Reserved seating "etiquette"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OceanGirl

The Fly
Hi guys,

I'm wondering what the "etiquette" it is when it comes to reserved seating and dancing???

I have been to a few concerts (none were U2) where I have got reserved seating because I am so short and like to be able to SEE! I have found that barely anyone around me gets up and dances! I really want to get up and dance, but feel like I am going to get yelled at by everyone behind me! Although, I have to admit that sometimes I have no choice - I HAVE to get up and dance for some songs!

So, what do you do? What is the "right" thing to do? Should people be able to stand up and dance when they have reserved seating? Or do you think if you have reserved seating you should respect everyone behind you and stay seated for the whole show???

OceanGirl said:
Hi guys,

I'm wondering what the "etiquette" it is when it comes to reserved seating and dancing???

I have been to a few concerts (none were U2) where I have got reserved seating because I am so short and like to be able to SEE! I have found that barely anyone around me gets up and dances! I really want to get up and dance, but feel like I am going to get yelled at by everyone behind me! Although, I have to admit that sometimes I have no choice - I HAVE to get up and dance for some songs!

So, what do you do? What is the "right" thing to do? Should people be able to stand up and dance when they have reserved seating? Or do you think if you have reserved seating you should respect everyone behind you and stay seated for the whole show???
I've been to a number of concerts where I wanted to stand up, and most everyone else wanted to sit down. I'd say it really varies from show to show, depending on what type of concert it is, how expensive the tickets were, etc.

For a U2 show, I OFFICIALLY DECLARE that it's perfectly acceptable if you want to stand up and dance for the entire show! Go for it. If you're short, you won't even be bothering people that much. Usually, there will be a few people behind you who will follow your lead, and happily stand up too. That always makes it feel more welcome and accepted.

I stand up no matter what - I paid for my ticket, and if I want to enjoy myself and standing up lends itself to my enjoyment, so be it.

One time I was seeing The (21st Century) Doors at Universal Amphitheater, and unfortunately I was upstairs in the balcony. Everyone around me were sitting/snoozing. I couldn't believe it. This was one of the early shows of the 'reunion'. I stood the whole frickin time and applauded loudly as well. Screw the party poopers. It's a frickin' CONCERT!

:dance:

I wouldn't remain seated. Besides, you said you're short so those who don't want to stand can just sit up straight :wink:

I'm not sure how anyone can not stand up. It's not like you're sitting at home watching the television -- you're at a U2 concert, let the music move you to your feet :dancing:

It's a rock concert, not a movie.

Australians do not seem to understand this. The crowd of barely animated corpses just about ruined my Finn Brothers concert in Brisbane last year. Thank goodness the Finns are almost as good as U2 live.

I'd feel embarrased just sitting there to be honest.

That's why I much prefer standing GA. Thank god none of the concerts Ive been to have been all seater.

Anyone know how the audiences are in New Zealand? I really hope I'm not traveling thousands of miles to attends shows where I'll be surrounded by the living dead.

ramblin rose said:
Anyone know how the audiences are in New Zealand? I really hope I'm not traveling thousands of miles to attends shows where I'll be surrounded by the living dead.

I'm so envious - I want to go to NZ & OZ this time of year - not to mention U2 will be there as well....lucky you :madspit:

:wink:

Last edited:
I was worried about this before my last show in Atl, I had seats for the first time. (And I'm tall. :p ) Luckily everyone around/behind me stood up and danced for pretty much the entire show, it was great. :D

ramblin rose said:

From my experience audiences here in NZ, if they're in the seats, do indeed get up and dance. Not all of the time, but they do get up! :yes:.

martha said:
I always stand and dance when I have seats, which is every show. Screw 'em if they want to sit down. They should go to a boring concert then.

Perfect! :up: :up:

There's no way i could sit at a U2 concert, if the music doesn't move you to get up then why are you there!?!

ramblin rose said:

My entire Kiwi family refuses to go to concerts here in Australia because they are used to people standing up and dancing in New Zealand and cannot tolerate crowds that sit down.

Axver said:

My entire Kiwi family refuses to go to concerts here in Australia because they are used to people standing up and dancing in New Zealand and cannot tolerate crowds that sit down.

Great. Thanks for the response.:up:

I guess it depends on the show. U2 - get up and dance. Backstreet Boys - dance like a loon - no one will care. Santana - shuffle and try not to look bored. Rob Thomas - head for the exit. Pavarotti - maybe stay seated... play it by ear. But my rule of thumb is - if my feet and legs say its dancing time, sorry everyone around me - its boogie down time!

At Dublin 1 last summer, I was in a seating area. Whenever U2 arrived on stage, everyone that I could see stood up and started dancing, and continued to do so for the entire duration of the show. It's damn near impossible to remain seated for a U2 show.

Axver said:
It's a rock concert, not a movie.

Australians do not seem to understand this. The crowd of barely animated corpses just about ruined my Finn Brothers concert in Brisbane last year. Thank goodness the Finns are almost as good as U2 live.

EXCUUUUSE ME!...........:eyebrow:

fly so high! said:

EXCUUUUSE ME!...........:eyebrow:

In 8.5 years of living in Australia (longer for some), every single member of my family has had solely poor experiences with Australian crowds, especially in Queensland. The most extreme example of this is when my mother went to stand at a concert, and before she was even fully on her feet, the Australian woman behind her had physically pulled Mum back into her seat.

And as I said, the audience at last year's Finn Brothers concert in Brisbane consisted of barely animated corpses. I went up the back and danced in the empty back row, while in front of me, everyone appeared to either 1. be watching a movie or 2. residents of a morgue.

I've been to approx. 10 concerts in "my lifetime in Australia" and in my experience i have NEVER encountered concerts where people appear not to be enjoying themselves!

Having said that, obviously you and your family has. But keep in mind as a fellow Aussie and i know countless many others if anyone had touched me in the manner that your mother experienced the woman in question would be PROMPTLY reminded if she does remove one's self from one's body she will find one's fist in one's mouth!

Try not to generalise please, that comment kinda hurt:sad:........since i now suffer Tinnitus from......Lets see!.......INXS,Guns"n"Roses,U2......oh!......lets not forget Big Day Outs!!!!!

OceanGirl said:
Hi guys,

There aren’t many U2 songs frankly that have a danceable beat but I stood at the shows when I had reserved seats because the peeps in front of me usually were up blocking my view. The folks behind me probably had to stand up too because in socks I’m 6’6 so I often sit during the slower songs to not only take a break but to give those behind me an unobstructed view. Don’t worry you’ll know which songs to stand up and which ones will be okay to sit down. Just don’t slam dance, whistle, or turn into a screamer. :wink:

Hi All:

Thought I'd chirp in and offer a differing opinion. First of all let me say that I've been going to concerts (USA) since 1971. Saw Steven Stills at the old Boston Garden for $4.50. Seen U2 six times, and have seen in the last year or so: Rolling Stones, Prince, Ryan Adams, Bon Jovi, Sheryl Crow and will be seeing her again next month. I'm a very young 51 and enjoy not acting my age.

I seem to get the feeling from this topic that a lot of folks believe that because they paid "x" amount for a ticket, F*** everyone else, more specifically: those behind them. While I certainly understand your right to have a great time at the show. Have a bit of respect for the folks who are behind you. If you absolutely must stand up and dance, perhaps you should get tickets in the SRO areas. There's a reason there are seats in the venue that the band is playing. While I don't expect the folks to be sitting all the time who are in front of me, I hope that they are not standing and blocking my view. As my wife is only 5'1" tall, I do try to get tickets in the suite or Corporate seating areas. Even when she stands, she often has a hard time seeing over the person standing/dancing in front of her.

My Corvette can go 145MPH, but that does not mean that I should drive it that fast, although I paid for a car that can do so. You paid for your ticket, enjoy the hell out of the show, but please show a bit of class and be mindful of the folks that are sitting behind you.

Hobie in USA

NHHobie said:
Hi All:

Thought I'd chirp in and offer a differing opinion. First of all let me say that I've been going to concerts (USA) since 1971. Saw Steven Stills at the old Boston Garden for $4.50. Seen U2 six times, and have seen in the last year or so: Rolling Stones, Prince, Ryan Adams, Bon Jovi, Sheryl Crow and will be seeing her again next month. I'm a very young 51 and enjoy not acting my age.

I seem to get the feeling from this topic that a lot of folks believe that because they paid "x" amount for a ticket, F*** everyone else, more specifically: those behind them. While I certainly understand your right to have a great time at the show. Have a bit of respect for the folks who are behind you. If you absolutely must stand up and dance, perhaps you should get tickets in the SRO areas. There's a reason there are seats in the venue that the band is playing. While I don't expect the folks to be sitting all the time who are in front of me, I hope that they are not standing and blocking my view. As my wife is only 5'1" tall, I do try to get tickets in the suite or Corporate seating areas. Even when she stands, she often has a hard time seeing over the person standing/dancing in front of her.

My Corvette can go 145MPH, but that does not mean that I should drive it that fast, although I paid for a car that can do so. You paid for your ticket, enjoy the hell out of the show, but please show a bit of class and be mindful of the folks that are sitting behind you.

Hobie in USA

Excellent post. I understand someone desire to stand, but SOMETIMES you can give it a rest. Maybe the one slow song, where EVERYONE else is sitting, you can contain your "dance moves" for the rest of the crowd.

Along with feeling the need to scream every 10 seconds like an idiot as well.

Axver said:

In 8.5 years of living in Australia (longer for some), every single member of my family has had solely poor experiences with Australian crowds, especially in Queensland. The most extreme example of this is when my mother went to stand at a concert, and before she was even fully on her feet, the Australian woman behind her had physically pulled Mum back into her seat.

And as I said, the audience at last year's Finn Brothers concert in Brisbane consisted of barely animated corpses. I went up the back and danced in the empty back row, while in front of me, everyone appeared to either 1. be watching a movie or 2. residents of a morgue.

Exactly Axver - I've never seen such a boring bunch of bastards at a rock show. Everyone I've been too in an arena over the last 4 years it's been the same. At Motley Crue in Brisbane, two guys were threatening to beat the shit out of one bloke and the two girls he was with because they were stood up enjoying themselves. Not cool. You're at a rock show for fucks sake, not a movie theatre.....or a boxing ring.

In fact it was the one complaint both Motley Crue had and Dave Grohl when they were here touring. They couldn't understand why people had paid to sit down to watch their show. Dave Grohl. the nice guy of rock, referred to the difference between Australian audiences and European Audiences (specifically English) as chalk and cheese. He meant that the entire european audience goes nuts, where as here, the standing section have a great time and the seating section is full of mannequins!

Seats do not belong at a rock show. Plain and simple. Get up and dance if you're in the seating section and remind people who complain at you, where they are, and if they wanted to sit down and listen to U2, why didn't they just stay at home and stick the CD's on.

neilm said:

Seats do not belong at a rock show. Plain and simple. Get up and dance if you're in the seating section and remind people who complain at you, where they are, and if they wanted to sit down and listen to U2, why didn't they just stay at home and stick the CD's on.

Hey Neil: Just don't sit in the seating section. Find a ticket in the SRO section. Their usually cheaper $$$ also.

This "fuck everyone else" attitude is really lame. I do trust you have a bit more class than that. Hey you dig U2 and Motley right?

In the old days, my own behavior was not all that great. Included in my antics was fighting, puking on others, countless amounts of spilled beverage showers etc. etc. Hey lots of people acted the same silly way. No big deal right. Hey it's a Rock Concert.

Luckily age has given me a bit of perspective on things in life. And perhaps you will learn (earlier in life) that a bit of class will serve you a lot further than acting like a selfish jack ass. I finally woke up.

As I posted earlier, enjoy the hell out of the show. But show a bit of consideration for your fellow concert goers.

And if everyone is standing throughout the show. STAND UP and don't miss a frigging song.

Regards,

Hobie

I had a seat for one of the shows I went to in the fall, but I was on my feet the whole time the band was on the stage. I was at the end of an aisle, and the people in my section and the one beside me looked half-dead. Half of them were just staring sort of blankly at the stage. It was pathetic. No one seemed to care that I was standing the whole time, though.

Frankly, I think people who try to have entire cell phone conversations in the middle of the show ("WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU. DUDE, I'M AT A U2 CONCERT!") or spend more time making beer runs than watching the show are far more annoying than someone standing up and having a great time.

It wouldnt surprise me one little bit if people in the stands sit down at the Austrlian shows.

I was at REM and The Stones and it was terrible! People stand up when the band hit the stage, then you see them looking around hoping that other people sit down so they can too! Then, when all their energy is gone after 5 or 6 songs, they sit anyway. They MAY rise again when a hit so is played.

Young crowds here are fine, but Aussies seem to lose their pulse when they get over the age of 30!

Its just a joke. It reminds me of the Simpsons when U2 played and Otto asks people to sit down 'cos its ruining the show! What a joke!

Axver said:

Het Axver!
I think i know what the problem is, it must be Queensland shows ONLY, seriously check it out! The aussies that are also agreeing with you are from Queensland too!:laugh:

I swear it,on my grandmothers grave i have not been to a concert where people looked like the half-dead( in Sydney!)!!!

I have to say i once went to a Fleetwood Mac concert we were in a seating area and ( myself and hubby were dancing and yelling out! and we were not the only ones either!) not one person told us to shutup or anything!!!!

Oh shit........I just remembered Andrew's post! (Oh...well:shrug: )

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom