Random Music Talk LXXIX: A Tradition Like Many Others

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The one and only time I tried to say anything "real" to a musician I'm a big fan of, I sounded like Tonto or Tarzan. "You make music me like. You good. Me fan long time. Me excite for you show. Me drive long time get here. You look me weird. Me buy shirt now."

I'm pretty sure I've had four or five conversations with Mike McColgan (I know...who?) that have been about as awkward as that. You think I would have learned or something. Yet I had a really normal conversation with Johnny Rioux at one of those same Street Dogs shows where I acted like a creepy weird fan whilst talking to McColgan.

Even worse, I can think of a few other people from far lesser known bands, dudes who still have day jobs, who in my younger years I went up to and mumbled retardedly about how awesome their band was.

Some guy just wandered into my apartment, looked at me sitting here on the couch with my laptop, nodded in my direction while tipping his Budweiser pounder and said, "Good night." Then he walked out and shut the door quietly.

I hope he has a good night too, because his morning is going to be a bitch.

You don't lock your doors?

I'm laughing at him.

But because I relate. When I met Colin Hay (yeah, not exactly the biggest celebrity in the world) I couldn't even look him in the eye. I kept trying to pull Travis away because I was afraid we were taking up too much of his time, but Hay was apparently enjoying his conversation because he kept on talking and talking and I was just so shy about the whole thing, it was horrible.

Ya and I also chatted with the dude from Wild Nothing for a few. And John Darnielle. All three were last year.

But I was supposed to get something signed by Wampire and I couldn't do it. If it's just a "hey, what's up?" kind of situation I can talk to anyone, but I can't go in with a motive. Like, if I just want them to sign something, I can't do it, and I was always terrible at initiating interviews, which is why I gave up journalism. They're just people, you know? And that's why asking them for something feels weird in that scenario.

I remember freaking out a bit when I met DJ Shadow. I didn't know what to say (even though I asked him in a Q&A before the show "if you thought hip-hop sucked in '96 what do you think of it now?") so I mumbled something along the lines of "do you like Outkast", and had to repeat myself because he couldn't understand me.

Jealous of your Stipe sighting. Did you say anything to him? I honestly don't think I could have resisted saying at least "Thank you for the music" or "I'm a big fan" or something like that. Yeah, actually, I definitely would not have resisted. I would have said something to him.

No way. He was with someone and they were quietly but intensely talking about the art. It would have been invasive and inappropriate. There was a small group of teenage boys hovering nearby staring and I feared they might say something and was worried for them should it go wrong. I quickly moved to the other end of the show to give Stipe and friend space. There are times when a celeb seems available and approachable; this was not one of them. That's how I read it, anyway. Better to just blab about it on the Internet, right? RIGHT??

Also saw Sarah Jessica Parker with husband and child which became far less interesting after I saw Stipe. Big day at MOMA. Kind of pissed I didn't see Swinton, especially since that was, you know, art and all.

Kim Campesinos! and I had a great chat after their set at Harvest last year.

I talked with all the members of Pavement aside from Malkmus at various shows.

Some friends and I had a nice small conversation with Bob Mould back in the Sugar days. Super nice guy.

Easily one of the nicest musicians I've ever spoken to was Ernest Greene/Washed Out. Had a great long chat with him at Laneway last year about random things - the beach, university, that sort of stuff. Very, very friendly guy; I can't speak highly enough of him.

Were they extremely angry about the various atrocities that were happening in the pizza industry?

I drank wine with Kele after a Bloc Party gig once and we chatted amicably about the music industry and his favourite places in Canada.

I met Bono, too, and he signed a copy of U2: At the End of the World, but I couldn't get too many words out without stuttering. I eventually composed myself and told him how much I enjoyed the band's music, and he said how much he enjoyed visiting Montreal.

That was in 2001. Nowadays I'd just call him a liar and gripe about their refusal to play POP songs live. But, also, I'd ask if he was OK.

No way. He was with someone and they were quietly but intensely talking about the art. It would have been invasive and inappropriate. There was a small group of teenage boys hovering nearby staring and I feared they might say something and was worried for them should it go wrong. I quickly moved to the other end of the show to give Stipe and friend space. There are times when a celeb seems available and approachable; this was not one of them. That's how I read it, anyway. Better to just blab about it on the Internet, right? RIGHT??

That definitely sounds like the right course of action.

IWB, the bonus track on the new Wavves album appears to be written for you.

Hippies Is Punks

eek.gif

I've had the good fortune to meet a few musicians over the years, some as a result of winning radio station contests, some happen stance, some before or after gigs.
I'd say the most down to earth guy I've met is Mike McCready.

One of the funnier stories was the time I almost knocked Iggy Pop off of the stage at the Paradise. He was the celebrity host of the WBCN Rock n Roll Rumble finals( a battle of the bands contest). Me and 2 friends went hoping Iggy would play (he did like 2 acoustic numbers)...but at one point he was walking out to introduce one of the bands, we were on the side of the stage, I yelled out "Iggy" as he passed and reached up to hi-5 him, he obliged and as he weighs 69lbs soaking wet and had already imbibed a bit, my enthusiastic hi 5 caused him to stumble and nearly fall off the side of the stage (fortunately the Paradise stage is only a couple of feet high).
Then a while later while one of the bands played Iggy was hanging in the crowd next to us enjoying a Heineken. Tiny man. Great performer.

These are cool stories.

I have never met any musicians because everyone cancels their Philly shows.

WHY? (the band I love that no one else cares about) is playing a free show on campus at Penn State next Friday.

Please don't tell me I'm the only one who thought of U2 when they saw this the first time.

480786_10151563161991145_1733720602_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom