Return of the "Stuck In A Moment" Strat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edge_Orchestra

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Look familiar?

251497_10150257024302671_577342670_8160141_5342842_n.jpg

The picture is from "Pride..." from the July 23rd show in Minneapolis, MN.

I am not 100% sure (need to see some more photos) but it looks to be that Edge was using his 1959 ("Stuck In A Moment...") Stratocaster.

I first learned of the guitar from seeing it in Point Depot photos, from the 'Rattle And Hum' rehearsal and recording sessions.

Strat-196x-natural-PointDepot-842x649-1.jpg

Legend has it that particular Strat was THE guitar used for "a lot of the anthems in the late 1980's. (Perhaps things like "I Still Haven't Found...", "All I Want Is You"?).

If that is the "Stuck" Stratocaster, it becomes more intriguing. I remember Edge saying that he'd promised Dallas to never take that guitar out on tour as that guitar was very special. Both felt it had a lot of 'mojo'. But for the Elevation tour they did take it out as it was THE sound of "Stuck...".

That said, I'd not seen it used in 10 years... until possibly last Saturday in MN.

And if it was that Strat, the more interesting thing would be they bring it out to a show... and it pours down rain! But you can see in the videos below, he stayed under the umbrella for most of the song.

Clips of "Pride..." from MN

‪U2 - Pride (In The Name Of Love) (Minneapolis 2011) - 13 of 21‬‏ - YouTube

‪U2 - "Pride (In The Name Of Love)" - Minneapolis, 7-23-11‬‏ - YouTube

‪U2 @ TCF Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, MN 7/23/11 Pride (In the Name of Love)‬‏ - YouTube

‪U2 performing "Pride (In The Name Of Love)" @ TCF Bank Stadium 07-23-11‬‏ - YouTube

‪U2 @ TCF Stadium, "Pride (In the Name of Love)"‬‏ - YouTube

And while he did use this guitar for Pride he was back to the 1968 tobacco Stratocaster for "Sunday Bloody Sunday" (MN)

‪U2 (1080HD) - Sunday Bloody Sunday - Minneapolis - 2011-07-23 - TCF Bank Stadium - 360 Tour‬‏ - YouTube

Fen-Stratocaster-1964-natural-Elevation_tour-1-1.jpg

He tried the one and then changed¿ Or Dallas gave him the natural strat?

I don't know. I wasn't at that show. Edge used it the whole song, if that is what you are asking.

I just know EdgeFest sent me this picture and I looked up some video. (Big ol' Shout Out to EdgeFest!)

From all I have seen thus far, it looks to be the "Stuck..." Strat. But I will need to see some more pictures.

Whatever the case, it seems to be an 'isolated incident' as he was back to the 1968 tobacco Strat for the next show in Pittsburgh.

Perhaps Dallas had trouble with the sunburst strat and this one was used as a backup, so Edge could play Pride while Dallas fixed the other strat? :hmm:

He did, but if both his other strats are in a very bad condition he might not have a choice.

Just look at the sick amount of rain!

But I thought Edge promised Dallas never to bring that guitar on tour again. :hmm: They have played "Stuck" full band version during the rock and roll hall of fame show.

No. Edge promised Dallas that he would never take it out on tour to BEGIN with. But as that Strat was THE sound of "Stuck In A Moment...", Edge insisted that they take it on tour.

I hope to find some more (bigger / hi-res) pictures to verify for certain if that is THAT guitar. The rain will make that an issue. And many I know that were at that show had their cameras die after prolonged exposure to rain. :sad:

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2009 show, Edge used his Gibson Explorer.

‪Mick Jagger & U2 - 'Stuck in a Moment' Hall of Fame 2009‬‏ - YouTube

He's used the Explorer for "Stuck In A Moment..." at least one time before; as he used it for "Stuck..." Oct 29th, 2001 at the David Letterman Show

‪U2-Stuck In A Moment‬‏ - YouTube

Funny... Letterman must like "Stuck In A Moment..." as U2 have played it on his show a few times.

Recently:
‪U2's Bono & The Edge Perform "Stuck In a Moment" on David Letterman‬‏ - YouTube

i don't understand. Edgepromised to Dallas that he'll never use this Strat on tour?¿ wHY?

Because it is a 1959, might have been pricey, certainly worth that much more now (10 years after 'Elevation' tour), it was used on the records...

It's the same reason they do not bring Edge's original 1976 Explorer on the road.

They don't want those guitars to get fecked up on a tour.

I was geeking the hell out when I saw it... I knew you guys would be all over it. I took my camera out in the pouring rain to risk it to take a picture as I clearly realized what a big deal it was....

Thank you for taking the photo and sharing it. Looking at the larger version... I certainly look like the "Stuck In A Moment..." Stratocater.

Great to see it on stage after a 10 year absence. Odd that it's sighting would be accompanied by such a rain storm!

You can imagine the :madwife: voice in Dallas' head during the show: "SEE, THIS is why I didn't want to take it on the tour!!!!"

10 years not... in 2006 he used that guitar for the electric ver of stuck in a moment in australia or somewhere near

"10 years not" :lol:

U2 did play "Stuck In A Moment..." (full band electric version) at:
  • November 11, 2006: Sydney, Australia at Telstra Stadium
  • November 16, 2006: Adelaide, Australia at AAMI Stadium
  • November 18, 2006: Melbourne, Australia at Telstra Dome

But I have not seen decent enough video to tell what guitar was used. Could be the "Stuck Strat".

And that said, maybe it wasn't 10 years. Perhaps, it's been 5 years. Either way, the guitar is not used much. And it is surprising that it was brought out in the rain.

an d maybe dallas had not the strings of the other guitar ready....

I find that unlikely. Dallas is very good at his job. I can't imagine he just couldn't get a guitar ready in time.

no no.... in the vertigo tour. 2006-11-18 - Melbourne, Australia - Telstra Dome (1A). in this concert he used the Stratocaster.

As I said, It may be a Strat but was it that Strat? It's possible. I've never said that it wasn't. But thus far, I've not seen evidence of it.

You have video or photo?

Galeongirl said:
But that photo is NOT from 2006. It's from the 360 tour. 2010 most likely.

It's from Minneapolis in 2011.

I'm assuming all the backups were used at that concert because of all the rain.

Ah right, I was thinking the 2010 downpours of Helsinki, Brussels, Athens and Zagreb. Though I didn't recall seeing photos of different instruments there.

:hmm: Must've been tough on all the guitars and other gear with such heavy rain. Never seen anything like Minny!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom