Question: How do you feel about this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Achtung_Bebe

New Yorker
I've been learning about Emily Dickinson in class for the past few weeks, and it got me considering something concerning the publishing of poetry. Emily Dickinson was very secluded from society--she practically shut herself within her home and its surrounding area, wearing only white, writing poetry.. basically keeping to herself. She did not like sharing her poetry--infact she only allowed close family members to read it, because it revealed so much that went on within her head, and I suppose she preferred if her poetry were kept to herself... giving her a way to live vicariously through the pen in a way. Though she didn't interact much with the world, it would be a fool who said that she didn't know what it meant to live, because I feel she successsfully expresses this through her work. My question is how do you feel about someone's poetry getting published after they have died? It is my understanding that none of her poetry was published during her lifetime, however they were found and now over 1,000 poems of hers are published. It's almost as if someone were to publish your personal diary after you have passed away. I suppose you could say that if it were not published her many works would have gone untouched--which would be quite an overlook--however is it right to do this when this person, while still living, would not likely have given consent? I'm sure there are other instances where poetry was not published until after death, but Dickinson is fresh on my mind. I'd love to hear your opinions on this concept. I think many factors can take part in this question--having to consider gain to the study of literature, as well as the consent of the poet. Thanks for allowing me to ramble
smile.gif

hmm...I really don't know.
I think poetry is written for two reasons: a release, and to be shared. I'm the opposite of Dickinson; I'd be embarrassed if close family members read my poetry...they don't even know I write
biggrin.gif

but I love sharing it with you people and I'd have no problems with anyone reading it if I wasn't around. After I'm dead, nothing here will matter to me anymore anyway, besides people, so basically I wouldn't care what people did with my possessions... wow, that sounds a little morbid
biggrin.gif

but I'd be torn between respecting Dickenson' wishes and sharing poetry that should definitely be shared with the world, simply because of how gorgeous it is.
I had a teacher who once said that poetry is a spoken art. It is meant for people, and it is meant to be read and pondered by the masses. So I guess I'd side with publishing her work, because what else is the point of it? Life is meant to be felt.
tough question...
smile.gif

------------------
Just the bang and the clatter
As an angel runs to ground...

Back
Top Bottom