Pride

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's possible it was his cream finish Les Paul Custom. It was seen being played by Edge in the documentary for The Unforgettable Fire during the recording for Pride. However that doesn't mean that he couldn't have recorded it on a strat. I think he used a strat and Edge has said that he often likes to use as much of the same gear live as he did in the studio to get the closest possible sound. It's unknown outside of who was there when recording for that final guitar track took place really, or so I'd guess. We can do nothing but speculate really.

It sounds humbuckerish on the album and most believe it was an LP.

AFAIK, he's only used the cream LP once for a live performance of Pride, at an Old Grey Whistle Test in 1987, and in my opinion this comes very close to his studio sound for the song. Stellar version, btw, little muck up aside. :)

YouTube - U2 - Pride (live 1987)

There is possibly more than one guitar on "Pride". Many songs have more than one part and more than one guitar used.

Example: In "It Might Get Loud", you see Edge playing "...Boots" with the cherry SG at one point and a Country Gent in another. Which, if either made the final mix?

Is it possible the LP Custom made it to the mix? Definitely. But the documentary footage, like that of "It Might Get Loud" might not tell the entire story.

As mentioned, Edge did use the LP Custom live on TV. He also used the Yamaha AE2000 at the 1986 Self-Aid show in Ireland. It sounded pretty good. I don't think that he had the Yamaha during the UF sessions. But that could mean that the Gretsch White Falcon, as seen in the promo clip, might have been used?

It's possible it was his cream finish Les Paul Custom. It was seen being played by Edge in the documentary for The Unforgettable Fire during the recording for Pride. However that doesn't mean that he couldn't have recorded it on a strat. I think he used a strat and Edge has said that he often likes to use as much of the same gear live as he did in the studio to get the closest possible sound. It's unknown outside of who was there when recording for that final guitar track took place really, or so I'd guess. We can do nothing but speculate really.

Back
Top Bottom