Saddam - executed !!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Justin24 said:
Axver yes I have been. But I cannot back away from my view.

"...the person you are yesterday is not the person you are today. It stands to reason then that the person who committed a crime may not be the person who you punish for the crime. If jail is supposed to be corrective, then what do you do if the correction works? What happens, if for whatever reason, a jail actually accomplishes its job and makes a new person out of someone? How do you deal with that?..."
-Xavier Waterkeyn, Death Row, 2006

i know how to kill someone by lethal injection, but cannot spell. figures.

Justin24 said:
Both are different situations. I would help the person in the street. Lethal injection, I dont this is painful unless I am wrong and someone can correct me in that .

Two needles are inserted into usable veins, usually in the arms. The condemned is first given a 5.0 gram dose of sodium thiopental, an anaesthestic that puts the recipient to sleep. Then comes 50cc of pancuronium bromide that paralyses the breathing muscles. finally 50cc of potassium chloride stops the heart. Death results essentially from poisoning in about 15 minutes. The cost of the chemicals is about $US87.00.

But hey, at least it's cheap.

Mohammed Natiq, a 24-year-old college student, said "the path of Arab nationalism must inevitably be paved with blood."

"God has decided that Saddam Hussein should have such an end, but his march and the course which he followed will not end," Natiq said.

Saddam has three daughters, and many grandchildren.

They are all likely mourning the loss of their father and grandfather now.

And all some of you can do is celebrate his death as though he was nothing more than the dirt on the bottom of your shoe.

they should be mourning the fact that their father/grandfather happened to be someone who tortured and murdered hundreds of thousands of people. if he had spent the rest of his days in jail, they would probably have had to think about that sooner or later. now they're just mourning his death.

this is an interesting question, btw.: will family members always love someone in the family, regardless of what kind of monster he or she turns into?

Last edited:
U2Man said:

this is an interesting question, btw.: will family members always love someone in the family, regardless of what kind of monster he or she turns into?

No. A friend of mine has not spoken to her abusive alcoholic father in 30 years and has no plans to ever reconcile the situation. Knowing her story, I can't really blame here. Love does have its limits, thankfully. Losing the love of family members is the ultimate punishment.

thats what i would think, too.

the question now is, how can saddam's relatives keep loving him, fully aware of what he has done?

Saddam never harmed one American

"Saddam hugged him and said he would be his brother."

Army nurse tells of Saddam's days in US custody

Monday, 01 Jan 2007 20:04

Saddam Hussein spent three years in US custody prior to his execution
An army nurse has provided a unique insight into former Iraqi president Saddam Hussein's time in US custody.

Master Sergeant Robert Ellis revealed how the dictator, executed on Saturday December 30th for crimes against humanity, watered weeds in the Baghdad prison garden and saved bread crusts from his meals to give to birds.

"He said he was a farmer when he was young and he never forgot where he came from," he said.

The nurse, who monitored Saddam's health between 2004 and 2005, also said the 69-year-old told him of how he used to read bedtime stories to his children.

Sgt Ellis told his hometown's paper the St Louis Post-Dispatch that Saddam was held in a cell that measured six by eight feet (1.8m by 2.4m); with a cot, a table, two plastic chairs and two wash basins.

"One day when I went to see him, he asked why we invaded. Well, he made gestures like shooting a machine gun and asked why soldiers came and shot up the place. He said the laws in Iraq were fair and the weapons inspectors didn't find anything," Sgt Ellis revealed.

"I said, 'That's politics. We soldiers don't get caught up in that sort of thing."

Sgt Ellis, who referred to Saddam as Victor under military code, said he was told by a US colonel that "Saddam Hussein cannot die in US custody", adding himself: "That was my job: to keep him alive and healthy, so they could kill him at a later date."

The soldier explained that the former president had "very good coping skills" and did not fear death but remained defiant that his actions had been for the good of Iraq.

When Sgt Ellis returned to the US because his brother was dying he revealed that Saddam hugged him and said he would be his brother.

why didnt the soldier ask him why he invaded two of his neighbouring countries and had millions of people killed in the process?

I admit, if this thread title had been Saddam - burninated !! I would have cracked up. Or Saddam - owned by rope !!

U2Man said:
why didnt the soldier ask him why he invaded two of his neighbouring countries and had millions of people killed in the process?

he invaded Iran at our (U S) behest

to contain the Ayatollah (the guy that threw the Shah (our puppet) out and took Americans hostage)

Saddam was executed for putting down
an attempted Shia (Iranian) assassination on his life in 1982 (having those involved killed, the way it is done during times of war and treason - collaboration with the enemy, Iran)

What did America (the then Reagan administration) think of that?

Well, Reagan sent Rumsfeld in 1983
(the year after 1982 incident
that Saddam was executed for)

to say "Good job!"

rumsfeld_saddam.jpg

do you or can anyone consider this trial, and conviction legitimate?

Two of the defense lawyers were murdered during the trial.
The judge was removed and replaced by a Judge more to the liking of the Shias and Iranians.

The defense was not allowed the standard right to call witnesses.

What do I think of Saddam? I think he is (was) probably guilty of great crimes deserving severe punishment

I think there is much exaggeration in what is attributed to him,
much like the WMDs claims and 911 links that all but the completely ignorant still cling to.

Last edited:
even if the vast majority of what you say is true, no one can deny that saddam killed and tortured thousands of people and that it would be a slap in the face to their relatives, if saddam was just set free.

but i agree entirely, that saddam is not the only culprit in this game. he was just easy to eradicate so that others could wash their hands and not fear that he would eventually tell the world something they wouldnt want the world to hear.

shart1780 said:
I pray that I never live in a country where the murderer and torturer of millions of innocent lives is treated just as lightly as the murderer of one.

So sorry to end your illusions .. you do.

Justin24 said:
If your into evolution, then were still a planet of apes, only we don't look like our cousins in the Zoo.

Why are you badmouthing apes? The human race is much more cruel than any other species on this planet.

Justin24 said:
Is it because of my beliefs in pro-death penalty. So people who believe in that are narrow minded and sheep and people who are against it are more enlightened?

Yes.

(poor sheep, however)

Say hi to your mom and your priest. I do believe they are more "enlightened" and they are closer to following Jesus´ words than you.

Lara Mullen said:
you almost seem to take joy in the fact that humans have suffered. That is something I will never be able to understand.

Many people seem to take joy in that.

That´s human nature.

If they wouldn´t, this planet wouldn´t be so fucked up.

Lots of others just don´t care, or underestimate their influence. How many scientits construct weapons and viruses without taking responsibility? Slaves of money. How many soldiers are out there killing civilians without taking responsibility? Slaves of what they call their country.

Human nature.

No disrespect 2 the birds n bees!

p.s. I know a tree I hug

deep said:

he invaded Iran at our (U S) behest

to contain the Ayatollah (the guy that threw the Shah (our puppet) out and took Americans hostage)

Saddam was executed for putting down
an attempted Shia (Iranian) assassination on his life in 1982 (having those involved killed, the way it is done during times of war and treason - collaboration with the enemy, Iran)

What did America (the then Reagan administration) think of that?

Well, Reagan sent Rumsfeld in 1983
(the year after 1982 incident
that Saddam was executed for)

to say "Good job!"

rumsfeld_saddam.jpg

Hi deep -

nice picture.

That´s the point I made by replying to shart1780 s post (see 4 posts up there). Thank you for the illustration.

Was in a Radio Shack in my hometown in western North Dakota at the end of the year. The salesman made small talk by suggesting that Saddam should have been brought to Times Square and hanged on New Year's eve by the dropping ball counting down to midnight.

Bush has destroyed not only Iraq but our country also.

Yep, sure did. Pretty sure we paid for a bunch of the weapons in Afghanistan too, incidentally.

People are being pretty disrespectful of Justin in this thread. While I don't necessarily agree with him on many issues, some of the comments are pretty personal.

what i found most interesting were the cries of "Moktada! Moktada! Moktada!" after Saddam was hung.

one dictator for another.

no progress.

Hey Irvine, Happy New Year!

verbatim_al-sadr.jpg

there are probably a lot of people that do not realize that Moktada

is Sadr

and he considered Rumsfeld a friend
as he set his death squads free to cut heads

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:

Yes.

(poor sheep, however)

Say hi to your mom and your priest. I do believe they are more "enlightened" and they are closer to following Jesus´ words than you.

Nice attack. I do hope you have a splenddid day and please do keep safe and have a happy new year. I hope you like how I am killing you with Kindness.

I've had a long think about this, and I've come to the conclusion that I don't support this execution at all.

Casting aside the death penalty debate, what this has done is to create a martyr figure for the insurgents, and I think Iraq will suffer further destabilisation.

Sad, really.

and what's going to be worse is when the US is going to be forced to choose a side in the civil war -- Sunni or Shiite?

truly, no good options. no options.

Irvine511 said:
what i found most interesting were the cries of "Moktada! Moktada! Moktada!" after Saddam was hung.

one dictator for another.

no progress.

:up:

The whole Saddam thing was a sad and disgusting parade. He was a brutal bastard, but is our goal to become just like him in his wake? The old adage is true--violence begets violence.

I truly don't know how to feel about this.

Of course the death penalty is wrong and it is hipocritical that we are saying that murder is against the law but we are doing it to someone too.

But also he killed a lot of people.

I wouldn't think executing is the right answer but I would do something enough of what he deserves :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom