Record Store Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks a bunch, DB. Very kind of you. :up: I'll PM you our address all that jazz at some ungodly hour when I finally get home tonight.

We loaned a bunch of money yesterday so we were broke, but we're literally taking a small loan out today so we can get drunk and buy lots of records so it evens out.

Got a pretty decent haul this year. I grabbed the Eno/Jarr/Grizzly Bear record, Pulp x Soulwax, the Black Keys/Stooges "No Fun", a Dum Dum Girls single and the Sharon Van Etten/Sheerwater collaboration.

Got Foals and Tame Impala

This bag is hot.

20130420_132014_zpsbe027aef.jpg

If they're auctioning them to the highest bidder, Imps, that's bullshit. I would report them to the RSD Gestapo.

They numbered us off (I was 41), and the guy would call out each item individually and say how many copies they had. Then he'd let people call out their numbers. It was weird. Waterloo's free for all is a huge clusterfuck too, but I kind of prefer it to this system. But this was the only RSD I've ever been out of town, so I had to make due.

Selection at this particular store was kind of weak. No Chelsea Wolfe/King Dude collab bummed me out. I got Elephant and the Stars are Out Tonight/Where Are We Now 7".

I would suggest scouring around fort Worth later if you have time, Imps. Last record store day I attended there was a ghost town compared to big cities.

Final haul for me...

R.E.M. Live in Greensboro CD
Tame Impala EP
Brian Eno / Nicolas Jaar / Grizzly Bear 12"
Black Lips / Icky Blossoms split 7"
Shearwater / Sharon Van Etten split 7"
The Thermals - Desperate Ground Demos 7"
MGMT Alien Days cassette single
Last Shop Standing DVD

I also got a bag full of freebies including 6 sampler CDs, a sampler LP, a 7" with two drinking songs, a tin of Jimi Hendrix 70th birthday mints, and a Jack White official ambassador pin. The Sub Pop "Silver Ticket" sampler is easily the best of the bunch.

And of course I picked up GZA for Cobbler and Blue Sunshine for Ashley.

The shop was playing Zaireeka when they opened the doors, and I thought several people were going to go crazy during "How Will We Know." That dog whistle tone is actually physically painful.

I could have grabbed a copy of Zaireeka, but like Cobbler I didn't want to pay $70 for something I would never be able to listen to. I even asked one guy who was buying it if he owns 4 turntables, which he doesn't. They were all gone by the time I checked out. I listened to my stereo mix on CD on the way home. :D

EDIT: Oh, and I got the same bag as Ashley. It's cool but I think the vinyl fumes may be causing brain damage.

P.S. Cobbler, I accept but only if we can honeymoon in Thailand.

I would suggest scouring around fort Worth later if you have time, Imps. Last record store day I attended there was a ghost town compared to big cities.

Heard Doc's was cleaned out, and I've gotta head to the botanical gardens for the wedding pretty quick here. I'm sure the shit I missed will turn up on the cheap anyway.

Store I went to was Forever Young in GP, if you're familiar.

For those who got the Eno x Jaar x Grizz 12", how much was it? I reneged cos it was $20.

I want to say it was $12.99 here, but I'll have to check when I'm back home to be sure. I haven't opened it yet to see if there is a download code, but I think everything else I bought came with one.

Acadie was the one I balked on. $48, WTF?

Heard Doc's was cleaned out, and I've gotta head to the botanical gardens for the wedding pretty quick here. I'm sure the shit I missed will turn up on the cheap anyway.

Store I went to was Forever Young in GP, if you're familiar.

I don't know if they still do, but there is a Movie Trading Company in Fort Worth that participated, and they had tons of stuff that was sold out in bigger cities well into the evening.

Much as I love the atmosphere of RSD in Chicago, next year in going to see what the lookout is like in South Bend.

Forever Young. That makes a lot of sense. I don't care much for that record store. The staff kind of act pretty full of themselves. Always gave me the evil eye for some reason, and weren't real personable. I'm not surprised they decided to use such a wonderful system.

That GZA thing comes with instrumental LPs, by the way. I'm gonna be rapping Swordsman in my lounge room like an absolute boss.

I'm not caught in politics, I'm no black activist on a so-called scholar's dick

Or 4th Chamber.

Camouflage chameleon / ninjas scaling your building / no time to grab your gun they already got your wife and children

WHEN THE MCS CAME TO LIVE OUT THEIR NAME

Or 4th Chamber.

Camouflage chameleon / ninjas scaling your building / no time to grab your gun they already got your wife and children
This guy knows what's up.

What's great is that Rza's verse gets more batshit insane from there.

Here's the shit I picked up

Sharon Van Etten 7"
Shearwater/Sharon Van Etten split
Garbage 10"
Deftones Live LP
Richard Pryor album for $3 just 'cuz

Got cockblocked on

Biggie - Ready to Die reissue
Poltergeist OST (don't ask, I just really wanted this)

Spent about 3 hours + just waitin' around but it was worth it 'cuz I got a pack of these bad boys as a door prize.

Seems like the crowds were definitely up here this year. I whiffed on a lot of stuff, but experience tells me that it'll be on ebay for near list price in a short time. BTW, Zaireeka was $99 here. I always suspected that shop gouged on the RSD material.

I got the Big Star double lp and Destroyer's This Night. I also picked up Microcastle on vinyl, which I'm hoping I can get signed this week when Deerhunter plays Oxford.

:D

It's actually the only RSD material that wasn't picked over when I got in, and I didn't want to leave empty handed. For some reason, people weren't snapping it up, and several were available. Costing $38 probably had something to do with it. I balked but came back later and picked it up.

Back
Top Bottom