Quite The Opening Salvo in Philly (Precedents Set?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redhill

Refugee

Incredible. While perhaps not setting precedent, this is the ONLY TIME I can recall since the 80's that Edge was working overtime (and apparently pushed to his limits vocally) to keep up with Bono. He generally modulates and tones it down when Bono isn't on point. It's AWESOME to see him pushing himself to keep up!

Bono sounds like he took some vocal cord steroids and Edge, to my knowledge, sets precedent by adding backing vocals that were present in the studio version but never recreated live.

(at 5:26)

Stunning performance and one of the best EVER of this song, IMO. Perhaps the best when you consider that they are performing more of the studio version than ever before.

I don't know what exactly happened for that show but I found these performances awe-inspiring!

Last edited:
The opening set of pre JT songs has been excellent throughout this tour, I think. However, I think Philly set a new bar. I'm partial to this hard hitting, raw energy period of U2's career anyways, but that cuts both ways in that it makes me more likely to notice lackluster performances of these songs.

I was very worried about NYD when I heard it was being played in a different key and other critiques during the rehearsals. At both shows I've seen- Rose Bowl 2 and Pittsburgh, it blew me away.

SBS especially has been an excellent opener and we're seeing the best performances of it since the original JT tour. The Brandenburg gate version in 2009 is the only other post 1987 performance on par with the JT 30 ones.

little bastids still at the top of their game i see, and i decided to sit this one out :lol:

I still marvel at Edge's crazy attachment to that dang ski cap in horrible heat and humidity. Dude, you lost your hair and is OK! Many of us have too. Rock it with pride! :wink:

I dont understand all the lackluster fan reviews I've read for this tour. The band were clearly energized and passionate in Philly. It was the crowd who wouldn't complete the connection. Maybe they need to use the screen the first 4 songs so the crowd can see clearly the energy on stage? BTW watch Bono at the end of Red Hill this show.

Yeah, fan reviews -- I saw Philly and DC, and DC was even better, both were great, and lots of casual fans I know were completely blown away by the shows they saw. This is not a show for diehards. It's a show for people who grew up with the Joshua Tree and then moved on and always had U2 on their bucket list. They walked away blown away.

It is EXACTLY what they wanted.

And if you're a diehard, you take this tour for what it is. You see how well they are playing, and you see the astonishing screen and the drama they can turn on like a TV, and you realize that its not them, it's you. If you aren't having fun, you're the one with the problem. So fucking enjoy hearing the second half of JT, because it probably won't ever happen again.

They are still the best stadium band that ever lived.

Back
Top Bottom