Random Music Talk XLVII: 'tis (almost) the season to be jolly. But not "joyful".

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Whatever the Magic Carpet Ride song is (Super Bowl? Steppenwolf?) there was a bunch of Chevy songs that ruined it for me. Then they got Michael Bay and then Tim Allen.

When I was a kid, my first exposure to You Can't Always Get What You Want was through a Levis commercial

Holy shit, those Grammy nominations are the worst ever.

Honestly fucking floored that My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy didn't get an AOTY nom. Flabbergasted. Something's wrong with that. I remember making a post on here around the time of the 2011 Grammy telecast stating that I thought Kanye had AOTY at the 2012 Grammys locked up. I would have gone to Vegas and put money on it. I mean, what the fuck? This is a universally acclaimed opus by one of the biggest and most impactful musical artists (and cultural icons) of the last decade. I don't always love the guy, but this album not getting nominated is complete horseshit.

As for Tay, I'm slightly bummed that she didn't get the AOTY nom. And also surprised (though not as surprised as the Kanye snub). The girl writes an album that wins AOTY at your awards show...she goes out two years later and makes an unquestionably better and more accomplished album...and it doesn't get nominated for that same award? Something doesn't compute there either. But I guess this is all just more reason to not even give a shit about these particular awards. They make little to no logical sense. And, of course, there's all the behind doors politics that we don't really know anything about. Fuck it.

Melt With You is the one song that has been completely raped and pillaged by advertising campaigns for me. I can't imagine there ever being an ounce of life or joy behind that song. It's so good, but it bugs the shit out of me to hear it now because I've heard that melody covered so badly so many times in order to hawk everything under the sun. Really sad.

Never understood what bothered everyone about the Rock And Roll Cadillac commercial. People crank music and drive fast in their cars. Sometimes I crank Rock And Roll in my car and proceed to drive fast. :shrug:

Let England Shake not being nominated for best alternative album is complete horseshit. It already won the Mercury Prize, so it's not exactly subversive.

Isn't the point of the alternative rock category to challenge viewership to listen to something that they aren't exposed to every second of every day? To NOT totally mail it in with their music listening? Well, the Grammys mailed that list in. And they didn't even bother to insure it or anything. They walked out to the mailbox in their PJs, put the flag up, scratched their ass and let the results show up whenever. The category should be called "best artist to have been here a billion times that released a mediocre album this year."

People still ask that question? I think the implied answer is "I want my favorite artists to receive some attention, so to that extent yeah, but not really."

over the years i've found that i've heard/heard of fewer and fewer of the grammy-nominated albums/songs/artists. one of these years i'll look at the list and won't recognize anything. i'm looking forward to it, as it still hasn't quite happened yet.

If you put a little bit of effort into it, you can make every John Denver song sound like it's about Tim Tebow.

Tim Tebow is an American sports celebrity, so I understand that you haven't heard of him. But you've really never heard of John Denver? I guess that must be another American niche thing. He was a soft-ass singer-songwriter who came to fame in the '70s. He had a handful of big hits. He also looked a bit like a lesbian.

joyfulgirl said:
I just snagged a ticket to see Ryan Adams. Impulse purchases. :drool:

:up: I kinda like his new one, there is nothing on it I dislike outright (which is rare for his albums - there is always one or two songs I pretty much hate) there is also nothing that I really love as well so, yeah, its ok.

:up: I kinda like his new one, there is nothing on it I dislike outright (which is rare for his albums - there is always one or two songs I pretty much hate) there is also nothing that I really love as well so, yeah, its ok.

I haven't even bought it or heard it. I just figure he'll do stuff I like and I've never seen him. It's also in a nice little theater.

The general sale is on Saturday when I'll be in a big meeting but there was a fan presale today and a Google revealed the password in 2 seconds. I couldn't believe it worked.

This. Still my favorite record of the year.

:up:

Definitely one of the 3 or 4 albums fighting for my #1 with M83, Destroyer, & Washed Out. I'm sure I'm forgetting something else I absolutely love, but oh wellz.

Back
Top Bottom