Roy Retiring?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chizip said:
so cujo, if you had to pick one goalie in their prime to win a big game, would you pick hasek, or roy?

No comment. I'm a biased prick.

PS- I agree, that the measuring stick for any goaltender is in his ability to perform at the all-star game. Therefore, since Dominik Hasek is the only goalie to ever score in the "Goalie Scoring" competition... he's the best ever. I mean, look at the talent.

:wink:

cujo said:

Roy played for a good team just about every year... and I think that AvsGirl can concede that Colorado has been just as good as Detroit the past few seasons (lest we forget Roy surrendered 7 goals in a game 7 performance, which is clutch if you ask me :wink:)...

Game 7 was bizarre and ugly. It's sad, if Roy stuck it out for another season I think he could erase everyone's memory of that, but now he won't.

We have had an amazing group of players. I honestly think we should have won at least one more Cup than we did. I don't think we could have repeated--2002 was Hasek's year, the way 2001 was Bourques, but this season the Cup was up for grabs and we fell pathetically short.

There's been too many trades and the pieces have just never fit together again. Roy just didn't have it in him to carry the team for a second season in a row--he did it in 2002 and I think it was too much to ask *any* goalie for a repeat. It was time for the team to carry Roy and they just couldn't do it. :shrug:

cujo said:

I just shortened it... if I took anything out of context, I would have put a wink in there. Plus, that's what you said... the early days were when Hockey was honest... my mental faculties are unable to come up with an alternate meaning to what you said.

The gloves are off, and I'm gonna jersey both you're asses :wink:... don't take anything I say too seriously. I tend to take goaltending debates a little personally... looks like I'm not the only one either.

:yes:
Yes, it is out of context. I was referring to the fact that they gave Hextall the Conn Smythe even though the Flyers didn't win the Cup. I was also saying that they award the Conn Smythe to the best player in the playoffs (as they should), and not simply the MVP of the regular season.

fine, then lets not use the term "best." i agree that roy has had the best career of any goalie. but i think hasek is the most talented goalie ever.

Chizip said:
tell me, why did cujo head off to detroit :wink:

Same reason pretty much... except cujo didn't even have a defense. Just look at how well Belfour faired in his playoff appearance with the Leafs. During cujo's tenure, the Leafs never lost in the first round... so go figure.

PS- Michael, you're taking me out of context... the point I was making was that it was rather suspicious that Joe didn't win the Smythe, seeing as he won it in 1996 (the last time Col won the Cup) and he got tons of hardware at the 2001 NHL awards (especially the Lester B. Pearson... which is voted on by the players). They just gave it to Roy... a sympathy vote. :wink:

AvsGirl41 said:

:hug: You hold your own. :sexywink:

But I haven't left yet, this place truly is the blue crack.
I know, believe me. I think I truly have an addiction. I need to break free!!! Help me!!! Please!!! Somebody!!! Really. I need to get out more. Thanks again, AG.

A parting shot.

I suspect Roy is trying to steal some of Giguere's thunder and that's why he's making his announcement early. Yes, I'm being spiteful.

cujo said:

PS- Michael, you're taking me out of context... the point I was making was that it was rather suspicious that Joe didn't win the Smythe, seeing as he won it in 1996 (the last time Col won the Cup) and he got tons of hardware at the 2001 NHL awards (especially the Lester B. Pearson... which is voted on by the players). They just gave it to Roy... a sympathy vote. :wink:
I don't know. I think Roy deserved to win the Smythe based on his performance in the finals.

Sheesh U2 hockey fans are dirty fighters.

Next time I come in here, I'm wearing a cup.

As for best/most talented goalie ever... I could never make that estimation. There's simply too many factors to consider, like the strength of their team, the strength of competition, length of season/playoffs, and the rule changes (mainly equipment size and net width). So, my opinion is moot (or is it mute? :wink:)

Michael Griffiths said:

I don't know. I think Roy deserved to win the Smythe based on his performance in the finals.

I'm going to quibble your fine points... the Conn Smythe goes to the PLAYOFF MVP, not the Finals MVP. So, it's based on consistent performance... which is why I thought Joe was the logical choice.

Last edited:
Michael Griffiths said:

Just look down, shoot, and hope for the best. That always works. It was a fine parting shot, AG.

No, no, no! Head up! Always keep the head up! That way you can see the goalie.

Supposedly.

Maybe you're right. You are Canadian, after all. My coach is only Minnesotan.

Michael Griffiths said:

I thought the Vezina trophy was a regular season award (I'm also quibbling your fine points :wink: )

damn it, you know what I meant... I'm trying to reply to six different threads. I meant the Conn Smythe not the Vezina. I mix up trophies almost as often as Roy relocates the hinges of his doors :wink:.

AvsGirl41 said:

No, no, no! Head up! Always keep the head up! That way you can see the goalie.

Supposedly.

Maybe you're right. You are Canadian, after all. My coach is only Minnesotan.
No, AG, you're actually right, lol...the true goal scorers always keep their heads up...but if you want to score on a prayer, you look down, and just give her...and hope for the best. Granted, players who do this never score, but it's beside the point. :wink:

Michael Griffiths said:

No, AG, you're actually right, lol...the true goal scorers always keep their heads up...but if you want to score on a prayer, you look down, and just give her...and hope for the best. Granted, players who do this never score, but it's beside the point. :wink:

:laugh:

Prayer, that might be the missing component...

At least I'm getting them in the empty net now. :reject:

Hey, you've got to start somewhere...and a good parting shot is a great way to start. Empty nets work quite well, too, but I think you've already taken the next step. It's all baby steps. haha, you'd probably kick my butt in hockey, who am I kidding.

:laugh:

Baby steps is right, I have very short legs and strides. Pretty much anyone can beat me to the net.

I'm told I can finally make the F level of the RMHL though, so hey! :up: Little victories. :sexywink: My advantage is my small size, innocent demeanor and foul language.

hey Griffs, I just want to make one more point beforeI let this thing die. Now I know this is an extreme, but I'm just doing it to make a point, so bear with me.

Lets say there is team A who is full of superstars for 10 years, by far the greatest team ever, offensively and defensively. But they have the worst goalie of all time. Every game they give up 10 shots and he lets in 9 goals. So he has a GA of 9.00 and a Save % of .100 in the 10 years. But, they score 10 goals every game. So they always win, and they won 10 Stanley Cups with him.

Now there is Team B, the worst team of all time. They give up 100 shots a game. But they have a great goalie, he stops 99 of them. So he has a 1.00 GA and a .990 Save %. But his team never scores, so they lose every game 1-0. But he ends up winning 10 Vezinas.

Now by your theory, you would say the goalie on Team A is better than the goalie on Team B, because he has 10 Stanley Cups, and that means more than the 10 Vezinas, since the Stanley Cups are the ultimate "individual" accomplishment. So do you see how ridiculous that is?

EXACTLY!!!

I thoroughly agree... so much so in fact, that for the first time I'm going to have to say Fuckin' Eh!

Chizip summed up my sentiments about measuring goaltending prowess... :up:

It's Official now.

I'm taking bets for how long it will take for the "Roy comeback"...

Back
Top Bottom