Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) IV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The 5 that make me laugh the most:

1 Monty Python and the Holy Grail
2 The Big Lebowski
3 Annie Hall (I like Manhattan more overall, but Annie Hall makes me laugh more)
4 Broadcast News
5 This is Spinal Tap

Honorable mention to Swingers, several Mel Brooks films and Defending Your Life

Be Kind Rewind - 6.0

I got to see this at a press screening this evening. Good vibe in the theater, though the film was a bit disappointing. The script is remarkably weak, especially in the first act of the film and a bit into the second. For a comedy, there are very few good lulz to be found, though I did appreciate the Gondry's commentary on analog vs. digital technology and his satire on the Hollywood production system. That aspect of the film was the most well done part of the film, since there's little pleasure to be had in the acting or writing. It does have a good heart though, and I found myself grinning by the very end of the film. It really does pick up during the last 30 minutes or so, which probably helped me leave with a better perception of the film than it deserves. There were a couple good laughs though, specifically one involving Jack Black in blackface.

But ultimately, I think it's safe to safe Michel Gondry is pretty close to worthless without a good writer, specifically Charlie Kaufman. It doesn't seem like Spike Jonze (the other director to benefit greatly form Kaufman's writing) will suffer the same fate of Gondry, who seems to be stuck in some bizarre swell of mediocrity. He has clever ideas, and is an occasionally inspired filmmaker, but he clearly needs something more focused to work from.

lazarus said:
I like Spinal Tap, but it wouldn't be in my Top 5.

1. Bringing Up Baby
2. Annie Hall
3. Caddyshack
4. The Big Lebowski
5. Fletch

These are the 5 that I laugh at the most, not necessarily the best "films". I'd probably have Young Frankenstein up there as an alternate.

Oh, it's me, Dr. Rosenpenis.

If we're doing Top 5s:

1. The Big Lebowski
2. Young Frankenstein
3. Ghostbusters
4. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
5. Caddyshack

Annie Hall, even after one viewing, is definitely in the Top 10. I had some good belly laughs from that movie.

Comedies?

1. The Big Lebowski
2. Young Frankenstein
3. Arthur
4. Christmas Vacation
5. The 40 Year Old Virgin

Again, not the best films, but they make me laugh the most.

The Wrong Arm of the Law
Another old British comedy, this time starring Peter Sellers as the head of a slightly sorry gang of crooks. Business is going fine with his women’s boutique offering a solid front and a helpful extra source of income, until a new gang from Australia turn up posing as coppers and hijacking every job they pull. It’s a daft premise that allows Sellers to shine one more as an almost Blackadder-type crime boss in a film that offers more than just a few sly digs at the establishment. Not as broad as Chaplin kicking the rozzers up the arse at every opportunity, but the disdain for the ‘proper order of things’ is still there. But even without these undertones it’s still a highly entertaining, old fashioned film for a weekend afternoon.

Dark City
Visually gripping from the start, this pre-Matrix neo-noir (no pun intended) from Alex ‘The Crow’ Proyas is a triumph of style and design without the sacrifice of substance. A man (Rufus Sewell) wakes up in a bath tub in a strange apartment with no memory and immediately receives a call telling him to get out before The Strangers arrive for him. So far so Total Recall, but the film maintains a murky tone throughout without becoming as OTT as that other sci-fi film. Well, until the last ten minutes at least. Jennifer Connelly has scarcely looked better on screen and it given the added bonus of a great introduction. Kiefer Sutherland plays an uncharacteristically feeble role, but it’s Rufus who carries the film. He’s our connection to the film and were it not for a wholly unnecessary voice over at the beginning we would know nothing or less than what he does. It’s as redundant as the one from the original cut of Blade Runner and takes away from the first act considerably. It’s a mistake that The Matrix was smart enough to avoid the following year.

Run Lola Run
It’s been a while since I first saw this; in fact I think it was one of the very first examples world cinema that I experienced. Anyway, it’s a complete tour de force of a film that rarely lets up from the get-go. Employing swirling cameras, hand held, still frame montages, rapid editing and freewheeling animation to hurtle the remarkably slight story forwards, director Tom Tykwer gets the viewer as adrenalised as his heroine. The German title translates literally as ‘Lola Runs’ and boy does she ever do that. Aside from the frantic style, the other main selling point is the way the story is told. Lola has twenty minutes to raise 100,000DM and deliver it to her boyfriend, but things don’t quite go to plan. So we jump back and watch her again. And again. Each run is slightly different from the other, with the most insignificant differences snowballing into a completely different resolution. Seconds really do count in this story. An interesting detail of the film is when the futures of the characters she encounters is quickly summarised during each run, with each future alternating dramatically with every tiny difference in the encounter. There’s plenty more to dig into but I’d rather not spoil it for any of you that have yet to see it. But it’s refreshing to have such a visceral film that throw up so many thought-provoking questions about life and reality.

Cinema Paradiso (International Cut
Films about films are hardly uncommon but don’t really seem to come along that often. Of those that have, this is undoubtedly one of the very best and most instantly accessible. I’d previously only seen the extended version and if there’s anyone reading this that is thinking of watching this film, stick with the original, two-hour version. It’s much more magical and innocent. The extended version is still very good, but changes the tone significantly towards the end.

Anyway, watching the sweeter version for the first time I was still completely enraptured by young Toto’s awe of cinema and the rose coloured lens through which his older self reminisced. The scenery, characters and photography exude warmth and vibrancy and it’s such a pleasure to watch, even though there are hard times for Toto and his family. These childhood scenes are easily my favourite, focussing on Toto’s developing relationship with projectionist Alfredo and his infatuation with everything cinematic. His teenage years where he discovers a new love are still charming but tinged with a sadness absent from earlier. Sure they allow for the poignant finale that I wouldn’t dream of spoiling here, but it’s the childhood scenes that stay with me for longer.

There are so many gorgeous scenes scattered throughout the film too. Aside from the ending there’s the outdoor cinema, Toto’s movie kiss and more that I can’t do justice to in print. A film for anyone who loves films or simply with love in their heart.

As for comedies, a rough top five would look something like this:

1. Ghost Busters
2. American Pie
3. Arsenic and Old Lace
4. The Fortune Cookie
5. South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut

Those probably make me laugh more than any others but there's so many more I could include on a different day.

I don't know if you've seen any of Tornatore's other films, MS, but I HIGHLY recommend The Legend of 1900. It's in English, starring Tim Roth and Pruitt Taylor Vince. Another Morricone score, one of his most underrated. It's about musicians and ocean liners, what more could you ask for?

Just so you know, Tornatore is currently working on a film called Leningrad, which is coincidentally the name of the film Sergio Leone was preparing before he died. Maybe it's not a coincidence. Morricone is a long-time collaborator of both directors and is signed for this film, so who knows.

It should be very cool, like an Italian version of Kubrick passing the reins to Spielberg for A.I. This one will probably have a good ending, though.

Well Citizen Kane was probably the most beautifully shot film I've ever seen. The one shot in particular of Kane's parents and Thatcher in the cabin with Charles playing outside was the fucking win right there. The story itself is pretty simple, but the approach and non-linear style make it more complex and textured than the standard A, B, C approach that could've been easily done. Oh, and the make-up was brilliant - especially in Kane's age progression. I'm glad I sat down and watched it - now I'm even more excited for Touch of Evil.

Best Milkshake Moment: Kane, in need of a staff as great as The Chronicle's for his own newspaper, buys the entire staff of the Chronicle, then gets jiggy with a dancer or two. You're the man now, Kane!

He...drinks...your...NEWSPAPE!!!

citizen-kane-afi-top.jpg

You PASS.

The makeup is just one of the aspects that's often overlooked. It's really uncanny how good it is. You probably know about some of these things already, and this is just a very basic run-down, but for starters:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizen_kane#Filmmaking_innovations

Welles himself is often overlooked in the acting department, and he surely didn't give himself an easy role to play while wearing all these hats. While the acting style is pre-Brando and a bit theatrical, he really creates a memorable character, with about as many shades of grey as you'll see in the cinema.

You might go right into The Magnificent Ambersons before Touch of Evil, though like me you'll probably like the latter more. Ambersons just flows so well after Kane because it features many of the same actors, and a similar filmmaking style, though one that is more toned-down and less showy. Shame that over half of it was cut and destroyed by the studio.

I'm usually turned off by that older, theatrical acting, but he did do a terrific job. Another one of my favorite scenes was the extended opera sequence, cutting between Susan, the director, and Kane in the shadows - great shit, son.

I should have that on DVR by next Wednesday. I'll try and at least watch The Godfather Part III and Manhattan by then.

And I'm pretty sure after watching Ambersons and Touch of Evil you'll be ready to declare Welles the greatest director of all time. Which he is. No one has the variety and brilliance of composition, the balance between montage and mise-en-scene that he does.

No one.

So, The Godfather Part III...

The basic plot of the redemption/death of Michael Corleone was handled pretty well, especially the scene where he confesses his sins. Another stand-out scene was the Atlantic City shoot-out - rivaling Sonny's death in I as my favorite shoot-out in the series. But, there's a one but, the rest of the film falls flat. I really despised Andy Garcia (who was nominated for Best Supporting Actor that year), Talia Shire, and Diane Keaton in this; one's completely retarded, and the other two sit and complain the entire fucking time. Sofia Coppola wasn't terrible, but the combo of her and Garcia as shacking cousins didn't work - it would've with stronger performances, but it was dull and uninteresting. Oh, and no Robert Duvall just because he wanted some money? Fuck that shit. Tom's the man. I also didn't like the near 10-minute re-showing of scenes from the first two films - even if it's supposed to be Michael's recollection... we know what happened already. What's the point?

It didn't disappoint me much because I knew it couldn't live up to the other two - it was good, but too flawed to be great.

Lancemc said:
Comedies?

1. The Big Lebowski
2. Young Frankenstein
3. Arthur
4. Christmas Vacation
5. The 40 Year Old Virgin

Again, not the best films, but they make me laugh the most.

No Raising Arizona?

I crack up everytime 40 Year Old Virgin is on :lmao:
Steve Carell was on Oprah on Monday for the Dr. Seuss movie (with Jim Carey & Carol Burnett), and they showed a g-rated version of the scene where Carell's chest gets waxed. He didn't expect that much pain he said. And yes, it was real, and the main point was to get the reaction of the friends that accompanied him to the salon (for lack of a better word).

I saw Hot Rod tonight. I thought it was one of the funnier movies I've seen recently.

Friday Night Lights

7/10

I liked this more than I was expecting. Being a fan of the show, I figured I'd check out the source material (although not quite the original - I have no desire to read the book).

I was surprised at how closely at least the beginning of the TV show echoed the movie: the star who gets injured, the player struggling with caring for an ill family member ... heck, then you have Connie Britton playing the coach's wife on TV and on film, and even the guy playing Buddy Garrity on the TV show has a role in the movie - ha!

Some of the set up scenic shots and the music reminded me of the TV show as well. This was not a bad thing.

(A twofer Friday in the corianderstem household!)

La Vie En Rose

8/10

Well. I haven't seen Away From Her, but if Marion Cotillard doesn't win Best Actress Sunday night, I'm going to be very disappointed.

This should also win best makeup, I think. That was quite the transformation they did on her to be Edith Piaf in "old" age (old as in what - 44 when she died, was it? She looked 80.).

Parts of the movie had me feeling like I wasn't all that sympathetic towards Edith. A sad life to be sure, but sometimes my reaction was "yeah, who hasn't had a hard life? get over it." But the more the movie went on, the more I felt sorrow for her.

Maybe I can chalk it up to the performance. I didn't have any knowledge of Edit Piaf going in, other than she was a French cabaret singer and that she sang "La Vie En Rose."

Anyway. It's late, and I'm rambling. Off to bed!

Back for 10 days next weekend. I can't wait. I checked the calendar at my favorite revival theatre and I'm going to be able to see a double feature of The Parallax View and Klute (70's thriller night).

Plus they'll have a bunch of current shit that I'm unable to see in this armpit of the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom