Shuttlecock XXII: Summer of Laz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Acrobat sounds so fucking good too. Hard to believe it wasn't played once in nearly 30 years and yet it sounds this fucking good. With the band all playing in each other's pockets.

im scared that Cobbler is praising U2 all the sudden.

I will always praise them when they do good.

The second Denmark show just proves how little fucking effort they have to put in to be truly, truly great.

It is then all the more infuriating when you get All Because of You and Iris, when they prove on the odd occasion how much better they can be.

Thoughts on the three songs…

Stay - Thought it sounded absolutely lovely. Really, really nice singing by Bono. And just a great reminder of how fucking great of a song it is. When Larry and Adam come in it's lovely too. You're off the mark here Laz. And the singalong towards the end. Just fucking lovely, every second of it. I love that off-beat ending.

It's. Too. Fucking. Slow.

It would also have been nice if he didn't NEED the crowd to sing that outro for him.

Go watch the Sydney Zoo clip stat if you think that tempo is within acceptable limits.

All three songs sounded fine. The drums on The Unforgettable Fire in particular sounded better than on 360 (never understood why Mullen decided to play the beat on the toms in 2009-10).

Stay still has traces of the acoustic arrangement, but at least Edge is playing the main riff in certain moments. That alone makes it better than any version since 1993.

Wild Horses is an improvement over the Tulsa version, and I like what they're doing with the ending (akin to that Apollo show). In any case, this trio and Acrobat make it worthwhile to go and see this show. Now I just have to find tickets.

Wild Horses is an improvement over the Tulsa version, and I like what they're doing with the ending (akin to that Apollo show). In any case, this trio and Acrobat make it worthwhile to go and see this show. Now I just have to find tickets.

Can't wait for you to get tickets to Amsterdam 2 and they play Iris/Song for Someone/Magnificent.

New Year's Day, furthermore, is replaced with Window in the Skies.

Can't wait for you to get tickets to Amsterdam 2 and they play Iris/Song for Someone/Magnificent.

New Year's Day, furthermore, is replaced with Window in the Skies.

Haha. As long as Acrobat is there, I won't complain (too much).

Milan 2 is the plan now.

I probably let it bother me more than it should, but you could see certain limitations in Bono's 2018 voice in UF and Stay. In UF, they essentially played the 360 arrangement, which is to say after(or even midway through) the second chorus, he just starts sing 'stay' over and over(with the exception of the 'and if the mountains should crumble' middle 8). It seems to obviously be because he can't sing it the proper way anymore.

In Stay, in the second chorus, he didn't even try to hit the last high STAAAAAAAAAAY(the crowd did it for him). (As an aside, I've never understood why spirit/demon seem to be reversed in every live performance ever from the order they were in on the studio recording).

I don't know. It's not his fault. It happens. I don't mean to come off overly critical. It's great that they're playing those songs, they just don't compare to Bono's vocal prime(i.e. UF in 1987 or Stay in 1993).

Yeah, why is anyone assuming they're going to play another show like that?

In Stay, in the second chorus, he didn't even try to hit the last high STAAAAAAAAAAY(the crowd did it for him).

Yes, and he doesn't even start the "oh oh oh oh oh oh" singalong on his own, he has the crowd do it right from the beginning.

I understand it's a lot to ask, but I'm just not sure why people are so blown away by this version.

And again. TOO SLOW.

I just watched the clips of the 3 songs and I have nothing new to add, other than I forgot how utterly ridiculous Larry looks with those glasses on.

DependentSatisfiedAsianelephant-size_restricted.gif

I woke up at the moment when the festivus miracle occurred

I just listened to The Best Of 1980-1990 for the first time in ages. It was my real introduction to U2. I was 14 when it came out. I think it’s really close to a perfect collections of songs.

I think the only changes I would make are adding Gloria and Out Of Control, having October as a standard track, removing The Sweetest Thing (if they wanted to redo a song it should have been 11 O Clock Tick Tock with original vocals) and When Love Comes To Town, and using the original album versions of Bad, Where The Streets Have No Name, and New Year’s Day.

It really takes me back. I love that decade of U2 so much. One of the best decades of any band ever.

Last edited:
Love that they do Zoo Station in Hamburg rather than, you know, Berlin. Can't wait for New York in Chicago.

Swap When Love Comes to Town with Gloria. If some studio tracks like Electric Co and 40 were as strong as their live counterparts I might change it a bit more.

I can't wait for this set if they ever return.

The Blackout
Lights of Home
I Will Follow
All Because of You
Beautiful Day
Iris
Cedarwood Road
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Raised By Wolves
The Miracle (because we missed SOI)
~IALW intermission~
Elevation
Vertigo
Desire
Still Haven't Found (because we missed JT)
Best Thing
Ordinary Love
Pride
Get Out
American Soul
City of Blinding Lights

One
Love is Bigger
Song for Someone (because we missed SOI)

Add Stuck in a Moment with long Bono intro where you grasp onto a 0.1% chance that they'll play Gone instead

And North Star

I remember I shit myself at one of the 360 gigs because the start of Hold Me Thrill Me sounded like the Gone siren for half a second. How disappointing that was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom