Random Movie Talk, Louis the XIVth Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:banghead:

Things like the Minions and the Penguins of Madagascar are funny in small doses. I have no idea what makes people think they can hold up an entire film.

On the other hand, this is coming from the person who is legitimately excited for the Lego Batman movie :hmm:

DARKNESS

NO PARENTS

CONTINUED DARKNESS

MORE DARKNESS

THE OPPOSITE OF LIGHT

BLACK HOLE

CURTAINS DRAWN

IN THE BASEMENT

MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT

BLACKED OUT WINDOWS

BLACK SUIT

BLACK COFFEE

DARKNESS

NO PARENTS

SUPER RlCH

KINDA MAKES IT BETTER

The Errand Boy is one of the funniest most joyous films ever made and probably my favorite JL directed film.
But ultimately Tashlin's Cinderfella is maybe my favorite thing he's done, himself or otherwise.

Then generally:

The Nutty Professor
The Stooge
The Patsy
The Bellboy
Artists and Models
Rockabye Baby
Cracking Up
The Big Mouth
Who's Minding the Store?
The Disorderly Orderly
Three on a Couch
Hollywood or Bust
Which Way to the Front
Hardly Working
The Family Jewels

A few more Dean Martin and Lewis films that I'm not fond of, but really The Stooge and Artists and Models are both master class.

The Ladies Man, Nutty Professor, and Artists and Models are all sublimely great. Shirley MacLaine matching Jerry beat-for-beat in A&S is a joy to behold. Nothing is as outwardly weird and spectacular as the Spider Lady dance sequence in The Ladies Man. Terrific stuff.

I jive with a lot of The Errand Boy, The Bellboy, and Cracking Up but put them a notch below.

Watching The Family Jewels the other day and reading some Rosenbaum criticism afterword, it struck me that the closest person we have making shit today like Jerry is Louis C.K. The way he plays with his cultivated public persona, stretches it, splits it into a few pieces, and bends comedic premises to their breaking point is pure Jerry. The formal experimentation and total confidence in their points of view are close-to-unparalleled.

We live in a golden age.

Glad to see someone reading Rosenbaum. He has his blind spots (Woody Allen, for one), but a very astute guy.

The Lewis Contradiction | Jonathan Rosenbaum

The whole Jerry article props up Woody as a middlebrow punching bag. I don't agree, and those arguments are the weakest of the bunch. His reviewing films in tandem approach can yield interesting thought and points of comparison. I think it hits at a critical sensibility that we all have in finding commonalities in entertainment, art, etc...

Plus, his ratings system is the most upfront and positive that I've seen from a dude of his ilk.

Oh I neglected to list The Ladies Man somehow. Easily Lewis at his peak as a visual artist. You can't beat that dollhouse candy colored artifice.

Looks like a fourth Toy Story is in the works... ‘Toy Story 4′ to Hit Theaters in 2017 | Variety

Not sure how to feel. I mean it's probably my favourite ever franchise but Toy Story 3 wrapped things up so perfectly, I can't see how going back to the well without reinventing it will work.

I still can barely even think about the ending of Toy Story 3 without starting to cry. God that shit was amazing.

Looks like a fourth Toy Story is in the works... ‘Toy Story 4′ to Hit Theaters in 2017 | Variety
Not sure how to feel. I mean it's probably my favourite ever franchise but Toy Story 3 wrapped things up so perfectly, I can't see how going back to the well without reinventing it will work.

I still can barely even think about the ending of Toy Story 3 without starting to cry. God that shit was amazing.
:up:

Holy fuck, I had a dream about going out to see Toy Story 4 last night.

Pixar isn't even coming up with their own ideas anymore.

I can't tell if you mean that in a good way or not..?

I don't know either! I found parts of it affecting since Andy and I are the same age. It's not in the same league as the first two and I'm not entirely sure why it's held in as high of an esteem. Then again, I've never lost sleep over Disney/Pixar worship.

Just saw Interstellar in AVX just in case there were sound issues as in IMAX. I'll see it in IMAX this weekend. I did miss some dialogue but got most of it. I'm still absorbing it so it's hard to rate at this point. It's good and Matthew McConaughey does do a great performance which carries the movie. Some of the dialogue was clunky but not fatal. I can't say it's a classic yet (nobody really can until time passes) but it was one of the better movie experiences this year just from the sheer ambition. I certainly prefer this to Gravity even if Gravity had better special effects (mainly due to 3D).
The ending was more mystical than I expected.

This whole sound mix thing re. Interstellar is hilarious to me. How does a guy in his position with so many resources at his disposal and with so much supposed talent between himself and his crew manage to keep releasing films in which shit is so jacked that people can't even understand all the lines at times or from particular characters. Holy hell what a joke.

This whole sound mix thing re. Interstellar is hilarious to me. How does a guy in his position with so many resources at his disposal and with so much supposed talent between himself and his crew manage to keep releasing films in which shit is so jacked that people can't even understand all the lines at times or from particular characters. Holy hell what a joke.

It's like TDKR with Bane but thankfully not as difficult to understand. The biggest problem is a plot hole at the end
regarding future humans with time spanning technology and how these future humans can survive but desperately need to interfere with the past which should have stopped their first future in the first place.
maybe with a second viewing I'll catch something. A second viewing will help with seeing if it will hold up.

Especially when a significant portion of his films are dictated by dialogue. Is he punking us? Does Nolan secretly hate movies?

nah, that's not a plot hole. That's the Bootstrap Paradox.

Picked up Like Someone in Love, Red River, All That Jazz and Foreign Correspondant todayyyyyy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom