Radiohead: The King of Limbs, Continued

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a weird old set... though I suppose they were a surprise guest, so only one old song makes a bit more sense in that regard.

Although I don't like the part where he actually sings "weird fishes."

this made me laugh, because if you replace "weird fishes" with "pow pow"... :lol:

Seriously? All they wanted was "Just"?

Radiohead at Glastonbury 2011 - review | Music | guardian.co.uk

Glastonbury-2011-Radiohea-007.jpg

One of two bands to occupy the "surprise guests" slot at Glastonbury 2011, Radiohead's appearance at this year's festival was anything but a surprise when Thom Yorke and co took to the stage. The crowd may well have been the biggest ever at Park stage, arriving an hour before the band appeared and filling every corner of the field.

So Radiohead's slot was basically confirmed, but would they play their newest album King of Limbs in its entirety, as rumoured? Not quite.

The band opened with Lotus Flower, the jittery track with which they introduced the public to King of Limbs earlier this year when they released the black-and-white Yorke solo danceathon video. Next up was 15 Steps, a promise, if nothing else, that their audiences' patient wait in the rain wasn't only to hear the latest album. Between newer tracks Morning Mr Magpie and Little By Little there was also All I Need, Weird Fishes/Arpeggi and Reckoner. All from 2007, all from In Rainbows. Vintage Radiohead was far from reach.

So how did the first live performance of King of Limbs go down at Glastonbury? Not brilliantly. Not because the album isn't good, or because Radiohead haven't got the capacity to move away from the "hits" and still own the crowd. But because it was pissing down, and for all its admirably unique qualities, Glastonbury fundamentally attracts a lot of people who have paid a lot of money to be entertained in the freezing mud by bands they probably wont get to see again. And they're mainly desperate to hear Just. So when Radiohead closed the set with Street Spirit and the sodden crowd roared, you couldn't help but feel that both the band and their audience had been cheated out of the gig they deserved.

Just is the hit they jump to? Not Fake Plastic Trees, Paranoid Android, Let Down, Karma Police, Idioteque, EIIRP, Pyramid Song?

That's what I was thinking. I mean I love Just. A lot. But I love so many Radiohead songs it would be hard to be disappointed by anything they played. I get, of course, that the new stuff wasn't what a Glastonbury audience wanted to hear, but it was also a surprise performance (sort of) so when they're not headlining, they get to do what they want and it's more or less what I would have expected.

Maybe the reviewer just meant they wanted to rock out to an early song.

:hi5: ftr, my fav Radiohead song.

:hi5: I'd say it might be my favorite of anything since Amnesiac. But I change my mind all the time.

Maybe the audience wanted to hear Just so they could all just lie down on the field and re-enact the video.

Street Spirit got the crowd going? Really? That song bores me. Aside from that and 15 Step, a tremendous set. Would love to see video footage of Bloom played live.

As far as I can tell, the crowd at Glastonbury was comprised of complete pansy-asses. When I saw Radiohead, it was 45 degrees, poured down rain and had terrible winds. Boo fucking hoo. I would have been thrilled to hear any Limbs live, rain or no rain.

Hey fans, what's the consensus on Where Bluebirds Fly and I Am A Wicked Child? I'm working on a b-sides/miscellaneous RH mix on this hot, lazy Saturday as part of a friend's birthday present. Do these go on it? You decide.

I knew you were going to say that. I'm not sure yet. But do you like those two songs? (Don't worry, he'll run out and buy whatever he likes on it if he can find it. Seriously.)

I do, but there are others I like more. I'm working on a list of b-sides and rarities for NSW, and literally was just wondering if I should include those or not yesterday. I have a hard time deciding how good songs are from an objective standpoint with bands I love sometimes. :wink:

I do, but there are others I like more. I'm working on a list of b-sides and rarities for NSW, and literally was just wondering if I should include those or not yesterday. I have a hard time deciding how good songs are from an objective standpoint with bands I love sometimes. :wink:

Ha. Same here. I also don't listen to the b-sides enough so I don't have strong opinions on a lot of them.

I was just scrolling through the Itunes store and apparently there are still some RH stuff I don't have. I lost a bunch of stuff in a computer crash two years ago and I thought I'd replaced everything but I guess not.

There's a lot out there. When i bought the fancy deluxe editions of the albums a year or two back (whenever they came out), I was surprised how many b-sides I was unaware of u.

Err on the side of including too much, please. I love the band very much so the odds are in your favor that I'll like most of these songs.

Thanks again for doing this.

Definitely my least favorite of the new non-album tracks, but I'm not really willing to judge anything based on a near-unlistenable recording of a middling live version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom