Reading Is Sexy: Books Part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's pretty chilling, but just so wonderfully written. I loved it in high school when I read it for a class, and then loved it when I revisited it a few years back after the first Capote movie had come out.

BaT is great, but be prepared to cringe and be appalled by Mickey Rooney's character. And then laugh at the ending as you compare it to the book's! I do love it despite those things.

Home invasion is pretty much the most terrifying thing I can think of. I don't think I would ever sleep again if I read it. It would be just like when I read Over the Edge: Death in Grand Canyon before visiting Grand Canyon and then was scared to get out of my car.

That's one of my favorite books, though, by the way.

It's funny...I didn't really read many children's books. I know that I read whatever existed in the way of Babar the Elephant books/stories and I have fond memories of that.....and I'm sure I read a few other books in the children's category, of course, but my most vivid memories of reading as a kid revolve around books like The Three Musketeers, Robinson Crusoe, The Swiss Family Robinson and books of that ilk.

I absolutely adored The Three Musketeers books when I was a teenager :love: When I read the last book in the series (where most of the characters die), I spent the entire night sobbing into my pillow and couldn't bring myself to re-read that book for a very long time. It's funny how emotionally attached you can get to the fictional characters sometimes.

I'm halfway through this.

I don't care for his writing style so I might not finish it.

I like American Psycho and Rules of Attraction, but Less Than Zero was a waste of time, and as for his latest one, can't even remember the name, (it's mock-semi autobiographical) is absolutely awful.

It's funny how emotionally attached you can get to the fictional characters sometimes.

Ha, that's why I love fanfictions and series novels. I like reading something where I don't have to re-invent the characters in my imagination.

I just finished The Paris Vendetta by Steve Berry.

Interesting plot. Not too many twists and turns, and they could have made the protagonist a little bit more interesting, but apparently Steve Berry has a whole series for this Cotton Malone character, and maybe he's already a bit aged in this one. Still plenty of action though. The ending made me a bit :grumpy: and :sad:

Moving Millions: How Coyote Capitalism Fuels Global Immigration by Jeffrey Kaye.

Eh, it was OK. It didn't teach me anything that I already knew.

Back to fiction with Stealing Athena by Karen Essex. Its the first time I'm reading a book by her, so I'm hoping for the best.

I'm halfway reading First Daughter by Eric van Lustbader and I'm already feeling :mad:.

What a waste of great plot. I was suckered into buying it because the outline sounded great.
"When a terrible accident takes the life of his only daughter, Emma, and his marriage falls apart, Jack McClure blames himself, numbing the pain by submerging himself in work. Then he receives a call from his old friend, Edward Carson. Carson is just weeks from taking the reins as POTUS when his daughter, Alli, is kidnapped. Because Emma McClure was once Alli’s best friend, Carson turns to Jack, the one man he can trust to go to any lengths to find his daughter and bring her home safely. "

But the writing just makes me cringe, because I'm waiting for the angst, waiting for the angst... and it never came! Ugh. It's like I was fed sentence after sentence of how Jack McClure's (the main character) life is filled with one sob story after another, but there's no feeling behind the writing. It was just stated facts. Well, I'm waiting for my heart to be ripped out here... :waiting:

After the first 100 pages, I lost count on how many scenes and characters are forcing the notion of God and religion onto the main character (and the readers). :doh: Once or twice is enough, but it's becoming too much of a repetition. I shouldn't have bought this, even when it's on sale at B&N. I wonder if I can return it.

Columbine by Dave Cullen

Devastating, but eye-opening to the motives and the horrible cover-ups by the local law enforcement, and the incorrect information perpetuated throughout the media.

Really hard to read - I cried several times, but I would recomment it to anyone who has even a passing interest in the tragedy. Extremely well-researched and well-written.

How is it so far? I'm friends with her on Facebook, but I've never read any of her books.

I just started it. I'm about 30 pages into it, so I really can't make any judgment yet. I'll send you a PM when things get bad or good.

Soooooo I just read Scott Anderson's Triage, he used to be a war correspondent, so it certainly has that authenticity, but it has to be the most fluidly written book I've read in recent memory by a former reporter, the prose is astounding, whereas often with journalists turned novelists you might get a great plot, but not so much on the prose. Anyway, it is about coming to grips with the immediate and long dormant stress on the periphery witnesses of war, a war photographer and a former PTSD psychologist. It got adapted into a long shelved film with Colin Farrell and Christopher Lee which I think finally got released last week on DVD, but I highly recommend the book.

I read Wild Swans by Jung Chang a couple of weeks ago whilst I was travelling through China, as I'd hoped it would provide me with an interesting cultural and political insight into 20th century China. I really enjoyed it because on the one hand the prose was both rich and entirely consuming and yet aspects of the violence and the horror are retold with such clinical detachment that it made me double take and re-read paragraphs. I think that at its heart the story is a great tragedy, it was described by JG Ballard as "an unforgettable portrait of the brain-death of a nation" but I found it absolutely mesmerising, a beautiful read. Definitely recommended.

Just coming in hear to say that I never read but I do love Harry Potter. I've read each book at least five times and I'm still not tired of them. I just can't find another book that I like as much. I get bored pretty easily.

I just ordered #7 in the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon; it's come out in paperback and I got it used on Amazon for a STEAL!!! An Echo in the Bone. Can't wait to read it, I've loved this series by this author.

I think I waited too long to read even the second. I loved the first book a lot more than I was expecting, and that was probably 6 years ago. I only recently started the second book in the series, after having to go online to refresh my memory of the plot of the first book, and I got 100 pages in before I realized I was already skimming and gave up.

Oops. Should have struck while the iron was hot. :lol:

Maybe I'm lucky as a good friend of mine (we've traded books since we were kids) gave me all 6 in the series at the same time so I started with Outlander and poured thru them. Some were long-winded and very thick books but I finished them all. I was so happy when we heard there was going to be a 7th but I hate paying such ridiculous prices for a hardbound book when they are first released so I thought I'd wait. I got the paperback used for $4.07!! I just hope it's better than #6 which was my least favorite. My favorite is the first book.

I read two books while I was in Europe.

Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali. I knew much about the content so it wasn't surprising but it was still a good read. I loved her descriptions of Somalia, both urban and rural, and Africa in general, especially the social aspects that I'd never experience as a tourist or a foreigner.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. The writing style is pretty simple and doesn't make for great literature but I thought the story was pretty compelling (if somewhat predictable). How are the other two books in the trilogy? Worth buying? I still have some time off work so I'm itching to read more.

Case Histories by Kate Atkinson

Quite liked it. I'd read Behind the Scenes at the Museum ages ago, and finally got around to checking this one out.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. The writing style is pretty simple and doesn't make for great literature but I thought the story was pretty compelling (if somewhat predictable). How are the other two books in the trilogy? Worth buying? I still have some time off work so I'm itching to read more.

I always cringe when you go on vacation, who knows how much you'll let your guard down in a literary sense. :)

My own opinion is that the 2nd book was a bit of a disaster with a comical last 50 pages or so. The 3rd book is not as good as the 1st, but better than the 2nd. But, a lot of people seem to like the 2nd book so you might too. I just thought it had the simple writing but without the compelling story.

I always cringe when you go on vacation, who knows how much you'll let your guard down in a literary sense. :)

Ahaha, with good reason!

I picked up the 2nd book today so I'll let you know what I think once I finish it.

Secret Daughter by Shilpi S. Gowda.

(I actually started reading the 2nd Dragon Tattoo book but after 100 pages wasn't loving it so I took a break).

Really enjoyed this one. I found some of it very predictable, but other parts were lovely. It's a story about a woman who gives up a baby to an orphanage in India because she is a girl, and that baby subsequently gets adopted by an American couple (the husband is Indian, the wife is white). It's the story of the two families and the girl's eventual return to India to work as a journalist. All in all, an enjoyable read.

My own opinion is that the 2nd book was a bit of a disaster with a comical last 50 pages or so. The 3rd book is not as good as the 1st, but better than the 2nd. But, a lot of people seem to like the 2nd book so you might too. I just thought it had the simple writing but without the compelling story.

Agreed, I quite liked the 3rd one, but like NSW said, the series never gets back to the level of the first one. That said, I was enjoying part 2 before the zany conclusion.

Finished two more testosterone-laden, gun-toting, action-filled novels. Soooo good... :combust:

Extreme Measures by Vince Flynn. This book just drew me in from the start. I like that. The plot built up, the pace was adequately fast, and there were some funny, sarcastic lines that made me laugh out loud. Mr. Flynn's equivalent of Jack Ryan is called Mitch Rapp. He's this tough senior CIA operative who pretty much doesn't have anything to lose, doesn't have anyone to come home to anymore, and so his life is dedicated to his missions, which makes him fearless and excel in his job. There's a second main character in this book, Mike Nash, who is also another senior CIA operative, ranked just one level below Rapp. And the contrast between them is staggering. Nash has a young family, a wife and four kids. And the depiction of him juggling his home life and the intense missions is refreshing to read. It makes me smile just to think of a CIA operative who drives around DC in a minivan with a car seat in the back. I think Flynn did a good job building the characters and laying out the plot.
The one thing I was disappointed at was the ending. Because it wasn't really an ending, but it was a lead-in to his next book, Pursuit of Honor. It's like he just cut a big book in the middle and make it into 2 books...

The second one is The Lions of Lucerne by Brad Thor. This was my first e-book purchase since I figured out that Barnes & Noble nook is available as an application on PC and Blackberry. You don't even need the nook e-reader to read them.
Lions is the third Thor book I've read, but this is actually his first book. And so far I think this is his best one. Great plot, plenty of suspense, and the build-up started from the first page. I couldn't put it down, and managed to finish it in 2 days, with only a couple of pages skipped where one of the shootout scenes was just too long for my taste.

Now I need something with a bit more estrogen and angst for a break.

:sigh:

I'm done with The Chronicles of Barsetshire: The Small House at Allington and The Last Chronicle of Barset are the last two novels in the series. Anthony Trollope is a master of character, and these last two Barsetshire books are wonderful. Sure they're 1500+ pages when put together, but they are beautifully written.

Now I think I may start working my way through Angela Thirkell's Barsetshire books. She uses the same families and locations, with a few new ones of each worked into the stories. Her characters are the grandchildren and great-grandchildren of Trollope's characters. I've read most of her Barsetshire books, but now I want to read them in order. (Fortunately, they're not as long as dear Anthony's books.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom