Slightly embarassing question about High-School "Boyfriend/Girlfriend"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chizip said:

havent had a boyfriend in 2 months? thats like forever ever. hang in there :hug:

Pfft try not having a boyfriend for nearly two years and about to be a senior in high school! :lol:

Yeah, I've only had one boyfriend my whole life, and that was in my sophomore year. Dating is really different for every person. For me, I've been raised in a Christian home so I have better morals than about 98% of my entire school. I don't smoke, drink, swear, sleep around, or do anything else of the sort. So for me, the physical aspects of dating aren't anything that my parents would disown me for. If your sister is getting good grades and as involved in extra curriculurs as you say she is, she'll probably do the same thing I did. Usually, kids with that mindset keep it. I don't think she's going to get knocked up and have her grades go into a downward spiral with one boyfriend. Sure, it's probably a good idea to make sure she's not with him unsupervised for long periods of time, if you don't know the guy, but also, don't make her feel like you've got her tied to a leash.

If she's as responsible as you say she is, I'm sure she picked a great guy and not some stoner who just wants to sleep with her. Give her the benefit of the doubt, but be sure to give her some moral boundaries to go with.

I hope that made sense. :D

Glad your sister had a good time on her date. From my own experience, based on your description of her being smart, happy and really active in school, I think she'll keep a level head about boys and everything that comes along with them.

I saw my sister on Monday for my Dad's birthday and I emphasized that she better do well on her finals (which are next week).

She was also really excited and proud of herself that she made the drumline this year. So she'll be sweatin' it out all summer learning how to march and play the bass drum at the same time. But she seemed really happy about it and I'm happy for her.

Plus, she brought up her science grade enough that her teacher is going to recommend her for the Biology class next year. That made me really happy, since even though I didn't like science in general, Biology was one of my favorite classes in high school. (Lab Practical :drool: )

Anyway, like most everyone has been saying, I know her and I think she's a fantastic kid with a good head on her shoulders and I think she'll make the right decisions.

I can't wait to see her in drumline this fall! :D

Lila64 said:
Fitz - pass me those cliff notes, will ya?!?!? :wink:

I have no idea how to have the "sex talk" with my daughter :reject: Don't think I had one from my mom. I know she's learning about the body in school right now, and I think the 7th graders are learning stuff about it now. I know it makes her a little uncomfortable to talk about it :sigh:

And Chizip - :hi5:

see my parents let the school teach me every thing...DO NOT DO THIS!!!!! omg i would have loved my mom telling me about the clit and the uterus instead of my teachers(one of which was a man)...:laugh: oh well i seem to be a well rounded person lolZ

FitzChivalry said:
I saw my sister on Monday for my Dad's birthday and I emphasized that she better do well on her finals (which are next week).

She was also really excited and proud of herself that she made the drumline this year. So she'll be sweatin' it out all summer learning how to march and play the bass drum at the same time. But she seemed really happy about it and I'm happy for her.

Plus, she brought up her science grade enough that her teacher is going to recommend her for the Biology class next year. That made me really happy, since even though I didn't like science in general, Biology was one of my favorite classes in high school. (Lab Practical :drool: )

Anyway, like most everyone has been saying, I know her and I think she's a fantastic kid with a good head on her shoulders and I think she'll make the right decisions.

I can't wait to see her in drumline this fall! :D

Awww marching band, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways...:love:

But yeah, that's good to hear! I'm sure she'll make the best choices. :D

I think it completely depends on the person. I just graduated high school and I am not ashamed to say that I haven't ever had a serious boyfriend and I've never had sex. This may sound self absorbed but I'm just much more mature and stuff than the boys at my school were. :shrug: I mean of course I've fooled around with guys and stuff but there hasn't been one that's done anything for me or made me really want to be in a relationship with him, and I personally don't want to have sex just with a random guy I'm hooking up with (we'll see what college does to me though :wink: jk). It sounds so cliche and like something your dad would say, but I have really found that except for a select few who truly are great guys, most of them (from my experience) really are only after sex. :lol:

As for what freshmen are doing, I know some who are having sex and some who are just having their first kisses. Again, completely depends on the person. But your sister sounds like a great girl who has a good head on her shoulders, so I'm sure she knows what she's doing.

I'm 15 and most of the people I know who have boyfriends aren't doing anything they shouldn't be. Of course they are people who have, but I would say that they are the minority even though it doesn't always seem that way. I have never had 'the talk' as such from my parents or older brothers, I found out in school and well from other people my age. I think that its down to your little sister and as long as she takes things slow I think there is nothing to worry about. I have never smoked, drank etc just because others my age are doing so.. I'm not the most confident person but at the same time I've never been influenced by what people say or have done. She sounds like she's level headed and really I think that when the time comes she'll do what is best for her, so I wouldn't worry :)

Phew! Well, I chatted with her online about it.

I told her that she should ALWAYS use protection EACH and EVERY time. I also told her that even though kids her age are "physically" ready, there is an emotional aspect that goes with it and that they need to be mature enough to handle that as well.

She said he was just joking about it and that they're just hanging out tomorrow. She said he walks her to class and hugs her at school, but that she has no intention of sleeping with him right now. She said that's something that's a "if and when it happens in the FUTURE!!!!" (a direct quote)

I guess in joking about it, they're just being normal kids. Hell, us as adults talk and joke about sex ad naseum, and (most of us) have the opportunity to engage in it at will. So for kids, where it's new and exciting and the great unknown, and taboo to boot, well . . . it's just that much more of a fascinating topic.

Again, I think she's learned all she's going to from my parents (and a bit from myself) about right, wrong and responsiblity. It's out of our hands and in hers now. I can only hope that she makes the right choices and has a bit of luck at her back.

:)

Oh, yeah. I also told her that I'm ALWAYS there for her and if she ever has any questions about sex or protection, that she shouldn't hestitate to ask me. And that if she's too embarassed to do it in person, for her to feel free to e-mail or MySpace me about it.

I'm trying to do all I can here people! :yikes:

Just a word of caution Ethan..."we were just joking around" is sometimes teen-speak for "oh shit, someone saw what I wrote/heard what I said so I'll just say I was kidding and he'll leave me alone and stop asking questions"

I've learned a LOT since my kids all became adults and starting telling me the truth about what really went on in their teenage years :crack:

Back
Top Bottom