Shuttlecock XV: Seppos and the 42: Cobbler's Epic Fail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So... I'm very glad that wasn't the only show I saw, as I would've been super disappointed.

But. I'm selfish. And it wasn't. So I was super happy because I was on the rail of the main stage and couldn't see shit while the whole band was on the b stage. But that only happened for four songs in total tonight and one of them was

the new song, which I was hearing for the first time, so I was more than happy to cup my ears, close my eyes and listen along and really try to take it in
The song is AWESOME.

And, hey, we kinda got Bono to do Shine Like Stars with the little signs we were holding. I'll take it.

They sounded so so so good tonight.

Pretty cowardly to drop a song from the setlist
especially that one
and not replace it with anything. Once again, they could probably do
Vertigo in their sleep at this point.

Shameful.

I had this vision of
NSW only having a ticket for this show and getting Peefed more than Peef himself has ever been Peefed. It's horrifying to even imagine.

There is no way that song is still in the setlist by the time they play Philly, unless I am unable to buy a ticket in which case it will come back.

I will cry if they don't play the song Laz is talking about on Friday. Maybe not, but I will be EXTREMELY sad.

Some of the posters on this website are fucking unhinged. Blaming Adam for what happened during WOWY (fuck off we know it's the JT Tour this is not a spoiler) in Santa Clara is insane.

Not only did Bono fuck it totally within 20 seconds, he then led the crowd down the wrong path on the restart.

I too, quite enjoy the new song. I'm also often critical of their song titles of late but I think where my life is right now it really speaks to me

Oh and also (barely a spoiler given its the fucking JT Tour but nonetheless:

Reckon he only wears the hat for Exit to play a character and disassociate from what freaks him out about performing it?

My partner's eyes kind of glass over when I go on a tangent, but even she said that by the time it hits New Zealand it had better be the Zoo TV Tour and not the All That You Cunt Leave Behind Tour.

Tonight's performances were better than last night's, I thought. They seemed to be having fun up there. Bono seemed pleased with RHMT as well.

I think I figured out the problem with Ultraviolet. It sounds desperate on the album, and it doesn't on this tour.

I had a blast these two days. I got to see Cobbler tonight after the show. Always a highlight. :)

Totally agree. From the moment they hit the stage, there was way more energy from both the band and the audience than Sat night.

My perspective on Ultraviolet: I had an awesome seat last night but Saturday night I got a last minute ticket right before show and it wasn't until after the transaction was complete that it said "obstructed view" (fuck you TM) though on the map it was obvious it was a side view, but pretty close to the stage so whatever.

I could not see the screen at all. I mean I could see enough to get the gist of it but I had to let it go and focus on the music. That I still was blown away really says something about this tour.

Ok, so when you guys were saying Ultraviolet was missing something Sat night I was thinking wtf are they talking about, I was practically in tears because I was so happy to hear it and my section was singing their hearts out.

So last night I actually SAW the show, and I was completely focused on the screen during that song. They could have been playing anything, like it was background music.

cobl, sorry you were so bummed about ASOH. I was, too, because it's one of my all-time favorites and I'd talked it up to my friend who was with me, but I have to admit I felt the show flowed better into JT without it. I generally care less about flow than perhaps others do but in trying to understand why they'd drop it, maybe that had something to do with it? I dunno.

First time hearing the new song. I liked it I think? But as a closer, well, it should have been IWF.

Seriously bummed not to have met cobl this trip. Very happy to see the fabulous martha again!

My friend had seen U2 once before. I dragged him to opening night in San Diego on the Vertigo tour, the worst U2 show I've ever seen. Based on that one show, he could not understand my U2 obsession. Now he gets it. He was in tears last night.

Driving back to my beloved NM now. :wave:

Last edited:
I'm wondering if it would ever be logistically possible to one day have a Cockforce meet-up somewhere, perhaps for a concert that's located in a place that's relatively accessible for the majority of people.

Maybe if U2 plays Hawaii again, though that's not exactly accessible. ?

I had a blast hanging out with joyful and her friends. I did end up wearing quite a bit of that delicious lemonade.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Did not take long for that watermelon lemonade to end up under my feet either.

We did an Interference meetup in Vegas once, maybe in '00 or 01? It was huge. And a bunch of fun.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

LV 2009 is the one I went to. That was so fun. Except for the part where my car died after HeartlandGirl and I stopped at your place in Searchlight and I had to get towed to Flagstaff and managed to get like the last room on Homecoming weekend and then my car magically started the next morning like nothing had ever happened.

For those that listen to to the concert last night or were in attendance, did you feel that the encore flowed better?

Honestly, I was so caught up in the show the first night, I didn't have any opinion in the slightest about flow either night.

MS is best to open the first encore if they have to play it.

BD works well to open the second encore due to the slow new intro that isn't immediately obvious.

Just gotta move some songs around so it's not 2/5.

Slowly going back and reading people's reactions, but Mike's final thoughts just got me so choked up.
In comparison to him, I always kinda bow out to how much I love that song, but the thing is, there is little other music in life more important to me than TUF, and that song is just....it's such a treasure. But...the fact of the matter is, like it or not, I was spoiled on it being in the setlist, and I was a bit heart broken about that, because when it started, there was no shock, there was no, "Dear God, it's happening." There was just, "And here it is."

That's not to say that I didn't spend the rest of the song in some weird bliss, because I did, but I was happy to read Mike's reaction, because the dude "deserved" to hear that song live, and I'm so happy to see something so purely joyful happen to any person.

Axver, if you see this:

Because I have entirely too much time on my hands, and because we're all in a Joshua Tree mood, I was browsing U2 gigs and noticed some setlist comments that should probably be updated because they are no longer true. Just trying to help a fellow obsessive-compulsive setlist geek out. :)

11/16/2001
"This is the last time A Sort Of Homecoming has been performed."

07//15/2005
"Last performance of Running To Stand Still."

11/28/1987
"U2 are known to have soundchecked Red Hill Mining Town multiple times in late 1987, as they considered performing it to be filmed for Rattle And Hum in late December. This plan never came to fruition and the song is yet to be performed live. This show is the only precise date on which it is currently confirmed that Red Hill Mining Town was soundchecked."

10/09/1989
"This is the last full electric performance of In God's Country; the three Elevation Tour versions are acoustic while the Innocence + Experience Tour version had an electric guitar but was still a stripped down (and improvised) version."

12/20/1987
"This show also featured the last performance of Trip Through Your Wires ever"

10/14/1989
"Exit is performed for the only time since the end of the Joshua Tree Tour on 20 December 1987."

Love reading some of the reviews here from the veterans, Bono212, Laz, COBL - great stuff [emoji106]

Sounds like an absolutely essential experience for a U2 fan (more so than the past two tours). I hope that there is a leg announced for September-November somewhere around the globe. I'd happily dash across the Pacific for somewhere like Santiago.

Copying this post from The Other Place, just because. I'm starting to wonder if my perception of things at both the first two shows was just weird. I don't think I typically misjudge the band's vibe/crowd's vibe at shows I've seen, but maybe I'm getting old.

xx

After seeing the first two shows, any wonkiness and perceived "low energy" in Vancouver was easily brushed off by assuming first night jitters.

Even as much as I had a complete blast at the Seattle show, it still felt to me like there was something a little funky about the performance, like they weren't 100% comfortable.

But now seeing the reviews coming in, either they have settled into the groove a bit more, or I was just way off in my perception. Thrilled about it, either way.

Just powered through the last ten pages between meetings.

So great to read your reviews and the unabashed enthusiasm flowing forth. Peppered with whatever disappointed all of you, so, a reminder that nothing is ever perfect.

I was at both Rose Bowl shows. I already babbled enough about Vancouver but here are some stray thoughts:

1 - I remembered why I have not gone to the Rose Bowl in over a decade. That was just a fucking nightmare, both getting in or getting out of the parking lot. Getting into the Stadium night one was fucked, too, but it was a lot better last night, found a better gate and my buddy met me just as the Lumineers ended, so the timing was perfect. No offense to Lumineers fans.

2 - It had been four years since I last saw HeartlandGirl at Spring Training in Arizona so getting to see the show with her and spend the bulk of the day with her was awesome. She enjoyed the show on Saturday and cried at three different points, I believe.

3 - Along the same lines, it was fantastic to see RMT regulars like Ashley and Martha, not to mention other interlanders that I've hung out with before here in LA. I watched the show with a coworker who is a big music fan and that was cool and all, but getting to spend some time before and after the show with a bunch of superfans I've known for ages was special. Joyful, I was not sure if you were attending or not, wish I had reached out and asked, would have been nice to see you. COBL I cannot really be held accountable for my actions sometimes so if I saw you in that fucking hat, it's difficult to predict the damage I'd have inflicted on you so maybe it's best I did not see you. Laz, I think you'll agree that seeing each other once is more than enough. Great photo of you two, though!

4 - Exit

5 -
Dropping ASOH for Show 2 was a bummer but I felt it coming. I hope it's not permanent. But if it is, I mean, fuck, I heard it in Vancouver and in Pasadena once and that's two more times than I truly ever thought I would hear it. But I'd be bummed for others that they don't get to hear it. That song is sublime. Oh, and, Laz, I legit thought the same thing - that if this was my only show and after the fact I emerged from my spoiler-free zone and learned that ASOH was played but dropped? That's getting Peefed to the Peef Power, multiplied by Peef. Christ. And thanks, Ashley. I am not sure I deserved it but I sure as fuck waited a long time for it. : )

6 - I just cannot get over hearing Running to Stand Still - Mothers of the Disappeared. That's just such an amazing stretch of music.

7 - The screen going red induces chills. Such an iconic thing.

That's all. That may or may not have been my last show of the tour. I'm heading to Europe at the same time as 2-3 shows are taking place in Paris and Amsterdam, so, I am thinking of adjusting my itinerary to attend one. We'll see.

Again, for all of those that have attended and posted their thoughts here, thank you - I for one really appreciate it. I hope that for those of you attending shows later on in the tour that you have an amazing experience.

I forgot to mention:

Bad is fuckmazing.

Last edited:
review of last night

Last night was better than night 1, performance-wise. Bono was certainly much more loquacious than he was last night. The band had more energy, for sure. I snagged a great spot about 10 or so metres back from the b-stage. It’s probably the closest I have been to U2 in the six shows I’ve seen. I kind of love SBS as an opener, it rules. Aside from the fact that every single fucking cunt took out their phone the second Larry walked down and I couldn’t see shit. I really don’t get this. I only took one pic night 1 and took a few more last night but I found it hard to do so, I really just don’t get the whole filming thing. Anyway. Pride was better last night. Nearly everything was better last night.

When Streets started I didn’t cry last night. It was nice. I spoke with Ashley afterwards and we were clearly both in the same place - night 1 was all the emotional investment and last night it was just about enjoying it. So I didn’t cry, I was just fucking smiling really broadly. I don’t know if the band did the whole standing together thing during the intro last night, we were too far back, but it was really lovely, and getting a great vantage point where you could see the band clearly. It was really lovely.

Still Haven’t Found I thought was pretty sensational last night. There was less adlibby, Bono-losing-his-way moments, and just a really solid performance of a warhorse. Best I’ve ever seen ISHFWILF, for sure. WOWY was better than night 1 but would still benefit from Bono re-finding his passion for it. Kinda like what Martha said about Ultraviolet, his vocals in the studio version and early live versions just bring you along… and it’s just not like that these days. But was definitely great. The whole shine like stars thing shouldn’t count in my view, he literally spoke the two lines and didn’t repeat them, it was a concession to Ashley and everyone holding signs… but then, I’ve never really thought that Shine Like Stars was all that great anyway to be perfectly honest.

Bullet ruled again. Maybe 1% not quite as savage as last night but who cares. RTSS I cried again. Only the one cry last night. U2 are the best band ever.

Red Hill, again was great. I mean I’d one million times prefer the guitar over the piano, and the album version destroys it, but Bono does such a great job belting out the choruses, so it’s fine. Super lovely.

In God’s Country is not quite as fast it could be I feel, but it still rules. Solo rules. Trip I felt was not quite as good last night as it was night 1, but I will genuinely punch Axver in the dick if he doesn’t enjoy it. It’s so much fucking fun, and legitimately a genuine highlight. One Tree Hill was fucking great, up until Bono’s stupidarse ad-libs ruined things again, but overall it was better than night 1, for sure.

Exit didn’t seem to quite have as much punch as night 1, I reckon one of the sound elements dropped out after the first crescendo, cos it wasn’t quite as wild as last night was. The song still ruled but it just didn’t hit quite as hard, in my opinion. Still motherfucking ruled from that point onwards. That guitar is phenomenal and they just rule.

Mothers is great, and a lot better live than the studio version. The only weird thing I have with it is that the woman on the screen furthest right, she’s wearing glasses, so when she holds her candle etc it reflect on her glasses, and makes her look the like the devil hahaha.

I thought the way they restructured the encore was really good. It worked a lot better and smoother than night 1. Miss Sarajevo REALLY struggles not having Bono sing the Pavarotti part, it really fucking sucks if you ask me. The live version is actually so faithful to the original, I didn’t realise last night that it’s all guitar. But any rate, it was better than night 1, but it really, really fucking sucks not having Bono sing the opera part. As I said yesterday there’s 50 songs I’d rather hear if he’s not gonna sing that live part; I love Miss Sarajevo and I love hearing it as is, but it’s just not the same.

Bad was INCREDIBLE, and even better than it was night 1. It was a minute or two longer as well. The highlight of the show, really. Again, even though I was completely sober, I still ended up jumping around and splaying water around like it was nothing. The two performances of Bad I’ve seen the last two nights make me think that there’s no need to bring up more. It’s just so fucking lovely. The pinnacle of live performance for sure, it transports you somewhere else.

Last night when they played Ultraviolet I focusing entirely on Bono on the b-stage and it was a lot more powerful. He is really getting into it, and those lyrics are so powerful. He really loves that ‘I remember’ verse, really leans into it. But people are right, the visuals swallow up the song. Huge cheers for Hillary and Michelle, and then they put Lena fucking Dunham in there. Ugh. So just focusing on Bono made it really special for me, even though I agree with others that it’s missing something and agree with Martha that it’s the desperation.

One was absolutely tremendous, this is an incredible song, and the best performance of it I have seen. Bono doesn’t labour the social-conscious point, it’s not a two-minute long set up/intro, it’s played on its own rather than as part of a segue, which helps remind you of its power. I was also in a much better spot last night, and got a great pic of Bono and Adam looking at each other as the buffalos were on the screen behind them. And then to hear Do You Hear Us Coming, after I’ve waited 11 years to hear it, was just incredible. The greatest ad-lib in herstory. This is such an amazing song and I think I love it now more than I ever have. Wow. :heart:

The new song is fucking great. Bono said the delay was Edge’s fault… I thought he meant in getting the song ready, but Ashley reckons he was talking about the album. At any rate, I loved it and hope it sees the light of day soon. The crowd enjoyed it, a lot of people filming and a lot of cheers when Edge started shredding.

It was heartbreaking that they finished 10 minutes before curfew, and devastating that I didn’t get ASOH, but all in all, it was a tremendous show and I was very happy to have seen it.

Also for all the talk of avoiding spoilers... I always think of that in terms of setlist only. I always forget about the staging. I am SO SO happy that I didn't look at any videos or pictures before the gig, I was blown away once Streets started.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom