Random Music Talk XLVII: 'tis (almost) the season to be jolly. But not "joyful".

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm going to write a film about the life and times of Ol Whiskey. It's going to be a lot like Fatal Attraction.

everyone starts out friends with tom on myspace. he's not actually famous.

So this should be pretty cool. On the morning of the National concert (December 8th) we've got tickets to see them do a mini show/interview with Jian Ghomeshi at this tiny ass theatre.

studio01.jpg

because occasionally he thinks he's mofo's perception of me--a hippie liar. only thing i have going for me as at least i'm not canadian.

It's my low self esteem and my desire to fit in.

I'm gonna go for a ride on my tauntaun to get my mind off things....

I'll bet you accidentally call your girlfriend Princess Leia in bed, don't you?

just as long as he doesn't start referring to himself in the third person as han, cos that would just be weird.

i'm really bored. you can call me IAmBored today. hell, IWillBeBored for tomorrow, even.

I don't understand the question and I won't respond.

Finally getting around to a few spins of that Dum Dum Girls album. It's everything you guys said it was and more. Bedroom Eyes is a hot jam.

M83 sideshow, or Laneway? Help me decide people.

If M83 is playing Laneway, why not go see them and more? I don't think you'd be wasting your money, it's pretty electro heavy, which is bad for a festival setting, but it would be worth it for Pains and The Horrors alone.

Well, The Horrors have plenty for everyone, and I assume they're showcasing that live. Their versatility is what makes them so special, so I'm sure Cobbler would find something to like.

P4k just reviewed the entirety of the Smiths' catalogue, and I agree with their album rankings fully:

1. The Queen Is Dead (10)
2. The Smiths (8.8)
3. Strangeways, Here We Come (8.3)
4. Meat Is Murder (8.1)

The ratings aren't particularly controversial, unless you think every Smiths album deserves a 10, which is absurd because Meat Is Murder's title track exists.

Well, The Horrors have plenty for everyone, and I assume they're showcasing that live. Their versatility is what makes them so special, so I'm sure Cobbler would find something to like.

P4k just reviewed the entirety of the Smiths' catalogue, and I agree with their album rankings fully:

1. The Queen Is Dead (10)
2. The Smiths (8.8)
3. Strangeways, Here We Come (8.3)
4. Meat Is Murder (8.1)

The ratings aren't particularly controversial, unless you think every Smiths album deserves a 10, which is absurd because Meat Is Murder's title track exists.

The title track isn't the only weak song on Meat Is Murder.

Also, FWIW, I'd put Louder Than Bombs over anything other than The Queen Is Dead. Which Pitchfork may have indirectly agreed with in their review of the boxed set.

:madwife:

I actually see your point. The Smiths were primarily a singles band, which is why I am pleased to see both Louder Than Bombs and Hatful of Hollow score so highly - what were they, 9.5 and 10, respectively? As a vegetarian, I am sympathetic to the track Meat Is Murder, but even I must admit that it is heavy-handed, especially so for a writer as lithe as Moz. The album Meat Is Murder has several stellar tracks, though - I personally would have rated it higher than 8.1.

Not a fan of Meat Is Murder, to be honest. Like The Queen is Dead, it never coheres, but it lacks that album's charm and versatility. It's very stiff and mopey, which I can't quite say about the other three records. The title track is merely the nadir. Love the Headmaster's Ritual though, and How Soon is Now, of course.

Really surprised the debut received less than a 9. Classic album, even if Miserable Lie blows hard. Moz's falsetto got much better.

Not a fan of Meat Is Murder, to be honest. Like The Queen is Dead, it never coheres, but it lacks that album's charm and versatility. It's very stiff and mopey, which I can't quite say about the other three records. The title track is merely the nadir. Love the Headmaster's Ritual though, and How Soon is Now, of course.

I would agree that it is far from a buoyant record, but I would not ever apply the word "stiff" to it. There's a lot of variation there, and what I at least would call a supple quality to tracks like That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore and I Want the One I Can't Have.

Listening to Kindergarten Achtung Baby. I'm pretty sure on One Bono sings "We get to parry each other" the first time around. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

I like the concept of the album though. It's neat to hear the songs this way.

I've never been a big fan of Wild Horses, but I really like the verses in this version. The chorus sounds a little muddled, but I think I would've liked to see them pursue this a bit more. I'm also surprised at how much Wild Horses and EBTTRT sound like they could've been early 2000's bsides. The songwriting isn't all that different and it seems the 'production', so to speak, of the earlier versions of songs is fairly similar.

One other thought: I sort of like the way the lyrics in So Cruel are more of a conversation than they ended up in the final version. The line about "I could nearly attend, but I'm busy" is kinda goofy, but I like it.

It seems a little out of place to me. I'd probably rank it second to last on Achtung Baby. Is that an unpopular opinion?

It's not that I don't like it. It just pales in comparison to the rest of the album

Back
Top Bottom