SEEKING HELP! Are you familiar with Matthew Arnold and/or his poem "Dover Beach"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madonna's child

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I'm doing a presentation on Dover Beach for my english class. What is the theme? Is it about lost faith? Has the speaker lost his faith?

DOES ANYONE KNOW? Your help would be much appreciated!

------------------
"A word I've always liked more than happiness is joy. Happiness is a mood that comes and goes, whereas joy is just there." -Bono

The CIRCLE only has one side.

MESH RULES!!!!!
(thanks to Bono's American Wife)

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

Such a beautiful poem. Sad too. As far as I know, it's about how many people felt in the late 19th century, with the inroads that things like the theory of evolution and Biblical higher criticism made into people's faith in God. Perhaps also the unsettled state of the world (not sure exactly when it was written.) Apparently he wrote it on his honeymoon night. At the end, he tells his wife that they must remain true to one another because that's all they have left. Their faith in God is disappearing and nothing worthwhile seems to remain to replace it, besides their love for each other.

------------------
Love was never a single emotion

-ACROB@T

YES!!!!! that's what i thought it was about. a loss of faith as a result of the Victorian conflict between strict interpretation of religion and Darwinism.

Thank you for affirming my belief. I have the presentation next period, but now I'm not AS nervous.

It is a pretty poem, though, isn't it? When I read it through the first time, before I even started analyzing it, I couldn't help think it sounded like U2 lyrics. Packed full of imagery.

------------------
"A word I've always liked more than happiness is joy. Happiness is a mood that comes and goes, whereas joy is just there." -Bono

The CIRCLE only has one side.

MESH RULES!!!!!
(thanks to Bono's American Wife)

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom