Rumored opening act for U2 Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4U2Play

Refugee
More rumors for the mill...

... according to this same 'reliable source', Men At Work 'might' open for U2 on some of the Oz dates.

Colin Hay and Greg Ham are still going strong, apparently.

Should make for a nice, familiar opener, not some young band trying to prove themselves.

Join with me, Timo:

We want Shihad!
We want Shihad!
We want Shihad!
We want Shihad!
We want Shihad!

I think it could be someone like grinspoon or eskimo joe ... i'd love to see powderfinger but i think they're too big in Australia to do an opening slot ... i don't want shihad i dont like them at all i want youth group but i dont think it will happen

Normally i would say The Church or The Go-Betweens but last night i went to a cd launch of local Adelaide band Little Ice Age and they get my vote! Log on to www.littleiceage.com and check em out

then again
Crowded house (reformed)
split enz (reformed)
finn brothers
nick cave
the vines (revived!)
things of stone and wood
custard (reformed)
david ross mcdonald (obscure)
etc

timothius said:

That will be happening around the same time. :hmm: :drool:

Hey, Tim, can you tell me more about this Split Enz reunion, like if either/both Finns will be in it or anything like that?

Axver said:

Hey, Tim, can you tell me more about this Split Enz reunion, like if either/both Finns will be in it or anything like that?

Context: In 2003 there were going to be nightly concerts during the World Cup in Sydney (ala the Olympics), the plan was to have True Colours line-up of the Enz (would have been the first time since 1981) play on a barge on Sydney Harbour (the earliest plan was the Opera House steps I think, but that got canned for obvious reasons). Anyway about 2 months out the ARU in their infinite wisdom, managed to somehow cross the musical/sporting divide and crush the plan.

Now: At the ARIA HOF show this year it seems they chatted amongst themselves and decided now would be a good idea to get it together and make up for the nearly was in 2003. Although instead it will be an Australian tour (first since 1984) and will be the TC line-up (both Finns). However there are cryptic rumours doing the rounds that it may be more of a spectacular featuring members from all eras of the Enz... all conjecture at this point. The last word from the club was its 95% definite, was going to be March now more like May, should have dates/tickets by Christmas.

:blahblah: :hyper: :blahblah:

timothius said:

Context: In 2003 there were going to be nightly concerts during the World Cup in Sydney (ala the Olympics), the plan was to have True Colours line-up of the Enz (would have been the first time since 1981) play on a barge on Sydney Harbour (the earliest plan was the Opera House steps I think, but that got canned for obvious reasons). Anyway about 2 months out the ARU in their infinite wisdom, managed to somehow cross the musical/sporting divide and crush the plan.

Now: At the ARIA HOF show this year it seems they chatted amongst themselves and decided now would be a good idea to get it together and make up for the nearly was in 2003. Although instead it will be an Australian tour (first since 1984) and will be the TC line-up (both Finns). However there are cryptic rumours doing the rounds that it may be more of a spectacular featuring members from all eras of the Enz... all conjecture at this point. The last word from the club was its 95% definite, was going to be March now more like May, should have dates/tickets by Christmas.

:blahblah: :hyper: :blahblah:

:hyper: You've got me all excited now, which isn't an easy feat considering I'm already in a general state of excitement about the U2 tour. Wow, that would be amazing. :hyper:

Though what strange crack was the ARU on? Bloody Australian rugby people. :tsk:

When there's some kind of announcement, would you mind passing the news on to me? I'd definitely love to see them. (OK, so I'm sure you'll be happy and gloating for days on end, but thought I'd ask anyway.)

Axver said:

When there's some kind of announcement, would you mind passing the news on to me? I'd definitely love to see them. (OK, so I'm sure you'll be happy and gloating for days on end, but thought I'd ask anyway.)

:up:

No worries dude. It should be a fairly big announcement, not on U2-level, but these back-to-the-late-70's trips seem to be pretty big these days. I just hope that the baby boomers don't drive prices up too much (hopefully no more than Neil/Tim this year)... but yeah, they are on their 17th wind of popularity at the moment, what with the huge tour this year, the chart success of SWHHW and the Homebake headlining spot. :up:

:blahblah:

//

On topic... I would like to see U2 support these guys. :yes:

timothius said:

:yes:

Although I think you might be being too generous to Paul & John there. :sexywink:

Did you see them about at the Adeladie show about 1 year ago? :hyper:

yes indeed! entertainment centre has hopeless acoustics unfortunatly but i wouldnt have missed it for the world. have never seen the enz but did see tha house twice, once at Thebarton theatre (best venue in the world) together alone tour and at Womadelaide during which Tim made an appearance

timothius said:
It should be a fairly big announcement, not on U2-level, but these back-to-the-late-70's trips seem to be pretty big these days.

As true as this may be, I have a remarkable ability to completely miss hearing about some things. I'm actually kind of surprised I knew the Finn Brothers had put out an album last year.

Ticket prices better be reasonable after how badly I'm going to blow the bank on this U2 tour. Maybe I can leech off family! :happy:

Or they could open for U2 and U2 can take the stage to the final notes of Hard Act To Follow. :yes: :up:

reptile said:

yes indeed! entertainment centre has hopeless acoustics unfortunatly but i wouldnt have missed it for the world. have never seen the enz but did see tha house twice, once at Thebarton theatre (best venue in the world) together alone tour and at Womadelaide during which Tim made an appearance

Well you are two-up on me. The closest I ever got to seeing the House was Tim/Neil/Paul playing together for the last time ever on The Sessions recordings (or Tim/Neil/Eddie/Nick at Homebake next month :wink: )... I would sacrifice my first three children to have seen Crowded House live. :sad:

Womadeladie. The band was very hot at that time, I have the boot of that show actually, it's awesome. :up:

I don't know if you are into The Oils, if you are did you manage to hit the 98 Redneck Wonderland tour? Adeladie have had some quality shows, just not quantity. :(

timothius said:

Well you are two-up on me. The closest I ever got to seeing the House was Tim/Neil/Paul playing together for the last time ever on The Sessions recordings (or Tim/Neil/Eddie/Nick at Homebake next month :wink: )... I would sacrifice my first three children to have seen Crowded House live. :sad:

Womadeladie. The band was very hot at that time, I have the boot of that show actually, it's awesome. :up:

I don't know if you are into The Oils, if you are did you manage to hit the 98 Redneck Wonderland tour? Adeladie have had some quality shows, just not quantity. :(

yes! that reminds me (sit down and pour yourself a drink) one of the many oils shows i witnessed was at Heaven night club during the hits (forget what it was called) tour and rob hirst was ill and paul hester sat in on drums!!!!! what a night! the oils where the loosest i have ever seen them but what a piece of history....i also saw them at womadalaide and at the theby on thw wonderland tour. one of the most amazing live bands ever

reptile said:

yes! that reminds me (sit down and pour yourself a drink) one of the many oils shows i witnessed was at Heaven night club during the hits (forget what it was called) tour and rob hirst was ill and paul hester sat in on drums!!!!! what a night! the oils where the loosest i have ever seen them but what a piece of history....i also saw them at womadalaide and at the theby on thw wonderland tour. one of the most amazing live bands ever

:drunk:

Thats why I asked! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

After Paul's passing in March, Mick Molloy played some of the highlights of Paul on his and Tony's show. One of them was Paul's account of that show in Adeladie... I was literally crying with laughter the way he mocked himself and the Oils was priceless, I have the mp3... I should up it. :shifty:

You are so blessed to have come from that era. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom