Questions for Toronto U2 fans who saw the show last night.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

govikesU2

The Fly
Couple of quick questions I was hopping someone who saw the show last night could answer for me:

1. Was there any type of fan run numbering system for the front of the line?

2. Were Cameras allowed in the show?

3. When did they "tighten up" and split the lines?

4. Did anyone meet them on their way in? If so when did the band show up at the ACC?

5. What time did people start linning up?

6. How was his voice? And what were the technical difficulties people are mentioning?

Thanks for any help your able to give.
Jeff

1) Yes, there was a fan numbering system, run by one of the first guys to arrive. Wrote down our names, numbered our hands. Worked well, but not flawless.

2) Yes

3) About 1:30-2pm. Had to get rid of chairs (although not everyone did) and they split the lines.

4) I didn't, but others did. They apparently stopped at the vehicle ramp on the south side of the building at around 3pm (estimating time).

5) The first group was 4pm the day before. I was there at 1:30am and was 33rd in line. My friends arrived at 6am and were in the 70's. I ended up second row at the tip of the ellipse with a perfect view. The guy standing beside me was in the 80's, so you don't need to be in the top 50 to get a good spot.

6) Voice was amazing, very strong for the whole show. Technical difficulties....I only caught one instance where Edge's guitar cut out for about 2 seconds.

Hope that helps

When they split the lines they just reminded us that we wouldn't be able to bring chairs and bags in. Security gave a 45 min. warning at 4:30 to make sure everyone had time to leave their belongings in a safe place (car or whatever). GA line seemed well run to me. I was #113, arrived at 7:40am. Got buzzed into ellipse and was on the bottom of the ellipse rail in front of Larry's drum kit (LPOE). I gave up a chance to be 2nd row in front of Bono, but there were two really tall guys that had the front and they were not going to accommodate two short women.

The people who got there at 4 pm the day before or whatever all ended up at the tip while the FRONT row of the ellipse had people who were in the 80s and 90s in there.

A higher proportion of people were getting scanned into the ellipse as the numbers got past 50. For example, everyone from 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72 got in! 85 and 86 got in as well. And 3 people right after them.

I have a question for those who went as well...

When does the ACC parking lot open? I'm going to be driving, but probably won't get to the venue until 9 or 9:30 AM. Will it be open then or do I need to park elsewhere?

Thanks!

1. I arrived at 12pm, maybe a couple hundred ppl in front of us, no numbering system, just schmoozed with everyone - we all knew who was supposed to be where.

2. This applies to ALL U2 concerts ANYWHERE. Although the tickets actually state that there are no cameras allowed, it's actually the VENUE that applies this rule, not U2. The band overrides this rule for EVERY show. Cameras are ALWAYS allowed at U2 concerts (as long as they don't have a detachable lens or anything). C'mon, you think Bono would oppose having his picture taken by thousands of crazed fans? lol.

3. Around 2pm. At 4:45 they told us to remove all the chairs etc.

4. With my INCREDIBLE luck, Bono pulled up in an SUV and it stopped at the street light right (on bay @ lakeshore) right in front of me at about 3pm. Luckily, I was messing around with my phone cam and literally jumped up and kinda walked over to the car, tapped on the window and waved (note: at this time no one had really noticed it was Bono, because I wasn't screaming or anything). He opened the window and said 'hi, how ya doin' at which point I either passed out or professed my undying love to him. Either way, it was unreal for the first 5 secs until I realized I was being crushed by swarms of people, that was fun. lol (btw, a lot of good my phone cam did, I got a pic of the dashboard, I'm such a dolt!)

5. I heard 4pm on Sunday.

6. His voice was very powerful, high notes on Italian part of Miss Sarajevo were impeccable. A couple tech diff, but to be expected.

Parking Lot opens at 9 - it's on the north-west corner of Bay & Lakeshore. Going southbound on Bay, make a right at Lakeshore.

Parking will be open by that time. If you arrived earlier you can still park there and walk over to pay when they open.

Personally I go to GA with the assumption I will not be scanned into the ellipse, which is why I line up early in order to ensure I get the best spot anyways. Personally I think being on the outside is better anyways unless you get front row rail in front of the stage inside. When Bono/Edge are on the catwalk they aren't facing the people in the ellipse so much, and being front row inside doesn't allow you to see the entire stage production (lights/screens). As I said earlier, I got there at 1:30am....I'm probably going to wait until around 6am for Friday because I'm not going to be hoping for front row, but I'm of the opinion that getting there as early as possible is the best thing to do if you want a close spot.

Have fun!

I had no probs getting my camera in. Then again, they didn't see it. They took a quick look in my bag & told me to chuck my water bottle, & that was it. Perhaps I just look trustworthy??

Slamming J said:

So about the camera (and this could be for anyone)... I have a Sony DSC-F707 (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscf707/)... Would that be turned away or should I try taking it? Otherwise I have a Sony DSC-F55 (http://www.steves-digicams.com/f55.html ), but I would prefer to use the other one obviously.

Thanks again!

I have a camera very similar to the first one you posted (I think it may even be the same one), and kept it in my purse. I piled some stuff over it to make it less conspicuous...I was stopped at the entrance, and the woman at the door asked to have a look in the bag. She asked if the camera was binoculars, so I said they were, and she let me in! :lol:

It might be better to take the second one though, just in case.

Slamming J said:
I have a question for those who went as well...

When does the ACC parking lot open? I'm going to be driving, but probably won't get to the venue until 9 or 9:30 AM. Will it be open then or do I need to park elsewhere?

Thanks!

I parked at the lot on Bay and Lake shore. I paid $16CDN for the spot. It was across the street from the GA line. Worked as a good home base.

I'm from Toronto....and never realized how NOISY that intersection is. I miss the GA lines of Philly, Miami, and NJ. I felt a bit embarrassed at our lack of green space in Toronto.

I got to my parking spot before 8am and told them I'm parking all day. Later the parking went up to $25.

For you Americans.....with the exchange...that's pocket change! :D

solacevip said:

For you Americans.....with the exchange...that's pocket change! :D

Actually solace, when I exchanged my $ at the border into Canada yesterday, it was only $1 US = $1.15 Canadian. Not much difference now :sad: lol

I ended up parking a few blocks up at Bay and Adelaide, no trouble at all.

senrab said:

Actually solace, when I exchanged my $ at the border into Canada yesterday, it was only $1 US = $1.15 Canadian. Not much difference now :sad: lol

I ended up parking a few blocks up at Bay and Adelaide, no trouble at all.

Thems just jokes really. Our dollar used to be soooo bad....

Now it's actually doing better...

But there was a time....where US visitors.....when changing their money to CDN......won the lottery!

Yes, I remember for the Elevation Tour 4 years ago in Hamilton I hit the jackpot. lol

Just a word to those worried about getting a good view if they can't camp out all day. Don't worry.

Just be there as early as you can and you'll be OK.

Obviously, if you show up at the door at 7:30, you'll be a bit back from the ramps, but in my case I was able to arrive at 5pm and there were only 5 people in front of me at the tip of the eclipse.

I could have been 3rd row anywhere else along the ramp, but I wanted to be at the tip.

The person directly in front of me was there most of the day and they were only a couple of feet closer to the stage.

Even if the line looks big, a lot of people will get scanned into the eclipse that are ahead of you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom