Predict the singles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If they want to make people remember how big they are - every breaking wave and song for someone

If they want to make people remember how great they are - sleep like a baby and volcano

Why is everyone saying California? I've listened to the song many times now and still can't see a hook in it. It's totally forgettable and not in the slightest catchy...

I find the beginning of it and the hook very catchy, but people have different brains and have different perceptions of what they want. Part of the fun is seeing it kick in months down the road.

California is the obvious choice for a single guys. It's the most fun, upbeat, and catchy song on the album. I feel the same way about Every Breaking Wave as I do about Moment Of Surrender - boring, spiritual snooze fest that should never be released as a single.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I know I'm in the minority here, but I think Raised By wolves is the weakest song on the album.

go-away.gif

Just kidding.

go-away.gif

Just kidding.

???? thats hilarious. one of the best I've seen. I'm stealing it.? I don't necessarily think RBW is a bad song, I just like all the other songs better. Like I've said before, if the band plays the song or records a music video in a cage full of wolves, it'll be my favorite song of all time.

???????????????????????? thats hilarious. one of the best I've seen. I'm stealing it.?????? I don't necessarily think RBW is a bad song, I just like all the other songs better. Like I've said before, if the band plays the song in a cage full of wolves, it'll be my favorite song of all time.

Seeing as it's about something very serious; maybe that wouldn't be the best way to represent the song but I'm there with you in spirit.

This is a great album in the sense that I'm not hating any song. I ranked Sleeps Like a Baby last of the 11, but I still give it a "decent" rating. It has been a while since I've said that.

For singles though, I think EBW is the most obvious radio song on the album. I agree that California was written with that in mind and it does have a radio chorus, but I think it's weaker and hope they don't use it.

I'd go EBW and the Troubles. I know The Troubles is darker, but that's a haunting hook Lykke Li sings and would stick in heads. Plus, it's a departure from Miracle and EBW. It'd be trilogy of songs that best reflect the album: The gritty punk song, the radio hook and the dark, deep brooder.

While I think there are a number of songs that could be released, realistically there probably isn't a legit Top 40-esque single on this album. That's just not really who U2 is compared to the rest of the market these days.

However, Song for Someone could absolutely smash on Adult Contemporary.

it has to be EBW next. it gives you that U2 signature uplifty angst that everyone loves, even if they won't admit that they do. end of discussion. honestly. "the people" all want another One, WOWY, or AIWIY. it's really only U2 who thinks the public wants Bono to rock their faces off.

i agree that SFS could be a smash, even if i find it a bit of coitus interruptus as it never quite gets us there. and while i rank California near the bottom of the album i suppose it sounds like a single.

The first 6 are the singles, but if they are really releasing SOE soon, they will probably just do EBW, SFS and California...

I think that The Miracle was a decent choice for lead single. EBW should follow. And then they should stop releasing singles.

Agreed. And I think The Miracle, while not the greatest song, has the short bits that will make a great punch in a commercial break during a football game. Like someone else said, great promotional single. It sounds modern. U2 doesn't look completely stupid in the commercial and who knows, maybe it could lead someone new into checking them out.

California would have been the best single for this album...different but really catchy and breezy. Plus it would have worked for the apple launch in...California.

I don't there will be any other singles from this album...what's the point? Everyone has the tracks for free!

Unless one of the extra tracks on the physical album is a planned single.

Had it been a traditional release I would say the singles should have been

California
Song for someone
Volcano

California would have been the best single for this album...different but really catchy and breezy. Plus it would have worked for the apple launch in...California.

I don't there will be any other singles from this album...what's the point? Everyone has the tracks for free!

Unless one of the extra tracks on the physical album is a planned single.

Had it been a traditional release I would say the singles should have been

California
Song for someone
Volcano

As further promotion push once the physical edition comes out?

I really, really don't understand the hate for Miracle. Don't you guys think of the first time you heard U2? That's what I think of and it changed our lives.

The song has grown on me but a lot people don't like the rock opening single because it reminds them of Boots or Vertigo. Also because if U2's deep back catalog many want a futuristic ground breaking new sound and this isn't it. If you like it then that's fine because that's all that matters.

Sent from my iPod touch using U2 Interference

California is the obvious choice for a single guys. It's the most fun, upbeat, and catchy song on the album. I feel the same way about Every Breaking Wave as I do about Moment Of Surrender - boring, spiritual snooze fest that should never be released as a single.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. Also, Cedarwood Road is the cat's pajamas.

Sent from my Freightliner, most likely.

The song has grown on me but a lot people don't like the rock opening single because it reminds them of Boots or Vertigo. Also because if U2's deep back catalog many want a futuristic ground breaking new sound and this isn't it. If you like it then that's fine because that's all that matters.

Sent from my iPod touch using U2 Interference

That's actually been the best sign for this album. We all have different feelings on all of the songs. I think that's a sign we have a strong album on our hands.

The true test is how many new songs stay in the setlist this time around.

Is "The Miracle" confirmed as a single, as a proper single, whether physical or just digital single? Or are we assuming that "The Miracle" is a first single because they played it at the Apple event and because wikipedia says so?

I'm saying this because I was thinking that the album could end not having any "official" singles at all, although the label would obviously send promotional singles to the radios.

Anyway, judging U2's strategies, I'd say that if there'll be singles, it'll be "The Miracle" followed by "Every Breaking Wave" and "Song For Someone".

Is "The Miracle" confirmed as a single, as a proper single, whether physical or just digital single? Or are we assuming that "The Miracle" is a first single because they played it at the Apple event and because wikipedia says so?

I'm saying this because I was thinking that the album could end not having any "official" singles at all, although the label would obviously send promotional singles to the radios.

Anyway, judging U2's strategies, I'd say that if there'll be singles, it'll be "The Miracle" followed by "Every Breaking Wave" and "Song For Someone".

It's early days so we don't know if there will be singles and b-sides. Radio is playing all kinds of different songs. I'm wondering if there aren't any b-sides because they decided to finish songs this time and not give up on them.

it has to be EBW next. it gives you that U2 signature uplifty angst that everyone loves, even if they won't admit that they do. end of discussion. honestly. "the people" all want another One, WOWY, or AIWIY. it's really only U2 who thinks the public wants Bono to rock their faces off.

i agree that SFS could be a smash, even if i find it a bit of coitus interruptus as it never quite gets us there. and while i rank California near the bottom of the album i suppose it sounds like a single.
:up:
I was just thinking the same thing about their back catalog of singles and you're right Irvine, seems no one wants U2 to sound like themselves yet popular opinion seem to be that every potential single should sound like something from the past. The ones you mentioned are such phenomenal sounds/hits they can't be duplicated. Not to mention the - too numerous to list of possible hits that should have been, but never were released as singles. With that said, Every Breaking Wave has every quality of a hit single, whether it's number 1 or not. I, as well am not feeling the whole 'California is the next big thing." But, that's just me.

It's early days so we don't know if there will be singles and b-sides. Radio is playing all kinds of different songs. I'm wondering if there aren't any b-sides because they decided to finish songs this time and not give up on them.

Hi purple. :wave: The fact that radio is playing all kinds of different songs encourages me to think my favorite (after EBW) will be Sleep like a Baby. I know it's dark and dirty and but I loved from the beginning even though I didn't know what it was about, I was playing it over and over before I heard the rest of the album. In my humble opinion, I think it would be immensely popular. Of course, I've been wrong before, believe it or not. :wink:

Hi purple. :wave: The fact that radio is playing all kinds of different songs encourages me to think my favorite (after EBW) will be Sleep like a Baby. I know it's dark and dirty and but I loved from the beginning even though I didn't know what it was about, I was playing it over and over before I heard the rest of the album. In my humble opinion, I think it would be immensely popular. Of course, I've been wrong before, believe it or not. :wink:

It's a really good song but it's totally not a radio song especially because of the subject matter. I put this more of a If you wear your velvet dress/Ultraviolet/When I look at the world slot. I really hope they play it live.

I really, really don't understand the hate for Miracle. Don't you guys think of the first time you heard U2? That's what I think of and it changed our lives.

If I want to think of that then I'll just listen to 11 O'clock Tick Tock or Bad, which still have the magic of discovery, rather than some decent but hardly remarkable new track.

The song had potential. I like parts of it. The chorus just isn't good enough, but they really set themselves up for that with all the talk of "the most beautiful sound I've ever heard." With a theme like that you'd better deliver something extraordinary.

For a first single though I don't really know what else would work.

Back
Top Bottom