Rolling Stones double shift?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ouizy

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I wonder if Willie Williams and Mark Fisher are working on the Stones stage, and moreover, as U2 will still be on tour when the Stones come, I guess that means that Willie definitely will not be on tour with them this time?

Thoughts?

Isn't one of U2's stage- or floormanagers usually involved with the Stones... All four U2 members gave this guy a call in order to persuade him to work for U2 this year instead of the Stones...
Stones are starting their tour next month, aren't they?

We're talking about Jake Berry here...

Here's the bit from U2.com
How I Ended up Working With U2
I first met Paul McGuinness when I was working for the Rolling Stones on the Voodoo Lounge Tour and Paul came to a couple of shows. Probably Michael Cohl – the promoter - introduced us. We got talking and one day Paul just said, almost in passing as a joke, ‘We’ll hire you one day!’ I said, ‘One day Paul you’ll be able to afford me!’ Just joking really! Then Elevation came along in 2001 and Clear Channel and Arthur Fogel wanted me to join the tour so I joined as Production Manager.
Then when Vertigo came out the band called me up and asked me if I would be interested in doing it. If the tour had been last year I would have had no problem – there was no Stones tour then. But then U2’s tour was delayed and they knew I had a potential conflict – with the rumours that the Stones would be out in 2005 as well. So all four members of the band rang me up one day, all of them in one room with Bono saying, ‘Jake we’ve heard a rumour that the Rolling Stones are going to tour this year and all four of us want to say that we want you to come and work for us!’
It took me a while to decide. To leave the Rolling Stones after ten years was a pretty big deal but there are rhymes and reasons to these things and here I am. I couldn’t tell you the main reason – except that I really enjoyed working for U2 on Elevation.

wtonis said:
We're talking about Jake Berry here...

Here's the bit from U2.com
How I Ended up Working With U2
I first met Paul McGuinness when I was working for the Rolling Stones on the Voodoo Lounge Tour and Paul came to a couple of shows. Probably Michael Cohl – the promoter - introduced us. We got talking and one day Paul just said, almost in passing as a joke, ‘We’ll hire you one day!’ I said, ‘One day Paul you’ll be able to afford me!’ Just joking really! Then Elevation came along in 2001 and Clear Channel and Arthur Fogel wanted me to join the tour so I joined as Production Manager.
Then when Vertigo came out the band called me up and asked me if I would be interested in doing it. If the tour had been last year I would have had no problem – there was no Stones tour then. But then U2’s tour was delayed and they knew I had a potential conflict – with the rumours that the Stones would be out in 2005 as well. So all four members of the band rang me up one day, all of them in one room with Bono saying, ‘Jake we’ve heard a rumour that the Rolling Stones are going to tour this year and all four of us want to say that we want you to come and work for us!’
It took me a while to decide. To leave the Rolling Stones after ten years was a pretty big deal but there are rhymes and reasons to these things and here I am. I couldn’t tell you the main reason – except that I really enjoyed working for U2 on Elevation.

Very interesting, thanks for posting it.

ouizy said:
I wonder if Willie Williams and Mark Fisher are working on the Stones stage, and moreover, as U2 will still be on tour when the Stones come, I guess that means that Willie definitely will not be on tour with them this time?

Thoughts?
I don't remember Willie Williams designing the set for the Stones :eyebrow:

Mark yes, but Willie?

Willie might have done some video production... But he isn't needed on the road for this...

No - Fisher did the set, and Williams did the video. He did tour with the Stones last time, but I am guessing that since now leaving the Vertigo stadium tour for the time being, he is programming, accumulating, filming etc all the Stones stuff now for their upcoming tour.

Fisher actually plays a bigger role for the Stones than he does for U2. He not only does the technical architecture (what he does for U2), but he actually designs the show (what Willie does for U2.)

Very interesting.

ouizy said:
No - Fisher did the set, and Williams did the video. He did tour with the Stones last time, but I am guessing that since now leaving the Vertigo stadium tour for the time being, he is programming, accumulating, filming etc all the Stones stuff now for their upcoming tour.

Fisher actually plays a bigger role for the Stones than he does for U2. He not only does the technical architecture (what he does for U2), but he actually designs the show (what Willie does for U2.)

Very interesting.
As I said in another topic... Mark is a great architect, but a not so good designer imo... I don't know if it's the Stones who decide the basic layout of each of their stages, but for the Stones it's always the same!

Sure the (stadium Forty Licks) stage was gigantic with moving screens and many MANY lights... But it was a typical Stones stage.. And that's too bad imo... The European Vertigo stage is something fresh...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom