Random Movie Talk XV: You Asked For It, Cobbler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jackass Forever is incredible. I fucking adored it. I cried with laughter at least three times. The ability to go in to see a movie, completely switch my brain off and laugh that hard brought me so much joy. Feels like a great way of solidifying their legacy, particularly with guest stars like Tyler and Eric Andre. Seeing Steve-o so happy and healthy was beautiful. Seeing how much joy Knoxville gets from laughing and fucking around with his mates was beautiful. The new cast members were all fantastic, and the diversity in the cast made it even more enjoyable. Only thing holding me back from calling it a 5-star film were a couple of scenes that crossed the line a bit. Amazing, amazing movie.

When JF comes to streaming, I'll definitely watch it.

The Oscar Noms were announced and I hardly know any of these films or roles. Lol!

Chris Rock's joke about Jada was bad, but Will Smith shouldn't have slapped him. I understand it, though. Didn't watch the Oscars. They're loaded with movies I have no interest in seeing. Didn't see Will's movie.

THE NORTHMAN is tremendous. It's like Hamlet on drugs or a particularly good early-season episode of Game of Thrones.

RIP Ray Liotta. :sad: Sure he was great in Goodfellas and Field of Dreams, but I thought he was awesome in Observe and Report with Seth Rogen. Crazy movie. Copland. Loved him on the Jennifer Lopez TV show, Shades of Blue.

First time I've posted in here in a long while... I saw Moonage Daydream last night. At IMAX, I dunno if y'all have an equivalent of this, but the screen is, like, four times the size of a regular cinema screen. Got there a bit late so I was second row, meaning I was about level with the bottom of the screen and was craning my neck the entire time.

Anyway, this is the first Bowie film authorised by his estate, and it has been sold as a documentary, but it really isn't. It's a 140-minute assault on the senses. It has a narrative arc, being a reasonably rote chronological trundle through his career, with large focuses dedicated to his youth, family, David Bowie/Ziggy Stardust, Berlin, Let's Dance, Glass Spider and the 90s. But the artistry of it really pulls it through. It's loud, it's kaleidoscopic, it includes a heap of footage from interviews and concerts and behind-the-scenes stuff that I don't think has been seen before, and it really leaves an impression of his career journey despite there being no rigorous structure. I'd have liked a little more Blackstar stuff, and some more Station to Station and Aladdin Sane, but it's great. It really took me out of my head, I barely had a thought for 140 minutes, and there was a Q&A with the director afterwards, Brett Morgen, who I got to meet and chat with which was cool.

I also left with a renewed appreciation for just how transgressive Bowie was in the 70s. It's wild watching footage of the band doing hard rock songs like Moonage Daydream or Cracked Actor and Bowie's in full makeup and 'feminine' clothing.

Man...I really can't tell you all how heartbroken I am about this doc. I interviewed to be an assistant editor on it. I tried my fucking hardest to get that role. I really thought I was going to get it. I'm going to watch the movie and love it, but boy, what could've been.

Hey GAF!

My old ass regrets not going to this show.

And Blood Orange covered Under Control the same day, literally across the street from where I live:

Last edited:
First time I've posted in here in a long while... I saw Moonage Daydream last night. At IMAX, I dunno if y'all have an equivalent of this, but the screen is, like, four times the size of a regular cinema screen. Got there a bit late so I was second row, meaning I was about level with the bottom of the screen and was craning my neck the entire time.

Anyway, this is the first Bowie film authorised by his estate, and it has been sold as a documentary, but it really isn't. It's a 140-minute assault on the senses. It has a narrative arc, being a reasonably rote chronological trundle through his career, with large focuses dedicated to his youth, family, David Bowie/Ziggy Stardust, Berlin, Let's Dance, Glass Spider and the 90s. But the artistry of it really pulls it through. It's loud, it's kaleidoscopic, it includes a heap of footage from interviews and concerts and behind-the-scenes stuff that I don't think has been seen before, and it really leaves an impression of his career journey despite there being no rigorous structure. I'd have liked a little more Blackstar stuff, and some more Station to Station and Aladdin Sane, but it's great. It really took me out of my head, I barely had a thought for 140 minutes, and there was a Q&A with the director afterwards, Brett Morgen, who I got to meet and chat with which was cool.

I also left with a renewed appreciation for just how transgressive Bowie was in the 70s. It's wild watching footage of the band doing hard rock songs like Moonage Daydream or Cracked Actor and Bowie's in full makeup and 'feminine' clothing.

Caught this in IMAX tonight. Yeah, a real trip. I wasn't surprised that they rushed through the last 10-15 years of his career, but there was very little of the Berlin/Eno years? Considering how much they had him talking about wanting to keep trying new things and stay away from the center, it's odd that they'd skip this material, especially as it provides a context for Let's Dance being a swing for the cheap seats.

Anyway, if you can see this on any big screen, don't hesitate or wait for home viewing. Well worth it.

The duo of X and PEARL has been one of the great joys of my theater-going life this year. What a fucking cool move by Ti West. Releasing two parts of a horror trilogy in a matter of months. Pearl is glorious and Mia Goth is awesome.

Haven't seen Pearl yet but I enjoyed X well enough. The prequel looks even better.

What I did see tonight is Barbarian, and godDAMN that was a blast.

Go in without reading anything, if you can. Very creative storytelling.

The Banshees of Inisherin will finish very high on my favorites of 2022 list. Great movie. There's a scene in a church confessional that made me laugh as hard as anything I've seen in months.

It's funny watching the National Lampoon movies and hearing them complaining about the cost of things and that cost being completely acceptable in today's money.

The big action set piece at the end of AVATAR 2 was awesome and worth the price of admission. Caught it in IMAX 3D tonight.

We didn't need Toy Story 4, let alone Toy Story 5.
Eh. Why not? I thought 4 was good. Who gives a shit. If you have some precious memory of 3, well it still exists. It's not like a new one makes the other ones disappear.

Eh. Why not? I thought 4 was good. Who gives a shit. If you have some precious memory of 3, well it still exists. It's not like a new one makes the other ones disappear.

I agree.

Here's some random movie bullshit. The Accountant is my favorite Ben Affleck movie. Even if it's on a commercial channel and takes 3 hours to watch, I always get sucked in.

I saw Elemental. It wasn't very good, and it still made me cry heaps. Something about Pixar movies that are scientifically formulated to make me cry.

Back
Top Bottom