President George W. Bush is our commencement speaker....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I heard on the sidewalk that the White House called us to see if Bush could speak. Maybe Ellen knows if that's true....

His PR people contacted us and were like "hey, invite him. *nudge* *nudge*"

And exactly what JessicaAnn said, he's appealing to the base. I highly doubt this will be just a commencement speech - and most of the people attending wouldn't have it any other way.

daygloeyes2 said:
I'd go just to watch him try to pronounce commencement.

:applaud: Think of all the Bushisms you'll hear firsthand. You could write a book or make a calendar and pay for grad school!

JessicaAnn said:

I think you answered your own question ... it's appealing to "the base"

Actually, it sounds like the general opinion is not in favor of this, especially among the faculty. It seems to me that he's more appealing to the local community, but not the college itself.

Just curious...

Isn't college more fun when you are exposed to different ideas, especially ones you are not in alignment with?

Dreadsox said:
Just curious...

Isn't college more fun when you are exposed to different ideas, especially ones you are not in alignment with?

Are you asking me? If so, yeah, sure. I've met the most liberal people (students and professors) and conservative people I've ever known at school. My theology profs have all been a totally different denomination than myself and expressed it openly in class (which is significant b/c we're a private school that officially requires all faculty to be a member of a CRC). So....what exactly are you getting at? Everyone but Bush has ideas?

wow - I'd hate to think of you Bush haters in the military. You'd be like, "No, I won't do this or that, because I don't like push and don't agree with his policies".

But he's still commander in Chief, and still your boss.

Oh, but that's right, none of you guys would ever join the military. ;)

Well, here is one benefit: I've never heard of Calvin College or the CRC. But now I have, as will many, many people from the President visiting your school.

So, I went and checked out the website for the school and the church, and I am very impressed. So much, as that I would be proud to send my kids to Calvin College. Encourage them to go there.

Calvin College looks very, very cool.

MadelynIris said:
Well, here is one benefit: I've never heard of Calvin College or the CRC. But now I have, as will many, many people from the President visiting your school.

So, I went and checked out the website for the school and the church, and I am very impressed. So much, as that I would be proud to send my kids to Calvin College. Encourage them to go there.

Calvin College looks very, very cool.

:rockon:

It is a very good school, especially if you want a well-rounded liberal arts education. Also I'm told we have the best political science dept in the country for schools in our category. I get restless b/c I've lived in Grand Rapids my entire life and don't particularly like it here, but it is a good school. The CRC has a reputation for being conservative, but for many churches, it's not true, and certainly not a clear majority at Calvin College. Many students have no affiliation w/ the CRC anyway and don't even know what it is, they just like the school.

mikal said:
sit in the front row, and when everyone flips their caps in the air, just whip at George like a frisbee and hope that the sharp part hits him in the eye.:wink:

*Laughs* I love Bush, but thats just too funny >_<!!

I'm the only Republican in my School so I have to debate almost every day with my Racist Preticipation in Government teacher. She thinks Bush is EVIL...Then again she thinks all white men are the Devil.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Are you asking me? If so, yeah, sure. I've met the most liberal people (students and professors) and conservative people I've ever known at school. My theology profs have all been a totally different denomination than myself and expressed it openly in class (which is significant b/c we're a private school that officially requires all faculty to be a member of a CRC). So....what exactly are you getting at? Everyone but Bush has ideas?

I am not quite certain how to respond....did I say something wrong?

I fail to see why Bush speaking at a college graduation would be so disappointing. How many people have had the opportunity to have a president sepak at their graduation. Like him or not, I think it would be a pretty neat experience.

Anyway...I will slink back out of this thread, since apparently my response was lacking.

Dreadsox said:

I am not quite certain how to respond....did I say something wrong?

I fail to see why Bush speaking at a college graduation would be so disappointing. How many people have had the opportunity to have a president speak at their graduation. Like him or not, I think it would be a pretty neat experience.

Anyway...I will slink back out of this thread, since apparently my response was lacking.

No, I just wasn't sure who the question was directed to and if I was directed to me, what exactly you were getting at. I completely agree with what you're saying above.

MadelynIris said:

technicaly, we're his boss. my 1,600 dollar friggin tax bell helps pay his salary... but i digress.

the unabashed hatred for this man by many of those to the left helped lead to his re-election. nice to see it continues.

when the right spit their venom towards bill clinton, the masses said eh... he's really not that bad, and his numbers went up. when the left showed their pure hatred for bush, the masses said eh... he's really not that bad, and he got re-elected. :shrug: perhaps a lesson should be learned here...

but i digress again...

i would be honored to have the president speak at an event that i'm involved in... i didn't like bill clinton, but when i got to shake his hand when he showed up on the field at shea stadium before a mets game a few years back, i got all goosebumpily and giddy. it's the president, for pete's sake.

Bush is a crap public speaker (as is Kerry) but if I was graduating at this college I would still attend the speech out of respect. There hasn't been a genuinely stirring public speaker in the White House since Reagan.

financeguy said:
Bush is a crap public speaker (as is Kerry) but if I was graduating at this college I would still attend the speech out of respect. There hasn't been a genuinely stirring public speaker in the White House since Reagan.

What about Bill Clinton? He was a really good speaker and had style that people responded to.

JessicaAnn said:

What about Bill Clinton? He was a really good speaker and had style that people responded to.

I found him irritating. All that "emoting" - what was all that about? I'm told it appealed more to women.

financeguy said:

I found him irritating. All that "emoting" - what was all that about? I'm told it appealed more to women.

Emoting can be a powerful technique that speakers use to persuade their audience. I don't know whether or not it is a more effective technique on men or women, but it does work.

Emoting is what did it for Reagan too and it's one thing I liked about him. When Reagan comforted people such as the families of the Challenger victims you could tell he was geniunely interested in them. Same with Clinton when he was working with the crowds. Bush doesn't even want to be seen with the families of U.S. soldiers who died.

As for the speech, I think it would be really interesting to see both sides. College really taught me to open my mind to new ideas and really speaking my voice. If people protest, so be it. They are college students and they should do that. And likewise, there should be students standing outside supporting Bush for the same reason.

I don't buy the whole "have respect and don't protest because he's the president". If that were the case, why did our founding fathers create a first amendment? I walk by a sign in a window of a building across from the Trade Center site everyday. It's a quote from Thomas Jefferson -- "Dissent is the highest form of patriotism." I think he had it right.

sharky said:

I don't buy the whole "have respect and don't protest because he's the president". If that were the case, why did our founding fathers create a first amendment?

I disagree. I don't have a problem w/ protesting or free speech or whatever, but commencement is not the time nor the place. If you want to protest Bush, do it on Capitol Hill or at a campaign rally. For commencement, I think it's rediculous. Just don't go. Protesting will just make everyone's lives a pain in the ass. Campus safety will be overwhelmed, Bush's SS will have to take extra procautions, students/staff/faculty who just want to go about their normal daily activity will have to deal with masses of angry people.

Anyway, it's private property so there probably won't be any protesting to worry about.

MadelynIris said:
wow - I'd hate to think of you Bush haters in the military. You'd be like, "No, I won't do this or that, because I don't like push and don't agree with his policies".

Your post made me laugh.

Do you see the irony in your post?

W. is the only "Commander in Chief"

that failed to complete his service.

Calvin College, in Grand Rapids, Michigan,is a 4-year Christian liberal arts college dedicated to providing the best in higher education.

MadelynIris said:
Do you have some kind of documentation on the assertation that he failed to complete his service?
CBS would be happy to make one up for you.

Angtre01 said:
John Kerry would have been a good leader. You guys are a joke. He is your commander in chief, show some respect.

Totally agree Angtre....amazing how many anti-Bush people look ridiculous saying they wouldn't go, or wouldn't applaud or would throw their cap at him. Grow up people. Even though I dislike Clinton's policies, I would still show him the respect that he has gained of being President.

MadelynIris said:

My boss??????????????? Don't think so.

Back
Top Bottom