keep her uterus and that the tumour isn't dangerous. I'd so want to go see her but I'm in the middle of my exams and she lives so far away that I can't go see her just like that. Fortunately I know that she's got several other friends there so that she doesn't have to go thru this all alone. But yet I feel so helpless in this situation.

Life is so cruel sometimes. :(

:hug:

I'll pray for your friend -- that's such an awful news... :sad:
Hope she can recover soon and that u're future will be great!!

Thank you, lady luck. :hug:

I'm quite positive that everything's going to be just fine, but for as long as there are no facts I'm just hoping and praying for the best.

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your grandfather, and now the news of your friend. Your friend and you will be in my thoughts and prayers. Praying for all the best for her. :hug: :hug:

Sometimes you can't make it on your own....

....but you are not on your own! As you are there for your friend even if not in person, you have us! I'll pray for you and your friend! :hug:

This is one of the reasons I love PLEBA. The people in it are so supportive and helpful.
I'm sorry for your loss Ava and pray that everything will work out ok. Just make sure you enjoy your trip to Iceland and like scha said, you aren't on your own!

I know what you mean. Seems everything is happening all at once.. not to me necessarily, but to people in my life. It's tough, but you always know you'll come out the other side :hug: In the meantime we're here to dispense hugs whenever needed :heart:

Im so sorry about your grandfather and your friend Ava. Hope everything turns out very well. Remember to always stay positive :). If you need anything than please don't hesistate to let me know :hug: All of you are in my prayers and thoughts.

Thanks guys, you are the best! :heart:

I'm not quite as upset anymore as I was yesterday and my thoughts are as positive as they can be. I talked to my friend last night and she said she's feeling very positive too...she's quite amazing. I don't know if I could be that strong if I were her. But I know that when you have kind and caring people around you, nothing's impossible. :hug:

Have a beautiful day everyone, and carpe diem. ;)

Hi there

Just wanted you to know that my hubby and I went through our 'annus horribilus' watching my father in law battle acutely aggressive leukaemia, and losing him a few months later...I learnt one major thing during that intensely emotional rollercoaster.....You cannot change a majority of the situations that yourself and loved ones face. Don't waste precious energy stressing about what you can or can't do differently. Instead focus that energy into being there for them either physically, if practical, or emotionally. You still have your life to live to its full potential and for many people, just knowing that you care about them and have them in your thoughts is enough to get them through. Its a tough time. There is nothing more devastating than losing someone you love, or watching the fear and suffering of a friend. I can absolutely understand where you are coming from.
Be strong

Kim

Thanks Kim, you are so right. If I were ill I certainly wouldn't want my friends to stop living their lives just because of me. It is all about seizing the day really, and knowing what is important to you. And as we all know, life is just too damn serious to be taken seriously... :wink:

:( :(
I'm sorry for you loss
and the trauma of your friend.....

you & her will be in my prayers..........I'm glad she does have other epople close by to her, and I'd feel awful if I couldn't get to someone {I've have had close freinds living far FAR away at times} I cared alot for.

I'm sure she knows IF you COULD you would....and When I'm in a bad sate I sometimes remember to imagine the friends I have around me as beautful candles with glorious light...their love & caring around me.

maybe while you're preparing for your trip if you can sqeeze a few bucks out and call her by phone...if she'd like tthat...

i've never seen your posts et al... some i don't know a thing about you ....but i hope this might help a bit.
:hug: :hug:

Thanks for your kind words everybody! :hug: I've always said that U2 fans are a great, friendly bunch of people and this has proven me right!

Well, my grandfather will be buried on Saturday and no doubt it will be a tough day. However I am glad that we have a big, loving family so no one needs to grieve alone. And to think of the funeral from another point of view, I'll be so happy to see all my lovely aunts and cousins...and that's what my grandfather would want too, to see his children and grandchildren having a good time together.

As for my friend, well there's nothing new to tell. The doctors aren't able to tell her much until the surgery is done (she'll go to the hospital next week). If the tumour is dangerous, i.e. it's cancer she'll be having a hysterectomy but if it's not then they'll probably be able to save her uterus. Needless to say we all hope for the best. I'm going to go see her at the end of next week and I'm really looking forward to it.

Thank you once again for everything, you can't imagine how much positive energy you have given me! "We get to carry each other, carry each other..."

I join everyone else in my thoughts and prayers for you both. As an idea, for when you go see your friend, why don't you print out all these good wishes. She'll no doubt be moved by all the well wishers knowing that people are out there who care.

And be strong on Saturday. Take comfort from the people around you. And take heart that your grandad had such a big, warm family to love him. :hug:

Ava :hug: hope Saturday isn't too hard on you. Hopefully by seeing your loved ones it will help you quite a bit.

I lost my grandfather suddenly at the end of January and he wished to be cremeated. So instead of a funeral we had a memorial service. As one can imagine it was a painful thing to go through. However there were happy moments that made it so much easier to deal with. Like having my oldest brother home who I rarely get to see. My grandfather would have wanted it this way.

youvedonewhat said:
I As an idea, for when you go see your friend, why don't you print out all these good wishes. She'll no doubt be moved by all the well wishers knowing that people are out there who care.

That's a brilliant idea! That's exactly what I'm going to do and I'm sure my friend is going to be very touched to see all these wishes. She's a bit of an U2 fan herself so I know she'll appreciate your thoughts and prayers. And so do I, once again I want to thank you all for your kind words. :hug: This is the place to be both in joy and in sorrow! :yes:

I prey for you Ava. 23 is so young, I'm 24 myself. At that age you don't think that you could be diagnosed with a serious illness. The fact she is so young, is hopefully in her favour.

I am sorry to hear about your Grandfather:( . At least he is free from that suffering and pain he was experiencing during his illness

:hug: My thoughts and prayers are with you. I just lost my grandmother, so loss of loved one is not new to me. Also I am used to things happening in three's or more, so keep your head on straight and one step in front of the other. You will get through this. Now focus on your friend's surgery and RECOVERY! I am not really religious, but I do believe that things happen to us for reasons, and that G-d doesn't give us more than we can handle. These difficult things that we are confronted with in our lifetime only makes us stronger. Take good care.

Ava, I'm still thinking of you... I'm hoping that all will turn out for the better, I really do. Take care, and try to keep hoping for the best, even if it's difficult! :hug:

Saturday is over now. I hope it wasn't too harsh for you. It's now the beginning of a new road. Take it slowly. Meantime, I hope that things go well for your friend. She'll appreciate your being there for her.:hug:

Thank you again for all your support. :hug: Saturday (and the whole weekend actually) was tough, I am still totally exhausted. The funeral was beautiful and although we all cried a lot, we also laughed a lot. Saturday really opened up my eyes to see how great my family is, my aunties who are like big sisters to me, my cousins, all of them. It's a blessing to have them in my life and I know that no matter what happens, I will never be alone. I know I'm very lucky.

I will go see my friend at the end of this week and she's already gotten your messages (I printed them out and sent with a letter), and she wanted me to tell you how much she appreciates your thoughts and prayers. Obviously it had been very touching for her to read all these wishes, but only in a positive way.

Carek, so sorry to hear about your grandmother. My thoughts are with you. :hug:

Since you guys gave me so much support and positive energy, I thought I'd tell you that my friend had the surgery a month ago and everything went fine! They were able to save her uterus and she didn't have cancer, so it couldn't have been much better. It was such a relief as you can imagine.

Thank you once more for the positive vibes, I will never forget how much strength I got from you! :heart: :hug:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom