Some very unhappy news about the Propaganda Code letters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ramblin rose said:
Last night I replied again, this time copying all of the executives listed previously in this thread from signature network. And the tone of my last email was a bit sarcastic.

I'll get some enjoyment out of doing this too... But I think you are right. We are just screwed. U2 should hire better than this... I'm a little angry at them as well.

We're probably better off donating the money to the tsunami relief than paying these morons.

msbarb said:
I'm with you d. This is just ridiculous. I joined in 2001 and I got 2 or possibly 3 issues. I must have been on their list when they sent my magazines cuz I know they didn't send them to the entire population. What the hell happened??

Is Cecilia at info@numb.ie?

She's cecilia@numb.ie. I don't know who checks the info address but I never got a response from that one.

Yes, but I seemed to get joy from the info@numb.ie address. I'm guessing part of the problem is because of the database Propaganda used in the old days - it never seemed to be the most reliable one in the first place. To start off with dodgy info and then pass that on to another company, you're going to have problems.

This is a problem that should have been sorted out years ago by Prop, in that respect I do feel a bit sorry for Fanfire as they've inherited this mess. There's no excusing their shoddy customer service though.

I had gotten several of those exact emails as well. I replied to each one very strongly worded. I replied to the last one I received as of last week saying the following.(not sure if this is the one that helped or not but...)
~~~~~
One problem with this letter. My subscription has NOT lapsed. I am still owed 3 out of the 4 issues of Propaganda that we will NEVER SEE. Explain to me how that can mean that my subscription has lapsed.
Also, please explain how you haven't been able to yet figure out that there is an entire segment of Propaganda members MISSING from the database you received from the Propaganda people. Why have you to this date still not attempted to get that missing segment?
I expect either a full refund of my $20 immediately or the discount that I am entitled to.
Thank you
(my info yet again)
I did FINALLY recieve the code yesterday after sending this last email last week.

Last edited:
Here was my response their email I received today that my information was not found:

Hello,

How can I make you understand that my subscription has not been fulfilled?
How do I prove to you that I was a current member when Propaganda handed the
club over to you? Why can't you give me the benefit of the doubt? Do you
think I'm just trying to weasle out of paying the extra $20.

I will NOT join the new U2 fan club for the simple reason that if you don't
trust me, I don't trust you either. And I have a much better reason for not
trusting.

I again sent another email...

CCing Cecelia this time...

To Whom it May Concern at FanFire,
I am going to attempt to explain yet again to explain my situation. I subscribed to Propaganda in late 2000 to 2001. I paid 20 dollars and only received 2 of 4 issues that I was entitled to. Without psychic abilities how was I to foresee that Propaganda would no longer exist come 2001 and had I those powers I would of known to hold onto my Propaganda Member ID that was on the address label of the envelope that the magazine came in (who actually keeps the plastic envelopes anyways?). Propaganda stopped taking new subscriptions or renewals in 2001. My address at time of subscription was: [edited home address - neutral]
. I have since moved twice because my husband is in the Navy. I now reside at: [edited home address - neutral]

**Cecelia,
I wanted to make you aware of this situation. It is among hundreds of others that are in the same situation. Can you please help out somehow with this? Can anything be done about it? Anything you or someone can do to help would truely appreciated!
Thanks in advance.!
Amy Phillips

:mad: :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah i see that jesse thanks...looks like the mods took it out...

I don't have an issue with that but if its policy at interference about posting personal info then I am thankful they edited it out for me..

thanks neutral!

I'm dragging up this older thread as I'm happy to report that U2.com/FanFire are still giving out codes.

My friend in Chicago, who doesn't play on the various U2 boards (to the best of my knowledge) but was aware of the Propaganda discount, kept calling until he finally got his code.

In contrast, I kept e-mailing and just today, I finally got my code.

It helps to send e-mails to all the e-mail addresses listed here. I also HIGHLY recommend you list your Propaganda ID number, the address you had where your last issue of Propaganda was mailed to and your current address.

But as of January 3rd, they are still giving out some codes - so hopefully this is good news to the people who are waiting.

I got a series of email replies yesterday...no results...one inquiry about my name and address, which I had already supplied, one email saying they were checking into it (both of those from "Tammy", I wonder if she realizes she responded to me twice within minutes of each other with 2 different answers) and a few minutes later a separate email like many got, regretting to inform me that I am not a currently active subscriber (which is erroneous). I guess today I'll have to start with the phone calls.

fyi guys..
I got a response from Cecila. Recommending I email someone at signatures.net

Here's what I wrote..

To whom it may concern,
It was suggested by Cecilia Coffey that I forward this on to you. I hope that you can help out in some way. I appreciate anything that can be done. Also, think that you should be aware of this situation being that I am one of hundreds of U2 Fans who are in the same situation. It seems that Fanfire was unprepared in handling this magnitude of U2 Fans and memberships. For the record, we U2 fans are very concerned that the presale of tickets via u2.com is going to turn into a complete disaster considering the way propaganda members were treated.
If you truely want to know how bad it is I highly suggest you visit interference.com. A U2 message board where over 28,000 u2 fans visit on a daily basis. A lot of us have posted our complaints and concerns there regarding this and other issues. The forum to check out is called" everything you know is wrong".

I hope that something can be done and look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks in advance,
Amy Phillips

To: "Amy Phillips"
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 13:14:34 -0000
Subject: RE: RF: Unable to Locate Information

Pls e-mail SBentley@signaturesnet.com

OMG! I just found my u2.com discount code in my email box. I have been calling and emailing since 12/19 in an effort to get this code. I received the infamous "As requested we referenced our list of current and active members for verification of your status, but, unfortunately were unable to locate any information..." email about a week ago. Of course, I shot off email to all the FanFire/Signatures Network email addresses listed in this thread, expressing my "disappointment." I even told them I didn't care if I got the code at this point because I didn't trust them and wouldn't use it. I was basically letting them know that there are a great number of us having a problem and it warranted some investigation on their part. If someone was a Prop subscriber, the only right thing to do is make sure they have the option of joining the U2.com fanclub.

I'm posting this in the hopes that all of you who are still waiting will get your code. I had no proof to offer that my subscription was still active and I don't know what changed their minds and prompted them to send me a code. All I know is that I kept calling and emailing and they finally came thru. As others here have said, there is still hope.

Now I have to decide if I want to risk more aggravation by joining u2.com.

msbarb said:
OMG! I just found my u2.com discount code in my email box. I have been calling and emailing since 12/19 in an effort to get this code. I received the infamous "As requested we referenced our list of current and active members for verification of your status, but, unfortunately were unable to locate any information..." email about a week ago. Of course, I shot off email to all the FanFire/Signatures Network email addresses listed in this thread, expressing my "disappointment." I even told them I didn't care if I got the code at this point because I didn't trust them and wouldn't use it. I was basically letting them know that there are a great number of us having a problem and it warranted some investigation on their part. If someone was a Prop subscriber, the only right thing to do is make sure they have the option of joining the U2.com fanclub.

I'm posting this in the hopes that all of you who are still waiting will get your code. I had no proof to offer that my subscription was still active and I don't know what changed their minds and prompted them to send me a code. All I know is that I kept calling and emailing and they finally came thru. As others here have said, there is still hope.

Now I have to decide if I want to risk more aggravation by joining u2.com.

I received that same e-mail at first too. In my reply, I stated I had been a member since '95 and was owed at least one if not two issues of Propaganda. I then stated that given how "they" (and I wrote this note to every e-mail address posted in this thread) can't even keep track of Propaganda members, I'm hesitant to spend $20-40 for an annual membership.

The next e-mail I received was the code.

Given that I have the discount now, I joined U2.com at the $20 price. I figured at $20, it's worth to see how efficient they are. If they fall apart, then I won't be renewing (especially for $40!) next year.

Well, after 3 emails, and 2 nonsensical responses I also finally received the email with my Propaganda Code.

It's unbelievable.

Last edited:
Inspired by those of you who have gotten a response, I sent another e-mail to FanFire and copied the SBentley address Cecilia suggested U2Fanatic4ever. I e-mailed Cecilia when I got the "we can't find you but think you should still pay at full price even though Prop ripped you off" e-mail but haven't heard back from you yet. I am cutting her slack because I know I'm not the only person e-mailing her and the holidays just ended.

Anyway, here's my latest message to FanFire about this mess...

I wanted to let you know I passed the following along to Cecilia Coffey with Principle Management (U2). My membership did not lapse. I subscribed to the official U2 fan club in late 2001/early 2002 and received only one issue of Propaganda (the final issue) as opposed to the four I was promised with my paid subscription. I do not understand how it is possible for my subscription to have lapsed when it was never properly fulfilled.

I am responding simply to see if this question can somehow be answered. At this point, after waiting to receive my discount code for more than a month, placing several phone calls and sending many e-mails, I'm not even sure if it will be worth it to subscribe to the new U2.com. Can FanFire and U2 guarantee that more problems will not arise if I do subscribe at a full or discounted rate?

In the interest of full disclosure, I wanted to let you know that I am not just a U2 fan but am also contributing editor for U2 fan site Interference.com and have written a story about the various problems Propaganda subscribers have had getting their codes that I thought FanFire might be interested in reading. You can read that story here http://www.interference.com/stories/id107140.html

I look forward to hearing back from someone with FanFire about my concerns.

:dance: I finally got my code today! Keep trying people - it will happen! :)

I had similiar experiences like people here, like Cecilia responding to me to e-mail SBentley@signaturesnet.com. info@numb.ie told me to e-mail http:/u2.com/contact.php. I did both today and I finally got my code!

The e-mail with the code came from: webmaster@u2.com - so I almost think the form e-mail did the trick.

Fingers crossed for the rest who still wait!

wooohooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Victory at last! I got my prop code today too! Persistance pays off folks!!!!!!

Only problem is that I made the reluctant move and purchased the regular membership over the weekend thinking my situation was a lost cause and was getting too anxious about the tickets presale.
I emailed fanfire asking for the 20$ dollar credit since I am now verified as a prop member. Is this the right thing to do? Help!

So has anyone had any trouble actually using the code to get the discount? I put my code in and hit the "Update" button, but it still shows that it's going to charge me $40.

msbarb said:
So has anyone had any trouble actually using the code to get the discount? I put my code in and hit the "Update" button, but it still shows that it's going to charge me $40.

I had absolutely no problem using the code, getting the $20 discount and receiving all of the emails (including the discount code for the u2.com shop).

It took me all of 10 minutes to receive all of the emails including the invoice which said I was charged $20.

You might want to actually copy and paste the code from the email.

Now that doesn't mean I won't be charged $40 on my credit card, which seems to be the next problem people seem to have.

msbarb said:

Yeah, I had trouble with my code at first. It turned out that a character in the code that looked like either the number 1 or the letter L was in fact the letter i. After repeatedly trying 1 and L I finally tried the letter i which was the only other character it remotely looked like. I immediately got the twenty dollar discount. When entering the code keep in mind that capitalization matters. I tried a capital I first. It didn't work but the small i did.

That was the only problem I had signing up. I already got my credit card statement and I was charged only $20.

Last edited:
Well guys, after countless emails and a few calls... I *FINALLY* got my code today too. The email that said to contact SBentley@signaturesnet.com must have been the trick. You'd have thought we were trying to steal Fort #@$@%! Knox

yep monkey... :yes: I think that person at signatures network is the one that got this mess semi straightened out. Because within 2-3 hours of the email I sent to that address I got my prop code via u2.com.

:lol: at Fort #@$@%! Knox

Back
Top Bottom