Some "shoegaze" advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FitzChivalry

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
At the bottom of the ocean, in the deepest sea
I want to explore "shoegaze" and I need some direction.

I know I love Ride "Going Blank Again", especially "OX11". I know I need to get My Bloody Valentine's "Loveless", which is supposed to be the *definitive* shoegaze album. I know Catherine Wheel was big with shoegaze fans, but I'm not sure which album to check out.

I just bought some "new" shoegaze called Film School, which is not half bad. There is another new band called Sound Team, don't know if anyone's heard of them.

I'm not sure about Spiratualized because I think they may be a bit boring, but maybe someone knows of a good album of theirs. I've also heard Mercury Rev mentioned, but again I've no idea what's good of theirs.

Anyway, any info and direction would be appreciated. Thanks.

you're on the right track with ride, who are probably my favourite shoegaze band. but you MUST, MUST, MUST get mbv's loveless before you spend a dime on anything else.

after that, you may also want to try slowdive, either souvlaki or their greatest hits cd.

serena maneesh is a band out of norway that is currently making shoegazey-type stuff, so check them out as well.

hope that helps! i'm sure that once mofo or melon sees this thread, they'll be able to help you out far more than i have.

FitzChivalry said:
I know Catherine Wheel was big with shoegaze fans, but I'm not sure which album to check out.

Ferment is good.

And I've just had Adam and Eve recommended to me by a huge CW fan, so that's worth checking out too.

lmjhitman said:

hope that helps! i'm sure that once mofo or melon sees this thread, they'll be able to help you out far more than i have.

You made some fantastic recommendations actually.

Fitz, if you like 'Going Blank Again' you need to go out and get 'Nowhere' by Ride as soon as physically possible. 'Nowhere' is probably my present favorite shoegaze album, and it's generally thought of as Ride's masterpiece (I agree). They also have a good EP called Smile which pieces together some early EPs and singles and such and includes one of my favorite Ride songs 'Like a Daydream', it would probably be pretty cheap if you found it. Honestly, if you are really digging 'Going Blank Again', I'm sure you'll love both of those releases (and likely go bonkers for 'Nowhere').

LMJ was dead on with 'Loveless', it's considered by many to be THE shoegaze album. Very cool and unique record, pretty unique even in its own genre. MBV's 'Isn't Anything' is a good album to get after 'Loveless' if you like it. They also have some good EPs from the 'Loveless' era that Melon and I both like.

As LMJ also previously stated, Souvlaki by Slowdive is an amazing and highly recommended album. Brian Eno (I just can't get ENOugh :wink: ) actually helped out on a couple songs as he had wanted to produce the album but couldn't fit it in schedule wise. They recently re-released all their albums, so you may be able to find a mastered version with a few goodies on it. If not, the basic version is usually pretty cheap as it's a bit old now.

Though a number of these bands are not straight up shoegaze, I'd also recommend them if you end up enjoying the Ride, Slowdive, and MBV albums: The Jesus and Mary Chain, Longwave, Autolux, Galaxie 500, Engineers, Cocteau Twins, The Radio Dept., M83, Ulrich Schnauss, etc.

Let us know what you decide to check into and what you think! :up:

"Ferment" by Catherine Wheel is the best choice for their shoegazer sound. Subsequent albums went in the direction of more direct, hard rock.

check out Slint, pretty much like Ride but darker

"Spiderland" is a master piece

u2popmofo said:
Fitz, if you like 'Going Blank Again' you need to go out and get 'Nowhere' by Ride as soon as physically possible. 'Nowhere' is probably my present favorite shoegaze album, and it's generally thought of as Ride's masterpiece (I agree).

I would go with 'Nowhere' before anything else. It is not only my present favorite "shoegaze" album...it is one of my top five all-time favorite albums (any genre).

zoney! said:

I would go with 'Nowhere' before anything else. It is not only my present favorite "shoegaze" album...it is one of my top five all-time favorite albums (any genre).

We are friends.

"Dreams Burn Down" by Ride is an all time classic.
As far as the whole "shoegaze" thing goes I don't really have my own definition of the term but here's some suggestions of what I think may be "shoegaze" related stuff...
Comforting Sounds - Mew
Blue Line Swinger - Yo La Tengo
Your Favorite Dylan Song - The Gunshy
and some bands...
The Chameleons (old 1980's band - try the album Script From The Bridge - this would be the beginnings of what I see as "shoegaze"- plus it's one heck of an album)
My Education - from Texas - instrumental band
Ride - we've already covered them
Migala - I think they are from Portugal but sing in english as well
Have lost my train of thought - sorry.
Do check out The Chameleons though!!!

(warning - gushing)

just popped in to check someone had put the word in for My Bloody Valentine :wink: in short get Loveless as quick as you can - if the nearest record shop is open when you read this log off and go and buy it now as it is an absolute must! Start to finish one of the best albums i've ever heard bookended by two of their best tracks! Then after that get 'Isn't Anything'. I agree with a review I read of it saying people see it just as some sort of pre-cursor to Loveless and not AS great but it's definitely right up there with it. Kind of different but still an excellent listen.

I'd go on another paragraph about the Glider and Tremolo EPs and of course You Made me Realise and Feed me With Your Kiss but I think I've plugged this band enough. :wink:

OH - and the Vancouver '92 bootleg (a soundboard recording - quite a novelty for MBV bootleggers :)) and the Peel Sessions are incredible, especially the latter, the four Peel tracks sound better than the originals for christ's sake!
BYE

Last edited:
Thank you all so much for your help and advice. They didn't have My Bloody Valentine at the record shop I went to, but they did have a "Best Of' Ride, so I got that.

Actually, I had , as in past tense, "Going Blank Again" on cassette back in college. But in the past 10 years, I've moved so many times and I never looked after my tapes nearly as much as my cds, so I've no idea where it ended up. But the Best of Ride does have "Leave Them All Behind", which now I remember is the song I really loved, followed closely by "OX4" (thanks for correcting me popmofo). :wink:

I WILL get "Loveless" as soon as humanly possible and, if it's as good as everyone says, I'm sure I'll love it.

Thanks again for all the info. Rock on!

Back
Top Bottom