Random Music Talk XL: Slappin' Bitches With Vik

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know a bunch of you guys already had this discussion a while back, but I'm checking out this Spotify business right now. It has definite advantages and disadvantages. It's cool to just be able to quickly pull up an album and listen to it. But there are ads seemingly between every second or third song. Shitty ads, too, for like Salsa music and tween pop stars (not even the good tween pop stars, either).

I decided to pay for the premium service for a few months to see how much I'll actually use it. No ads and the bitrate goes up to 320 kbps. If I avoid buying one album every month then it pays for itself, I figure.

I still have invites, BTW, is anybody needs one.

Washington-Redskins.jpg

I have a plethora of dudes announcing at me. I wonder if the gender is based on music selections.

i'm aware of that more general statement, yes. although i suppose it would be more of a "was" at this point. but still.

Entwistle was awesome enough to challenge the "old dudes can't rock" stereotype by dying of a cocaine and hooker overdose at second reunion tour age.

Of course, he uh, died. I said he was awesome, not intelligent.

I'm going to listen to a Yo La Tengo album on this Spotify shit.

Quality choice. Which one did you go with?

Long After Dark. One of the last Petty albums I needed to hear, and it's pretty rad, like always. I always know to expect quality feelgood Byrds-worship from this guy.

El Mel, your (and your other half's) love for Tom Petty is one of the bigger music mysteries on this forum for me. I just dont see what the big deal is.

hahaha, i found that thread: http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f201/i-was-banned-from-the-corner-gas-station-92987.html

god, now i have to find those posts i mentioned because i know she posted about that.

I don't have the patience to look for can't find the threads, but I do remember her saying that she didn't buckle her kids in when they were in the car because it was inconvenient. Or something similarly batshit insane like that.

Good times, good times...

El Mel, your (and your other half's) love for Tom Petty is one of the bigger music mysteries on this forum for me. I just dont see what the big deal is.

You would have to ask Ashley, but speaking for myself, it's just the sound, I guess. I love catchy tunes with a strong beat, and he also diverts into heartland rock on occasion, which I have a strange affinity for that even I can't explain. Plus, I've listened to his music since I was a kid, so his voice (which is admittedly weak and nothing special) is pretty pleasing and nostalgic for me.

Artists that loosely fit the above mold that I also love:

Big Star
Teenage Fanclub
The Beat
Raspberries
Cheap Trick
Flamin' Groovies
Marshall Crenshaw
Graham Parker
some Pretenders
Matthew Sweet
Jellyfish

I guess it's my favorite sound or genre, not that's specific enough to really call it that.

I'll jump in here.

Dude writes straight-forward, fun, catchy, guitar-driven rock and roll and has a group of talented musicians in his band.

Sure, he's not reinventing the wheel but the guy has written a ton of really good hooks in his career. Is it the vocals you don't like? I can see that. To me, I've always found him an endearing vocalist.

Really good album. "Straight Into Darkness" might be my favorite Petty song.

For the record, Straight Into Darkness was my favorite too. :hi5: When the piano enters, I'm immediately sold.

Damn The Torpedoes is my favorite Petty album by default (the first half is one of the best ever), but I think the debut is the one I play the most. The Heartbreakers are an incredible backing band, and you can really hear the chemistry between the band and Petty on that one. It's not until Southern Accents that I start to feel this gets lost and he basically becomes a solo act.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom