Reading Is Sexy: Books Part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He also has a great children's book The Thief of Always. Imajica is his likely masterpiece, but I'm not sure if it's the best entry point.

Since my public (fucking sucks at everything) library only has these two of the ones you've mentioned, I guess I'll check The Thief out.

They've also got a collection of "The Essential..." so if that looks promising I'll grab that as well.

And I promise, NSW, that I will pick back up Endymion. It was taken back to the library without my knowing and this is the first I've been back to get it since.

I've kinda been on an adolescent lit. kick as of late; not something I normally read, but there are some really great stuff out there.

In the past month I've read The Watsons Go to Birmingham, The Giver, Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry, Make Lemonade, Homecoming (the only blemish on an otherwise string of knockouts), and, perhaps the greatest surprise, Orson Scott Card's, Ender's Game.

Now I mentioned how I don't normally read adolescent literature, but I most certainly don't dive into science-fiction - completely not my cup of tea. Of what I have read in that genre, I find it very hard to wrap my head around the constraints of the world that the author has conjured up (don't even get me started on fantasy, though... it takes the improbability of a sci-fi setting and turns it into an impossibility). But I digress... Ender's Game is fantastic. Card has so many themes running up and down the pages, and his prose never gets in the way of his solid storytelling. The pacing is absolutely pitch-perfect, too. Also, I had to double-check the date of the book's publication a few times. The "net?" A "desk" (a.k.a. laptop/ iPad)? Socially relevant issues pertaining to conservative propaganda and the Patriot Act? I was impressed...

But yeah, I've definitely carried on a bit too long. I need to get back to my studies... :eek:

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz

Wow, I really enjoyed this. There were a few parts that felt a bit more sloggish than the rest, but overall it was very, very good.

Homecoming is a pleasant enough read about siblings, a young foursome of little, lost souls, attempting to make their way home. The writing is adept, and there are always new challenges for the children to hurdle. My predominant complaint with the novel, though, is the disparate set of ideas ensconced within the author's (Cynthia Voigt) narrative.

The story begins with a particularly grim opening for any adolescent - coping with abandonment – whereby a certain level of expectation is made. In order to adequately address these feelings of loneliness and desperation, there should be genuine moments of concern that the author creates. But I never felt, other than the beginning few chapters, that the author took her subject matter seriously. Rather than an emotional novel concentrating on neglected youths, we’re instead given a slightly gritty fairytale.

This contrast in ideas first shows up when (minor spoiler): Dicey escapes the mall security guard with relative ease; not terribly significant, but it sets an early precedent that snowballs into increasingly unlikely scenarios: the kids run low on money, hinting at starvation, but “teach a man to fish” and suddenly it’s not much of an issue anymore; all alone in a world that’s become increasingly difficult to trust others, but fortunately the children can “always depend on the kindness of strangers” (a.k.a. deus ex machine – on three separate occasions, mind you. Even (minor spoiler) a debilitating learning disability, one that is subtly hinted at throughout the course of the novel, is resolved flippantly.

What I found most peculiar of all, however, is Dicey’s continual rumination on the sea and “exploring.” The entirety of the story, the novel’s backbone, hinders on Dicey and her siblings’ “homecoming.” Yet every time the young girl is surrounded by four walls and a roof, she dreams of sailing away. This curious juxtaposition only furthers the novel’s ambiguity, a thematic coherence I’m not sure even Cynthia Voigt can decipher.

I just finished Christine by Stephen King (yeah, yeah, I know I said I was done with him for a while, but...)

Anyways, by about the mid-point of the book I wanted to finish it just so I could watch the movie and see how badly they could fuck this up. The book had its flaws, but for the most part it's one of my favorite King books. The film, from about the 30 second mark stripped the story of everything that was good and clever about it. /sigh, not sure if I can even finish watching it.

Anyways, this is the book thread :lol:. Very very good book, I loved it. It was over-long and by the end he had started to lapse into some of the gimmicks that would be far too prevalent in his other books, but mostly great.

The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafón.

What a wonderful, delightful read. I'd easily recommend it to anyone who loves books, because it's a book about books and a book about a specific book. It's a thriller and a love story and a political commentary on Franco's Spain and a giant love letter to the beautiful city of Barcelona which I carry near and dear to my heart.

Books are awesome.

That is all.

There is a super awesome passage in the first chapter that goes:

Once, in my father's bookshop, I heard a regular customer say that few things leave a deeper mark on a reader than the first book that finds its way into his heart. Those first images, the echo of words we think we have left behind, accompany us throughout our lives and sculpt a palace in our memory to which, sooner or later - no matter how many books we read, how many worlds we discover, or how much we learn or forget - we will return."

The Tender Bar by J.R. Moehringer

Oh, this was fantastic! Really funny, sometimes sad, memoir of the author's life growing up on Long Island, getting into (and through) Yale, wacky(ish) family and a bar that functioned as a kind of security blanket.

Really well-written, a fun read.

I just finished Christine by Stephen King (yeah, yeah, I know I said I was done with him for a while, but...)

Anyways, by about the mid-point of the book I wanted to finish it just so I could watch the movie and see how badly they could fuck this up. The book had its flaws, but for the most part it's one of my favorite King books. The film, from about the 30 second mark stripped the story of everything that was good and clever about it. /sigh, not sure if I can even finish watching it.

Anyways, this is the book thread :lol:. Very very good book, I loved it. It was over-long and by the end he had started to lapse into some of the gimmicks that would be far too prevalent in his other books, but mostly great.

I just ordered used copies of It and The Talisman.

After that, I think I'm done with King stuff I was interested in.

You gonna try any more Clive Barker?

So no interest in It?

And, remind me please, did you like, dislike, feel meh towards The Stand?

Fuck's sake, you're amateur.

Yes, I liked The Stand for the most part. He tends to overdo things, and most of his humor falls flat. I liked Hearts in Atlantis the most, because it was more restrained and truly moved me.

Overall I enjoyed Wizard and Glass and Wolves of the Calla more than The Stand, but they're only two volumes of a larger piece, and the other Dark Tower books were definitely lesser for me.

After that, I think I'm done with King stuff I was interested in.

You gonna try any more Clive Barker?

I thought you were referring to It meaning Christine, but reading other posts, I see you were referring to what I'm beginning to recognize as my favorite book.

Yes, I definitely want to read more of Barker. I'm finishing Endymion right now, but I've still got that "Essential" collection hanging around. The description of what's in it according to Amazon:
This 567-page sampler of Clive Barker's darkly fantastic work has an unusual format. You'd expect a huge collection of his macabre short stories (like the three 1984 Books of Blood that made his name in horror), or perhaps an omnibus of the sinisterly exotic novels in which he moved from Grand Guignol to his own warped brand of epic fantasy. Instead, here's a book of bits: 70-odd passages from novels and plays, plus four complete stories and an introduction in which our author offers glimpses of what makes him tick. The Essential Clive Barker is thematically arranged in 13 sections, each with its own brief prologue: "Doorways," "Journeys," "Visions and Dreams," "Lives," and so on. Some of these fragments are powerful and evocative, some numinous, some horrid; many are teasers to make you wonder what comes next. Reading this is like sitting through a movie-length feature composed entirely of trailers flaunting pyrotechnic effects. It's a volume for dipping into rather than swallowing whole. There are fine things here, especially the complete stories--including "In the Hills, the Cities," an unforgettable mix of surreal horror and Balkan political allegory. But aficionados will already own the books containing these excerpts, while newcomers surely prefer to begin with a complete novel or collection. A perfect present for the Barker fan who has everything else.

So I'm not sure if I can really find a way to break into that book in the casual way I'd planned to get some insight into his more adult work.

The other books my library has are Mister B. Gone, Days of Magic, Nights of War, Abarat (I'm assuming these are connected), Coldheart Canyon, Galilee: A Romance, The Inhuman Condition, Imajica (which I rememeber you saying is probably his best, but not a great entry point), Everville: The Second Book of the Art, Incarnations: Three Plays, Scarament, Form of Heaven: Three Plays

So if you have a suggestion from those, I'd take it.

I'd probably go with The Inhuman Condition, just because the short stories are probably a good entry point. Galilee and Sacrament are straight-up, non-genre fiction and Coldheart Canyon is not considered one of his better books. The "connected" ones you mentioned are part of a series of children's books.

After the short stories you'd probably be good to hit Imajica. I hadn't read much of his stuff before starting that either, and I loved it.

Marian Keys - Rachel's Holiday

Really enjoyed this book, would love to read more by the same author. I like the way she balances funny and serious without cheapening the subject matter. My only misgivings were that 1) the book was a tad too long and 2) it would have been better without the epilogue which was too rosy for my liking.

Homecoming is a pleasant enough read about siblings, a young foursome of little, lost souls, attempting to make their way home. The writing is adept, and there are always new challenges for the children to hurdle. My predominant complaint with the novel, though, is the disparate set of ideas ensconced within the author's (Cynthia Voigt) narrative.

The story begins with a particularly grim opening for any adolescent - coping with abandonment – whereby a certain level of expectation is made. In order to adequately address these feelings of loneliness and desperation, there should be genuine moments of concern that the author creates. But I never felt, other than the beginning few chapters, that the author took her subject matter seriously. Rather than an emotional novel concentrating on neglected youths, we’re instead given a slightly gritty fairytale.

This contrast in ideas first shows up when (minor spoiler): Dicey escapes the mall security guard with relative ease; not terribly significant, but it sets an early precedent that snowballs into increasingly unlikely scenarios: the kids run low on money, hinting at starvation, but “teach a man to fish” and suddenly it’s not much of an issue anymore; all alone in a world that’s become increasingly difficult to trust others, but fortunately the children can “always depend on the kindness of strangers” (a.k.a. deus ex machine – on three separate occasions, mind you. Even (minor spoiler) a debilitating learning disability, one that is subtly hinted at throughout the course of the novel, is resolved flippantly.

What I found most peculiar of all, however, is Dicey’s continual rumination on the sea and “exploring.” The entirety of the story, the novel’s backbone, hinders on Dicey and her siblings’ “homecoming.” Yet every time the young girl is surrounded by four walls and a roof, she dreams of sailing away. This curious juxtaposition only furthers the novel’s ambiguity, a thematic coherence I’m not sure even Cynthia Voigt can decipher.

Thanks, looks pretty interesting.

Now that I'm done with my quite satisfying whirlwind revisiting tour of Shakespeare (I think he's good to read in the fall), I am beginning my adventures with Raymond Chandler.

He was my Grandpa's favorite author, so I've heard about him from a young age. I have no idea why I'm only now getting started. I have a really old (but falling apart :() copy of The Big Sleep, which is the only one my Grandpa passed down to me.

I'm close to 60 pages in, and holy shit is this fun. Brilliantly written stuff. It makes me want to write a detective novel. Even though the resulting product would be terrible. Really excited that I'm finally getting into the Philip Marlowe shit, though. It's right up my alley.

Room, by Emma Donoghue.

The story is told by Jack, a five-year-old boy who was born in the tiny room his mother has been held captive in for seven years. She was kidnapped when she was nineteen. She made the decision to not tell Jack there's an outside world so she's the only person he knows other than the man who brings them food, removes their trash, and visits his mother at night while Jack hides in the wardrobe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom