Saturday Night Live

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skywalker

The Fly
Tonight is the season premiere of SNL and I believe Chris Kattan will be doing his Bono imitation. I saw a promo and it looked like it will be a skit about the MTV awards. I thought some of you might want to know. I also heard that the mayor of NYC along with firemen will be doing the opening monologue. I think it's worth the watch!

------------------
May the U2 force be with you

And, proving that they are on the cutting edge, they just did a sketch about THE LITTLE MERMAID, a movie that's -- what? -- TWELVE years old?

Oy.

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

comedy is timeless, bubba. isn't it just ridiculous when people do spoofs of greek tragedies? it's just so unintellectual because damnit those things are thousands of years old!

but don't worry, i'm not saying the mermaid sketch didn't suck (i didn't even see it so i wouldn't know), just that making fun of something that is not mainstream does not disqualify it from being good.

Originally posted by SkeeK:
comedy is timeless, bubba. isn't it just ridiculous when people do spoofs of greek tragedies? it's just so unintellectual because damnit those things are thousands of years old!

but don't worry, i'm not saying the mermaid sketch didn't suck (i didn't even see it so i wouldn't know), just that making fun of something that is not mainstream does not disqualify it from being good.

Skeek, Skeek, Skeek.

While it is true that comedy can be found in the most obscure corners of popular culture, it also true that Nixon impersonations and jokes about the New Kids on the Block come off as really stale.

One of the big keys to comedy is timing; to some, timing is everything. And when you're producing a weekly sketch comedy show, most references to events and the general culture should be TIMELY.

Instead, we have a sketch comedy show returning after a summer of reruns, and The Little Mermaid is what it spoofs? There was a summer of crap movies, and they dig back twelve years or so? Is it just me, or is this a bad sign?

Beyond that, the sketch was indeed terrible.

And, on a personal note, there's no need for the sarcasm. At the very least, if you want to appear witty, you ought to seriously consider using the Shift key every so often. That way, the first word in a sentence can begin with a capital letter, and your posts will appear to be written by a grown up.

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

Well... I guess I was wrong! But the promo did show Chris Kattan as Bono and Britney Spears with her snake. Maybe we'll see the skit on another show.

------------------
May the U2 force be with you

Originally posted by Skywalker:
Well... I guess I was wrong! But the promo did show Chris Kattan as Bono and Britney Spears with her snake. Maybe we'll see the skit on another show.

Dammit, you made me sit through that shite for nothing!
mad.gif

Curse you, Skywalker!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif

------------------
Trust In God...But Lock Your Doors

Ok, yeah you've got some points there.. but a sketch about the little mermaid could be really hilarious, since it's almost an intrinsic part of our culture now. since it was't, maybe they shoulda stuck to he present and ripped off the daily show for a few gaffs and follies instead.

I loved the mermaid skit
It was definitly hilarious!!
"When I'm arosed I release extra mucus which is a slimy extract that coats my eggsac"

Or something like that! Hilarious! and then Horatio comes out...thats when it got real funny, I think

and the Baby skit was just so disgusting that I couldn't help but laugh!

Jeopardy!! Forever one of the funniest SNL skits

------------------
"We got no style...swagger...but no style"

Originally posted by Basstrap:
I loved the mermaid skit
It was definitly hilarious!!
"When I'm arosed I release extra mucus which is a slimy extract that coats my eggsac"

That's why I think I didn't like it...it was just too gross, even for me!
biggrin.gif

------------------
PLEBA: It's Just A Stinkin' Forum!!!!!!! Yeesh!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Achtung Bubba:
Skeek, Skeek, Skeek.

That way, the first word in a sentence can begin with a capital letter, and your posts will appear to be written by a grown up.

in ever use caps. and i love it.

------------------
i'm a reasonable man
get off my case

[This message has been edited by kobayashi (edited 09-30-2001).]

SNL has sucked since the days of Chris Farley, David Spade, Dana Carvey, Norm MacDonald, Adam Sandler, Mike Myers, Rob Snider, Tim Meadows, etc. Ever since then, IMO, this show has just totally LACKED. 2 exceptions are Will Ferrel and Jimmy Fallon.
But hey....they actually have an attractive girl in the cast now! So, we'll see where that takes them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom