Question About Boston Show & 14 fans Onstage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
u2forlife said:
:hug: Kristie. Were you inside or outside the ellipse?

:hug: tanks

I was outside, about three back from the rail, edge's side

There was a man behind me who was standing pressed up against me and jumping up and down the whole show, so his front side was rubbing all over my backside. He also kept leaning his arms on my back and touched me rather inappropriately with his hands once or twice. :mad: He was making me very uncomfortable and basically ruining the show for me.

I ended up shoving my way to the back of the floor during One and had a much better time back there... I figured moving was a better option than punching the guy in the nose. :madwife:

...sorry, that was kind of off-topic

turi001 said:
dude..me cry never..why would i cry...

i have had the best year ever...

your ignorant comments are too funny.

i think i am done with you.

That's cool with me. Just make sure you remember to save my spot on the rail for me. :wink:

Kimla, I hope you realize that you were in front of me before you got up there and after also. I even pushed back while you were up there and was telling the people who were pushing me from behind that they might as well move back because once you all got back down you would need to get back into your spots.

I was just sorry I ended up with someone who was about a foot taller than me who wasn't in that spot before everything happened, but I dealt with it.

ramblin rose said:
Kimla, I hope you realize that you were in front of me before you got up there and after also. I was just sorry I ended up with someone who was about a foot taller than me who wasn't in that spot before everything happened, but I dealt with it.
Hey Ramblin, :wave: yes I do know that you stepped back to allow me in. Definitely wasn't referring to you or the kind people who allowed my group back on the rail. There were 2 men in the second/third row who actually locked arms together to hinder us from moving forward. Not to mention the two girls with their obnoxious "Pick me" signs who wouldn't leave the rail.

Unfortunately with all the commotion, Marty didn't get his old spot back and ended up in front of you after that. Sorry about that :hug: I hope you were able to enjoy the rest of the concert. :hug:

u2forlife said:
Hey Ramblin, :wave: yes I do know that you stepped back to allow me in. Definitely wasn't referring to you or the kind people who allowed my group back on the rail. There were 2 men in the second/third row who actually locked arms together to hinder us from moving forward. Not to mention the two girls with their obnoxious "Pick me" signs who wouldn't leave the rail.

Unfortunately with all the commotion, Marty didn't get his old spot back and ended up in front of you after that. Sorry about that :hug: I hope you were able to enjoy the rest of the concert. :hug:

Of course I enjoyed the rest of the show. :) I even took the liberty of using your and the tall guy's (who I now know is Marty) shoulders to gain lift off when Fast Cars started. Thanks for that. :hug:

I know the two girls you're talking about because they pushed my GA line buddy out of her spot. When all of sudden I saw her behind me I asked her what had happened and she pointed them out and said they had pushed her out of her spot.

The bottom line is the whole One thing was a great part of the show, and I was really glad to see when Bono let the girl with the Zootopian banner get up there too. At one point it looked like it that banner might not make it up on stage.

ramblin rose said:
Of course I enjoyed the rest of the show. :) I even took the liberty of using your and the tall guy's (who I now know is Marty) shoulders to gain lift off when Fast Cars started. Thanks for that. :hug:

The bottom line is the whole One thing was a great part of the show, and I was really glad to see when Bono let the girl with the Zootopian banner get up there too. At one point it looked like it that banner might not make it up on stage.
Anytime dear :hug: Now, I know how much you REALLY love that song. Yeah, the Zootopian banner was almost a lost cause. We have a picture of Bono stretching across to try to grab it. My poor flag didn't make it onstage the same time I did either. I had to reach down to get it from security who was busy trying to dislogdge it from underneath his foot.

No Sammy, you were further to the right. It was Marty who was now in a new spot in front of Rose. BTW, Rambin Rose, what is your name?

Hey guys!

I guess everything has been said about what happened on Sunday night but I can assure you the whole ONE thing was not rigged.

A couple of months ago, we started planning to get together to go the Boston shows so we could meet again after such a long time without seeing each other.

We came up with the flags idea one night and hope we would get some kind of interaction from the band, but we never expected to be pulled on stage. That was a complete shock!

It was one of the most amazing nights of my life. Most of you know how long I;ve been talking about how i would love to get on stage to dance with Bono, especially after what happened to me back in 1998 in Argentina. But this totally tops it. Being on stage with my dear friends was beyond my wildest dreams.

And the reaction we got after the show was brilliant! I got many members from Interference and Zootopia come up to me and say how happy they were for us. That was one of the sweetest things ever.

Zone, i don't think it's "trash talking" to question how so many people that were in the same group all got in the ellipse. Earlier in the tour the odds of that happening were just about zero. It's the system that was questioned.

gabrielvox said:
U2 karma's gonna get ya...if I dont get ya first... :wink:

And I don't care if there's a :wink: at the end of this. Threats are just not cool. :|

WildHoneyAlways said:
Zone, i don't think it's "trash talking" to question how so many people that were in the same group all got in the ellipse. Earlier in the tour the odds of that happening were just about zero. It's the system that was questioned.

exactly, nobody was bashing the people, just the lottery system.

though i do find it hilarious that after being on stage during a song like One, a song that is supposed to unite us together and to have us "carry each other," that there was bitching and fighting about spots inside the ellipse.

kind of goes against everything the song is about, wouldnt ya say?

u2forlife said:
Hey skjuls :wave: Sorry I didn't recognize the screename, but I remember you well. I hope you didn't freeze too much out there. Boston was unbearably cold.

Pictures? Did you say pictures? :hyper: If you would be so kind to post, I would love to see :hyper:

I will post some pictures. I have two blurry ones of you guys on stage and then one of all of you have the show. It's so cute!

And then I have my awesome pictures from outside of the ellipse near the center along the rail. I even have one of Bono looking directly at the camera with Adam and a picture of Larry smiling.

It was so cold!!!!! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Niamh_Saoirse said:
Hey guys!

I guess everything has been said about what happened on Sunday night but I can assure you the whole ONE thing was not rigged.

A couple of months ago, we started planning to get together to go the Boston shows so we could meet again after such a long time without seeing each other.

We came up with the flags idea one night and hope we would get some kind of interaction from the band, but we never expected to be pulled on stage. That was a complete shock!

It was one of the most amazing nights of my life. Most of you know how long I;ve been talking about how i would love to get on stage to dance with Bono, especially after what happened to me back in 1998 in Argentina. But this totally tops it. Being on stage with my dear friends was beyond my wildest dreams.

And the reaction we got after the show was brilliant! I got many members from Interference and Zootopia come up to me and say how happy they were for us. That was one of the sweetest things ever.

I still can't believe that we didn't even say HI to each other!! or introduced ourselves my Myspace friend!!

LOL!!! :sad:

Funny, someone at the concert said something similar to me when we were talking about the way some U2 fans behave-nothing to do with One and that whole incident but just in general.

The reality is that some U2 fans are merely out for themselves and will do whatever it takes to get what they want. Any U2 "message" goes straight out the window. This isn't a comment about anyone here just a general one. Sadly that is human nature. To have an ideal about U2 fans is lovely, but it is just that-an ideal, not reality. There are some great ones however who can make up for the not-so-great ones. I think it also has to do with the other thread about U2 fandom, that it has become a "me me" competition.

MrsSpringsteen said:
Funny, someone at the concert said something similar to me when we were talking about the way some U2 fans behave-nothing to do with One and that whole incident but just in general.

The reality is that some U2 fans are merely out for themselves and will do whatever it takes to get what they want. Any U2 "message" goes straight out the window.
Unfortunately I think "some" may be too lenient...its probably more like "most".
I think a large percentage of fans would not think twice about stepping on other fans' heads to belly dance with Bono, play guitar along side Edge, discuss hair dye with Adam or compare Moobs with Larry. I don't think its often with malicious intent, but most people just get caught up in the moment and forget all about those around them.

Again, Like Mrs. Springsteen, I'm not referring to anyone specifically(I watched the flag ceremony from the Loge, so don't have any first hand knowledge of anyone in the ellipse's behavior that night), just commenting on the whole dynamic as I've witnessed it, especially on the last 2 tours with the GA systems.

It is most, I was just trying to be nice :wink:

There's a difference between getting caught up in a moment and everything that can precede that moment, before the concert and on message boards. It has gotten out of hand and become a competition amongst fans for attention or whatever you want to call it. Getting rid of the GA would take care of the on stage problem, the competition for spots, etc. I suppose some people would still compete over meeting them or whatever :shrug:

I happen to think it's not most U2 fans but a minority. Maybe my experiences on this (and past) tours has been different than some of you. Most fans I've met have been very friendly, generous, and considerate. Sure, I know the type of people that give U2 fans a bad reputation, but I think it's a stretch to say its most fans.

From some of the responses on this thread I guess that's just me though. :shrug:

ramblin rose said:
I happen to think it's not most U2 fans but a minority. Maybe my experiences on this (and past) tours has been different than some of you. Most fans I've met have been very friendly, generous, and considerate. Sure, I know the type of people that give U2 fans a bad reputation, but I think it's a stretch to say its most fans.

From some of the responses on this thread I guess that's just me though. :shrug:
I agree with your assessment of U2 fans in general. Standing in GA lines, in the arena concourse, in the seating areas, they are as a whole a very friendly, nice bunch.
However I think there's a transformation close to the stage/ramp. People get caught up in things and lose their sense of respect for their neigbors to get close to Bono and co., or to attempt to get noticed and pulled up on stage.
And its not just a U2 fan thing, I've seen very similar behavior at many other concerts, when a rock star comes close by, people tend to go overboard. It becomes a problem when you have a negative effect on those around you, pushing, shoving, trying to snake into a GA spot someone else has spent hours standing in, or in non-GA shows, invading seating areas of others cause you feel you have the right to upgrade your seats.

I hope no one attributes this behaviour to the Boston Flag Ship (we have a newly christened name by Bono). We brought our flags because were are all proud of our heritage. The same way Irish-Americans are proud to bring Ireland's flag to concerts. The flags were a representation of all the different nationalities that made up our friendship with ONE common thread being U2 (i.e. we're one, but not the same...) As well as showing the band their diverse fan base. We had no expectation of being on stage. We were :shocked: when Bono said, "Wow!" That was enough for our ENTIRE group. Bono went beyond our wildest imaginations and invited us to join him on stage to display our flags. Just wanted to put that out there.

Now, if people are making a general comment about doing GA, then I have to agree that being on the rail is the only safe place to be. Once you get 2 or 3 rows back, it can become pretty feisty. I was at the 5/10 Chicago show, outside the ellipse about 3 or 4 rows back. A group of 6, bulldozed everyone and shoved their way to the second row. They weren't drunk, they were falling down drunk. So, I echo some of the sentiments represented here. But, I also think it comes along with doing standing room only, general admission :shrug:

Hewson said:
I agree with your assessment of U2 fans in general. Standing in GA lines, in the arena concourse, in the seating areas, they are as a whole a very friendly, nice bunch.
However I think there's a transformation close to the stage/ramp. People get caught up in things and lose their sense of respect for their neigbors to get close to Bono and co., or to attempt to get noticed and pulled up on stage.
And its not just a U2 fan thing, I've seen very similar behavior at many other concerts, when a rock star comes close by, people tend to go overboard. It becomes a problem when you have a negative effect on those around you, pushing, shoving, trying to snake into a GA spot someone else has spent hours standing in, or in non-GA shows, invading seating areas of others cause you feel you have the right to upgrade your seats.

I guess I see what you're saying, I'm just not convinced it's the majority of fans. I suppose since I'm not the type to even raise my hand to try and touch his when he gets close I can't really relate to that whole thing. :shrug:

u2forlife said:
But, I also think it comes along with doing standing room only, general admission :shrug:
I've seen (and felt) some pretty rude behavior at concerts (not U2) without GA. Though it does get magnified at GA shows, cause some people think GA is a license to be an :censored: .

Kristie said:

:hug: tanks

I was outside, about three back from the rail, edge's side

There was a man behind me who was standing pressed up against me and jumping up and down the whole show, so his front side was rubbing all over my backside. He also kept leaning his arms on my back and touched me rather inappropriately with his hands once or twice. :mad: He was making me very uncomfortable and basically ruining the show for me.
You were pretty close to me then. I was on the rail next to the step that Bono sometimes steps on to lean into the crowd, although that night, Bono went to the other side. If that guy had tried that on me, he'd have had a close encounter with my elbow or knee where it hurts.

I don't play.

Oh, by the way, the crowd with the flags were posing for a group picture after the show, and I volunteered to take a few of their camera and snap photos for them. Meanwhile, there was a guy beating a drum there...he was loud! But I started dancing to the beat. I was on a U2 high. :D

Last edited:
ramblin rose said:

Oh I agree. Most of the fans I've met have been great! Like the saying goes, "there's one in every crowd" - sometimes more than one - but they're a minority. Unfortunately, that minority is why music business people stereotype fans. (That's another soap box. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom