Some u2 bashing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
paxetaurora said:
On an even more side-y side note, I can't for the life of me understand why Life's Rich Pageant is such an under-loved album. "I Believe," "Superman," "These Days," "Cuyahoga," and "Flowers of Guatemala" ALL ON THE SAME ALBUM and people tend to just shrug at it...I do not get it.

I LOVE Life's Rich Pageant.

I also adore Fables of the Reconstruction, which gets even less love than LRP.

Lancemc said:
..going on at Murmurs.com/talk , an Rem forum. In the music section there's a threat titles U2, How to...well you know the rest. But i tried to defend them the best i can without sounding like u2 elitist to the end asshole, which i am, hehe
:wink: but anyway...chekc it out if you want, it's quite amusing.

My friend, Ethan, owns/runs Murmurs.com ... lol... he likes U2 though.

Matthew_Page2000 said:
The weird thing is that U2 and REM fans seemed to intersect more in the 80's. I knew a lot of people who preferred one band to the other but only a very few who didn't respect both bands.
That's really changed over the last five years or so.
The REM fans seem...I dunno, almost bitter about the continued success of U2 and the (relative) decline of REM's album sales.

Good point, I agree. I do like some of REMS music, theyve definetly created some classics, but not most of it. Never got into it, and I have tried believe me. I dont really agree when people compare the two bands either, very different styles and most people I know refer to it as "geek rock." I don't agree with that terminology, but theyve never been my favorites. I remember seeing on TV when the drummer from the POLICE was making fun of the REM guitarist for never being able to press his finger down and play a hard guitar chord. I have many friends who love rock in these days where rap music gets a lot of the attention, mostly all of them like or love u2 but not one listens to REM. BUT FLOYD DOES RULE!!!

paxetaurora said:
On an even more side-y side note, I can't for the life of me understand why Life's Rich Pageant is such an under-loved album. "I Believe," "Superman," "These Days," "Cuyahoga," and "Flowers of Guatemala" ALL ON THE SAME ALBUM and people tend to just shrug at it...I do not get it.

That's one of my favorite REM albums! :yes:

i haven't listened to new rem for so long, i'm not sure i still consider myself a fan. i stopped listening to them when 'out of time' came out. i don't know exactly what changed, but when the 90s hit, i lost interest.

i looooove all the early stuff, life's rich pageant, fables of the reconstruction... my favourite rem song is time after time, a long-forgotten oldie.

IWasBored said:

i don't like pink floyd. just doesn't appeal to me.

Have you only listened to thier "greatest hits' catalouge? They are so good...Waters is an amazing lyricist and Gilmour's guitarwork---well let's say it's hard for me to pick between him and Edge sometimes. ;) No but hey, if you don't like 'em cool...but I have a feeling you've missed out on a some crucial PF that could sway you!

paxetaurora said:
+ Begin the Begin

that being said
the other tracks on that album sound a bit too much like b-side material to me

Fables of the Reconstruction is 100% art though :wink:

as is every REM album since Green really

The first 4 albums are amazing, and the pick of their '90s stuff is Automatic For The People and New Adventures..brilliant band!

Salome said:
+ Begin the Begin

that being said
the other tracks on that album sound a bit too much like b-side material to me

Fables of the Reconstruction is 100% art though :wink:

as is every REM album since Green really

hey hey, Orange Crush, Losing My Religion, Drive, Man on the Moon, Nightswimming, Sweetness Follows, Monty Got A Raw Deal, The Great Beyond, All the Way to Reno all came out since they moved to Warner Bro's and I think all of those songs are great... and as an album, Automatic for the People is superb

I like bcrt2000's list of great REM work,

and I totally agree with Dr_Macphisto's bottom line...
REM is great, and U2 is better.

They both write some great songs though, two of the only bands who truly know how to create a *song*, imo.

cheerio all!

Dr_Macphisto said:
Rem - great
U2 - better

REM - great
U2 - Better
The Church - BEST!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Sorry. I couldn't help myself!

I find a few people on the murmurs board to be kinda odd, but I'm sure that they would say the same about some of the people on this board.

As an aside (since we're talking about my hometown band):
I used to live in the apartment complex that had the pool that inspired Nightswimming. Everytime I hear that song it makes me think of the people and events during that time of my life. Those were some fun days. :sigh: Edit: there should be a happy sigh face...

Last edited:
I respect REM and their music (used to have Up and Automatic for the people, but I settled for the Best of now), but I enjoy U2's music more. If you like them both, that's ok too.

I don't think it's any competition, as we know both bands like each other's music. Too bad some fans can't get along.

bcrt2000 said:

hey hey .....
I said every album since Green is art because I love those albums

I usually state Out of Time as my second favourite album ever after The Unforgettable Fire

yeah - i really like REM although i must admit i dont know too much of their new stuff. i woudl go and buy the new album and the best of if i wasnt busy saving up for the rumoured 4 different versions of vertigo and numerous different version of HTDAAB that are due out soon!:D
why so many i dont know but i'll buy them all with a smile on my face anyway!

no seriously, saw REM live a few weeks back - they were the not-so-secret headline act at the maketradefair.com charity gig in london. the set was a bit short but very very sweet and i loved every minute of it especially when chris martin walked on in the middle of a song and joined in - coldplay are my second favourite band after U2 and probably one of the few bands left (besides REM now that i've seen them) that i would pay really good money to see!

REM put on a good show though, small and cosy and Stipe is a great performer. they're one of the few great bands, no denying it

beli said:
Well I loike U2, REM, Pink Floyd AND The Church.

What does that make me then, hey, hey, hey? :mad:

Makes you OK in my book!

beli said:
Well I loike U2, REM, Pink Floyd AND The Church.

What does that make me then, hey, hey, hey? :mad:

Indecisive! :angry:

REM are all class.

Underrated, even though they're huge. Which seems to not make sense, but I reckon it's true.

I dont like:

This Week Last Week Mon 27 Sep 2004
1 1 MAROON 5
SHE WILL BE LOVED $4.37
2 2 JOJO
LEAVE (GET OUT) $4.61
3 3 NELLY
MY PLACE / FLAP YOUR WINGS (FORMAT 2) $7.32
4 4 SEETHER
BROKEN (FEATURING AMY LEE) $4.35
5 NEW USHER
CONFESSIONS - PART 2 $4.37
6 5 HIGGINS, MISSY
SCAR EP $7.86
7 7 SIMPSON, ASHLEE
PIECES OF ME $4.61
8 15 DUFF, HILARY & HAYLIE
OUR LIPS ARE SEALED (ENHANCED) $4.37
9 8 GREEN DAY
AMERICAN IDIOT $4.67
10 6 COSIMA
WHEN THE WAR IS OVER / ONE NIGHT WITHOUT YOU (AUSTRALIAN IDOL) $4.52

:|

Holy crap, theres no number 11 this week :yikes:

Look:

12 9 SLINKEE MINX
SUMMER RAIN $4.62
13 16 HOUSTON
I LIKE THAT (FEATURING CHINGY, NATE DATE & I-20) $4.39
14 12 HAYES, DARREN
POP!ULAR (FORMAT 2) - THE REMIXES $4.35
15 14 CLARKSON, KELLY
BREAKAWAY $6.74
16 11 ANASTACIA
SICK & TIRED $4.35
17 13 LAVIGNE, AVRIL
MY HAPPY ENDING
18 17 PAULINI
ANGEL EYES (AUSTRALIAN IDOL) $4.35
19 18 TWISTA
SUNSHINE $4.67
20 20 DEGRAW, GAVIN
I DON'T WANT TO BE $4.37

PS I dont like these songs either.

Well, except for No 11. Thats my favourite. Its an excellent chill out song :|

I had to defend U2 over at murmurs because several of them were aghast that U2 would be inducted into the Hall of Fame. Personal feelings aside, that is just stupid.

bsp77 said:
I had to defend U2 over at murmurs because several of them were aghast that U2 would be inducted into the Hall of Fame. Personal feelings aside, that is just stupid.

If prince is in U2 should be in.

PS My wife is the No. 1 australian prince fan.:scream:

About the same level of obsession I have with U2.:drool:

Back
Top Bottom