Random Music Talk XCI: A Festivus for the Rest of Us

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The only problem that I had with it (and this is really minor) is that you couldn't click links to other posts in the forum within the app.

The only problem that I had with it (and this is really minor) is that you couldn't click links to other posts in the forum within the app.

Problems I had:

Posters on ignore being the last poster in a thread made me incapable of being able to open the thread.

Gifs didn't work (not sure that will ever happen)

Inability to click links.

COULDNT SEE WHAT WAS IN FUCKING SPOILER TAGS. Please someone tell me that at least was fixed.

Re the U2 thread with the list of demands about the next album....

Individually, the items on the wish list are rational.

Taken as a whole post, it reads like "I want U2 to be a completely different band."

Which, ha ha.

IWB, did I recall you asking about the Les Miserables movie in the last thread?

If you're a fan of the musical, it's worth checking out. It's got its ups and downs. Russell Crowe had no business being there, and Hugh Jackman was a slight disappointment for me, but overall I really enjoyed it. (But bear in mind I also really enjoyed the movie version of The Phantom of the Opera, which had a bunch of big faults.)

And was of course a sobbing mess at the end.

Problems I had:

Posters on ignore being the last poster in a thread made me incapable of being able to open the thread.

Gifs didn't work (not sure that will ever happen)

Inability to click links.

COULDNT SEE WHAT WAS IN FUCKING SPOILER TAGS. Please someone tell me that at least was fixed.

GIFS and spoilers worked in the old app, you just had to tap on the individual post (not the GIF itself) and it would open in a new window. Haven't tried either on the new app.

I guess you can file this under feats of strength or my Christmas gift to myself...

I have been using M-Audio AV30 powered speakers as my computer speakers. A few weeks ago, the left speaker died but the right (passive) speaker was still working fine. Apparently this is a common failure for this model speaker; more on that in a minute.

I initially replaced the AV30s with Audioengine A2s, but I was having problems with the sound not being balanced so I returned them. I considered just getting another pair of A2s, but I have been wanting to buy a class-T amplifier to play around with.

I searched eBay to see if I could find someone selling a used pair of AV30s cheap, and I found several being sold for parts because they had suffered the same death as mine. I paid $15 for a dead set because I only need the one passive speaker.

av30_passive_zpsd93e2cd4.jpg

Then I went on Amazon and ordered a Lepai LP-2020A+ amp, based on the Tripath TA2020 chipset. Only $23 dollars shipped.

lepai_zps233715e3.jpg

A little online research reveals that the 12-volt, 2-amp wall wart the amp ships with is seriously underpowered, causing it to clip and distort at relatively low volume, so I also ordered a 12-volt, 5-amp power brick that was originally an OEM replacement part for an LCD computer monitor, priced at $8.

brick_zps0095f33f.jpg

I received the amp and the power brick today and hooked them up to the speakers. I cranked it up pretty loud and there was no obvious clipping or distortion, so the power supply upgrade seems to be doing the trick. Sound quality is as good as with the original built-in amp, perhaps even a little better.

All in all, I spent $46 on the upgrade. :)

Here's a couple of pics of the little amp installed. It's cheap but it gets the job done. Happy Festivus to me.

ampanddac_zps7b02f3fb.png

ampandspeaker_zps9f59414d.png

I was not prepared for this level of adjustment when I did the update last night.

Is this only an update for iphones? No update for Android?

Is this only an update for iphones? No update for Android?

Yeah so far no Android update.

I actually wish instead of this forum having its own app, it was available on Tapatalk. I love my Tapatalk for my xda needs.

Yeah so far no Android update.

I actually wish instead of this forum having its own app, it was available on Tapatalk. I love my Tapatalk for my xda needs.

I thought that was what they were moving towards...

I didn't really think we still had enough people on the forum to justify a standalone app...but then I remember you can see someone on here who you have never seen before but they have 20 million posts. They just lurk in a part of the site you never venture, as there be Morlocks.

I use apps in general as little as possible. I don't enjoy reading or typing on my phone. I wish I could send text messages from my laptop.

Am I the only person who doesn't use the Interference app?

I prefer to navigate via Safari like I do at home.

Have you got an iPhone? Aren't you constantly zooming in? I'd use it if there was a mobile version of the site.

This really had turned into the airing of grievances thread.

That's one of the two most important parts of Festivus!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom