Radiohead concert reviews

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow. Great reviews! I will pray fervently that they swing by my neck of the woods on the next leg of the tour.

Well kiddies, I'm off to Salt lake tomorrow @ 10am. I don't think I'm gonna get much sleep tonight, I'm so excited. And this will be the 7th time I've seen them. Anyway, I have backstage passes and I'm going to try to sneak a camera in. Although, not sure if I wanna start snapping pix if I happen to see `em. Anyway, I'm hoping they play Subterranean again. I'd die. :combust:

HeadsOnSticks said:
Well kiddies, I'm off to Salt lake tomorrow @ 10am. I don't think I'm gonna get much sleep tonight, I'm so excited. And this will be the 7th time I've seen them. Anyway, I have backstage passes and I'm going to try to sneak a camera in. Although, not sure if I wanna start snapping pix if I happen to see `em. Anyway, I'm hoping they play Subterranean again. I'd die. :combust:

:up:

It will be my first time seeing them, I cant wait. If tomorrow was today, I'd be on my way there.

HeadsOnSticks said:

HOS, I expect a lock of Jonnys hair, do whatever it takes champ......were all pulling for ya down at the station.

mofo - whoops, i accidentally closed soulseek. nonetheless, i need to go now anyway.

to anybody going to watch the mighty radiohead in utah, enjoy yourselves, and dance to idioteque for me.

yertle-the-turtle said:
mofo - whoops, i accidentally closed soulseek. nonetheless, i need to go now anyway.

to anybody going to watch the mighty radiohead in utah, enjoy yourselves, and dance to idioteque for me.

Will do :up:

Have a great time, mofo and HOS. We want all the details!

...and dance a little for me too!

Damn you Yertle.....

dancing to Idioteque :drool:

*edit*

Damn. after typing this, I hopped out of my seat and put the song on.

I want to jump rope to this song. :huh:

Last edited:
Radiohead - SLC - August 28, 2003 Review

Oh, ho, ho. I knew the night was going to be a good one from the second an old man takes the stage to announce the opening band, Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks, and says, "Hi. How are you all? I'm here to introduce Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks. I'm Steve's dad. He always makes me do this when I see his shows." It was just a foreshadowing of the entertainment that would await me.

Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks played a entertaining and enjoyable set of songs, the stand out being 'Do Not Feed the Oysters'. Stephen took the time to crack a lot of jokes and have some funny conversations with people at the front of the stage. As their set ends, he begins walking off the stage and says,"The next band is the 'Radioheads', they should be pretty good. You should like them." His prophecy would indeed prove to come true.

Radiohead's roadies did quite the speedy job of moving all the equipment out and getting preparing for the concert. I was suprised how little time it took them, before I knew it the lights went out and I began to scream like I was Fay Wray in King Kong. I changed my feminine scream to a howl like a wolf (at the door) when I heard the drum intro to one of my favorite new songs, There There. The setlist proceeded as follows:

There There
2+2=5
Lucky
Morning Bell
Where I End and You Begin
Backdrifts
Fake Plastic Trees
Paranoid Android
Sail to the Moon
You & Whose Army?
The Gloaming
My Iron Lung
Idioteque
Scatterbrain
Wolf At The Door
The National Anthem
Sit Down, Stand Up

Encore 1:
Pyramid Song
Go To Sleep
Dollars & Cents
Street Spirit

Encore 2:
I Might Be Wrong
Everything In Its Right Place

The concert was pure bliss to the likes of me and my possie. The first three songs were as strong of an opener as you could ever wish for. There seemed to have been some technical problems for one or two of the songs, that seemed to be the fault of the venue's sound system, Backdrifts being the prime example. The band still played on and won me and the rest of the crowd over by still making those few songs work despite the problems.

Thom seemed to be in a good mood and was goofing off for lots of the concert. I would like to take dancing lessons from Thom at some date in the future, he seems to have all the right moves.......and by 'right moves' I mean terribly terribly wrong moves. Needless to say, it was more than entertaining to watch. He danced through nearly every song he didnt have to play an instrument on.

Thom won the award for "Hilariously Goofy Guy of the Night" as given by me for his performance during 'You and Whose Army'. Here he played to the camera on the piano with many a sexy wink and provocative glance, which cause much laughter and applause. He fed off that applause by motioning for us to clap more and more, which caused even the great sour puss Thom Yorke to smile and laugh.

*Honorable mentions for 'Hilariously Goofy Guy of the Night Award' go out to the ridiculously drunk old guy on the row in front of me whose dancing made Thom look like a cast member of Swan Lake. Another mention goes out to some guy we saw there who seemed to be attempting to look like a character from Dragon Ball Z, quite interesting. I feel I should also mention a guy I saw there who looked just like Andrew WK, he impressed me. Hail to the chiefs (of weirdness).

In a nutshell, this concert rocked the bizarre place known as "my world". There were no 'stand out songs' because the whole concert 'stood out'. It could very well have tied U2 as being the best concert I have ever witnessed. The band seemed more than happy to play their songs, and I was more than happy to listen to them. It's a very impressive thing when you can play a 2 hour concert and leave fans still wanting more, that's what Radiohead did for me tonight. Can't wait to see them again.

-u2popmofo

Last edited:
yertle-the-turtle said:
fake plastic trees into paranoid android? must've been amazing.

There was a lot of cheering/singing going on during those two songs, that's for sure.

Mofo - sounds like you had an awesome show. How was My Iron Lung and Scatterbrain?

I could not agree more about wanting to see them again. badly. It is a crime that last week was my first time.

Thanks for the excellent review!!!! I wish I could see them again....:|

Oh yeah, reading your review made me remember this. April and I noticed two old guys in the audience near us. Like as in 60s (at least)...we cracked up said that that would be us in 40 years....hehe. Keep on rockin'....:up:

Quote:
Originally posted by alexvilagosh
Why don't they play Creep anymore?

They actually have played "creep " on this tour.

I was in Salt Lake last night. Amazing show. Nobody makes "noise" sound as GOOD as radiohead. So creative. So brilliant. So talented. I left the show wanting more. I am thankful that there are people that gifted in this world.

Highlights:
Lucky - (powerfully emotional)
You and Whose Army? - (personal favorite and hilariously performed)
The National Anthem - (how could you not get up and shake what yo mamma gave you when this song was played?!)
Pyramid Song - (beautiful)

That's just a few of the many highlights. I had goose bumps throughout most of the night.

Ok, so here I am exhausted from last night's show. I don't know why I brought my laptop with me, prolly because I wanted to capture my thots on the show before they escaped out of the hole in my head caused by me pulling my hair out. So, Vegas is where I am, waiting to board my flight back home. What a great, amazing beautiful show. Thom is so much more relaxed than previous tours. I remember when I saw them at the Greek Theater in LA for the Kid A tour. There was a problem with Thoms mic, and he started pacing in circles. Everyone was scared he'd storm off stage and that'd be it. Do you know what 6,000 people holding their breath sounds like. Pretty deadly.

So anyway, the set didn't offer too many surprises, and I'm glad that they opened with There There. Our seats were great (the pit) and I was about 10 feet from the stage. "The Gloaming" was phenomenal, different from the album but still the same. "Fake Plastic Trees" into "Paranoid Android" was, well magical. People in the pit were jumping around so much for PA and "Idioteque" I thot the ground would surely collapse beneath us.

My backstage passes weren't as "backstage" as I would've liked, but I caught a glimpse of Colin and Ed. I got to meet Nigel Godrich, who as all Radiohead fanatics know is RH's longtime producer. He's also done stuff for Beck and Pavement and I gushed for about 10 mins about what a fucking genius he is and how glad I was that he didn't end up producing the new Strokes album. Sorry, I was a little high.

So, all in all it was a great show. I can't say it better than Mofo did so I won't. I'm looking forward to seeing them again in Sept. at the Hollywood Bowl and then 2 nights later in my hometown of San Diego at Coors Ampitheater.

PS: My fave song of the evening was "Street Spirit." I cried at the end when the whole crowd chanted "Immerse Your Soul In Loooove!"

Damn near magical. Radiohead rock my lame ass. And I'm thankful. Thank you Thom, Johnny, Ed, Phil, & Colin for, well, just being yourselves and sharing it with the rest of us. Ta!

HeadsOnStickies.:wink:

u2popmofo said:
I was suprised how little time it took them, before I knew it the lights went out and I began to scream like I was Fay Wray in King Kong.

:lol: :lmao:

I just got done messaging with Griffdawg.

In 24 hours...I am hoping to be in Vancouver.....ready to enjoy my little Radiohead excursion to the Northwest. :hyper: :hyper:

Kick ass reviews, everyone. I'm glad that an amazing time was had by all.

Street Spirit live :drool:

u2popmofo said:
Radiohead - SLC - August 28, 2003 Review

There There
2+2=5
Lucky
Morning Bell
Where I End and You Begin
Backdrifts
Fake Plastic Trees
Paranoid Android
Sail to the Moon
You & Whose Army?
The Gloaming
My Iron Lung
Idioteque
Scatterbrain
Wolf At The Door
The National Anthem
Sit Down, Stand Up

Encore 1:
Pyramid Song
Go To Sleep
Dollars & Cents
Street Spirit

Encore 2:
I Might Be Wrong
Everything In Its Right Place

-u2popmofo

Wow my friend. Formidable set list. Glad you and Boss HOS enjoyed yourselves.

:clap:

To all Vancouver-bound, have fun. I will be scowling at you while I board my opposite direction plane.

:down:

Back
Top Bottom