Shuttlecock! Part VIII - If God Will Serve His Shuttles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see the Pale Hose sweeping us, but then again, that's insane to say in February. Anything could happen.

Phanan, thoughts on the album as of today?

Yeah, I doubt it. In fact, I better hope it isn't the other way around.

My thoughts on No Net are pretty much the same as a few days ago. Very good album, the best since Popycock or whatever we call that one now. I listed my song order the other day, probably earlier in this thread. I'm quite satisified with it. The only songs that don't do it for me are Unknown Raquet, Crazy Cock, and Stand Up.

Yeah, I doubt it. In fact, I better hope it isn't the other way around.

My thoughts on No Net are pretty much the same as a few days ago. Very good album, the best since Popycock or whatever we call that one now. I listed my song order the other day, probably earlier in this thread. I'm quite satisified with it. The only songs that don't do it for me are Unknown Raquet, Crazy Cock, and Stand Up.

Cool, thanks.

Here it is - the only thing I'd change is moving Cock - Being Engorged up one spot. Otherwise, it's the same.

I guess if I had to do a preliminary ranking, it would go something like this:

Moment of Service
Courts of Lebanon
No Net on the Horizon
Birdie
Magnificock
White as Talcum
Cock - Being Engorged
Get On Your Cocks

Unknown Racquet
I'll Go Crazy if I Don't Go Cock Crazy Tonight
Stand Up Referee

The last three are my least favorites and fall below the other tracks. 1-8 I consider to be more or less on the same level.

I still can't properly or with any "integrity" articulate my thoughts on this album, but I reckon I can at least have a go at a couple-days-in ranking of songs. Way too early for this to mean much, but whatever. The only one which I really, truly, old school-style love is the title track.

"No Line on the Horizon"
"Fez--Being Born"
"Magnificent"
"Crazy Tonight" (A] Yes, I'm serious; and B]I'm not calling this song by its given, retarded name)
Everything else

I'll say that the lyrics in "Cedars of Lebanon" are, as is usually the case, pretty humblingly bad, at a few points, but generally great. I also enjoy most of the stuff in "No Line on the Horizon."

I spent several hours last night doing the following:

1. Being agog at how many U2 video bootlegs I had
2. Being agog at how much time I spent downloading all these bootlegs, most of which I obtained since 2004.
3. Putting them all in order.
4. Watching a 1981 concert that was a lot of fun.
5. Realizing that when it comes to something I'm obsessed passionate about, I veer into complete obsessive-compulsive territory and must HAVE IT ALL.

I did weed out a few DVD bootlegs of which I somehow had duplicates. (See, organizing is a great thing.) I would like to share my meager leftover wealth of my obsession. Does anyone what one of these?

Sao Paolo Jan 31, 1998 (it was an MTV broadcast, quality is ok, looks like it had been copied on 5 different VHS tapes before making its way to digital format) already spoken for

London July 21, 2001 (audience-shot, quality is ok, this is in PAL format)

Honolulu December 9, 2006 (audience-shot, decent quality for audience-shot, two discs)

New York November 11, 2005 (audience-shot, decent quality for audience-shot, two discs)

I'm willing to send these to whoever wants them for free. First come, first serve, would prefer to keep them to US so shipping isn't as much (sorry non-USians), PM me if you're interested.

:)

I still can't properly or with any "integrity" articulate my thoughts on this album, but I reckon I can at least have a go at a couple-days-in ranking of songs. Way too early for this to mean much, but whatever. The only one which I really, truly, old school-style love is the title track.

"No Line on the Horizon"
"Fez--Being Born"
"Magnificent"
"Crazy Tonight" (A] Yes, I'm serious; and B]I'm not calling this song by its given, retarded name)
Everything else

I'll say that the lyrics in "Cedars of Lebanon" are, as is usually the case, pretty humblingly bad, at a few points, but generally great. I also enjoy most of the stuff in "No Line on the Horizon."

So you hate it a little less than before. That's progress. :)

picturel.jpg

Boner, getting back to his roots.

i think i saw this guy the last time i went to the DC Eagle.

Man, "No Line" sounds like if "Until the End of the World" and "Ultra Violet" had a sexy baby together that decided to gang-rape its own parents. Fantastic stuff.

I need a few more listens before I can say anything for sure.

I think a combined effort of NLOTH1 and NLOTH2 would be unbelievably awesome.

I need a few more listens before I can say anything for sure.

I think a combined effort of NLOTH1 and NLOTH2 would be unbelievably awesome.

A shame that more people can't see the great elements in both versions.

But I do suspect the live version will have to be some kind of hybrid.

I've been listening to this play order today: (too soon? That's what she said.)

1. No Line On the Horizon (cock)
2. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (cock)
3. Get On Your Boots (cock)
4. Stand Up Comedy (cock)
5. Breathe (cock)
6. Unknown Caller (cock)
7. Fez - Being Born (cock)
8. Magnificent (cock)
9. Moment of Surrender (cock)
10. White as Snow (cock)
11. Cedars of Lebanon (cock)

I like it.

I just listened to the entire album in the dark. Very interesting. The more subtle details really come out when you focus in on them. A few points of note:

1. The 256 transcode rip is very limited. If you crank it up too loudly, Hedge's guitar becomes painful to the ear, and this ruined Unknown Racquet for me. That one in particular sounds extremely compressed. People have complained about the title track, but I really think that one is supposed to sound overloaded. I can't wait to hear the album in proper CD quality.

2. Cock Crazy Tonight is hindered more by its music than its lyrics. I've found a handful of lines that I actually like. The music on the other hand...too predictably Shuttlecock, too adult contemporary. It comes together pretty well, and it is a solid song, but with some musical creativity, especially from Hedge, who really mails this one in, it could have been fantastic. Oh, and the "baby, baby, baby" part is not that bad at all. Shuttlecock have taken advantage of mind-numbingly simplistic interjections since their earliest beginnings and used them to their advantage. "Baby, baby, baby" in particular has been used before, and really came across no better or worse in the past. Ultraracquet has always been ridiculous, but it works because it's well written, arranged, and properly sequenced within the album. Cock Crazy Tonight is no different.

3. Breathe is the best song the band has written this decade. I don't give a fuck if that sounds hyperbolic. NNOTH has lost its newness factor for me, and this one still sounds amazing. Boner hasn't sounded this passionate about his lyrics in a long time, and simply dominates the track. Hedge's solo is killer. The cello is perfectly placed. "I've found grace inside a sound/I've found grace/It's all I've found" may be stereotypical Boner, but, to me, it's every bit as powerful as "What you don't have/You don't need it now/What you don't know/You can feel it somehow" was to me when I first became a fan. I can't wait to hear what they do with this motherfucker live.

2. Cock Crazy Tonight is hindered more by its music than its lyrics. I've found a handful of lines that I actually like. The music on the other hand...too predictably Shuttlecock, too adult contemporary. It comes together pretty well, and it is a solid song, but with some musical creativity, especially from Hedge, who really mails this one in, it could have been fantastic. Oh, and the "baby, baby, baby" part is not that bad at all. Shuttlecock have taken advantage of mind-numbingly simplistic interjections since their earliest beginnings and used them to their advantage. "Baby, baby, baby" in particular has been used before, and really came across no better or worse in the past. Ultraracquet has always been ridiculous, but it works because it's well written, arranged, and properly sequenced within the album. Cock Crazy Tonight is no different.

As I pointed out before, Ultraracquet (Serve My Way) is coming from a much different place than Cock Crazy, one of desperation. And again, the "baby, baby, baby" on that song is more plaintive, the cry coming from the bowels of agony in the wreckage of a marriage. Here it's just trite, and the way it is used in the song, in terms of its placement, the delivery, and music behind it, is about as cliche as you can get, 80's pop radio staple bullshit.

To me, the verse vocal melody is what saves this, and while the music isn't particularly unique, I agree (that guitar part is just a lazy lift from Cock On), Claycourt's bass is at least snappy.

Evening, Cock Force. I had my dancing shoes on tonight. And while Boner is a pathological, sick liar, he was right in saying Irish people can't dance.

A shame that more people can't see the great elements in both versions.

But I do suspect the live version will have to be some kind of hybrid.

I'd say I slightly prefer NNOTH2, but don't blame that at all for putting NNOTH1 on the album. I think both are fantastic, and I really like the couple of suggestions of the band including both on the album. I think that could have worked really well if done right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom