Pop appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DreamOutLoud13 said:
POP! :drool:

Pop is fantastic. If I ever meet Bono I'm gonna tell him to stop bashing it, because it's perfect :grumpy:

Everything about Pop is perfect. As Bono put it, the album is "fucking black". Pop is full of dark, gritty songs. Pop is full of rock socks. Pop is full of sexy songs. Pop is amazing.

Discotheque is out there, Do You Feel Loved is HOT, Mofo is ballsy, If God Will Send His Angels is deep, Staring At The Sun is hopeful, Last Night On Earth is rocking, Gone is amazingly intense, Miami is strangely sexy, The Playboy Mansion is clever, If You Wear That Velvet Dress is seductive, Please is anguished, and Wake Up Dead Man is desperate.

Everything about the entire era was simply fantastic. The music and lyrics were the best they've ever been. The band looked amazing. I love Bono's popchop, and am quite happy it's returned. I hate Edge's beanie, and was glad to see it retired for a while. Adam was rocking the bleached hair and funky glasses. And Larry... looked like Larry :p And the clothes, the clothes were silly, and awesome, and out there. The band created an anti-style.

And let's not forget the stage. What other band could get away with a 40 foot mirrorball lemon? A 100 foot golden arch? A giant toothpick supporting a 12 foot illuminated olive? And of course the 150 foot video screen. Not to mention the bubble suit, muscle shirts, and gay space cowboys.

:combust:

What a great post!!! :applaud:

..almost tears in my eyes reading that :sad:

popmart.jpg

edgepop.jpg

vegas2.jpg

bande.jpg

discotheque.jpg

popbonoscreen.jpg

PopLemon.jpg

PopXenon.jpg

PopHeart.jpg

Yeah, once again... but that's okay.
A bit overated by some folks around here but unfairly underated and despized by the outside community and many assholes who don't dare themselves and appreciate a great piece of music.
POP is daring, innovative, writes his own story and is a great concept of "staring in a party (a rave?) and ending in a funeral".
Songs are strong, powerful, full of life and energy, contagious and cohesive despite the mixing of styles, influences and themes.
However, I still think that the album was hurried and (sorry POP fanatics and praisers...) songs are not finished, and the band agrees with it. It could've be given just a few months and then, that'll be just as perfect as we (and they) want to.

Best moments of the album: The first three tracks - more was impossible! - Gone and Wake Up Dead Man.
The best song there for me is Do You Feel Loved, that is one of the most forgotten song here and it's the most energic, and the song that IMO represents all the album.

POP:drool::heart: :dance: :bow:

Fabulous lyrics, beautiful melodies and tunes......has a very strong religious overtone.

If God Will Send His Angels :drool:
If You Wear That Velvet Dress drool: :drool:
Do You Feel Loved
Staring At The Sun
Gone - Elevation version drool: :drool:
Please
Wake Up Dead Man

Chizip, Its your favorite cause it has the word playboy in it. :giggle:

POP is a raw diamond. i love it.

POP rocks! :rockon:

@DreamOutLoud13: i really like your POP glorification :up:

Last edited:
It goes off track in places but any album that starts with discotheque, Do you feel loved and Mofo is automatically a classic!!
Mofo should have been the first single, it would have been huge!!
Gone of course is amazing as is Please.
The highlight for me though is the darkest album closer and possibly the darkest track theyve evr recorded, Wake Up Dead Man. That song couldnt be any better, shame they never played it full band live :-(((((((

Adam and Larry have never sounded better or contributed so much to an album.

Lyrically one of Bono's best.

Edge is treading new ground and rocking.

A bit patchy maybe, but definitely their most creative, daring and hardest rocking work of the last 10+ years.

shaun vox said:
seriously POP was u2's hard rock album!!
even with techno beats, its still u2's rock album and it kicks that vertigo/elevation song in the nuts!!

THANK YOU SHAUN! I like the last 2 albums but Pop, the album that gets dissed so much...was the album that had balls....that lived up to the Bono blabber as being in your face and rocking

:evil:

POP rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love it on its own accord and the fact that critics and many U2 fans dissed it adds an extra bonus for me. It took balls to do that album and tour.

It's great to see so many U2 fans who have the courage to express their love for Pop. Sometimes I feel like they are being bullied by the atyclb kids.

Pop had to grow on me. When it came out, I was not really one for dark music. I didn't touch it for years. When I started picking it back up again, I found that I could really appreciate most of the songs on there. WUDM? :drool: Please? :combust: Two phenomenal songs.

The thing is, I'm kind of glad that it was a one-off product. I mean, look at this picture:

DreamOutLoud13 said:

Yep, that picture pretty much sums it up----Pop and PopMart were fucking brilliantly dark and absurdly fantastic. Absolutely amazing in what they were trying to do. However, do I really want to see Adam in a helmet, facemask, and bodysuit for the rest of U2's career? :huh: No way. I may as well get into Slipknot and GWAR.

It's no different with MacPhisto. Was he insanely brilliant, perhaps one of the greatest, smartest, wry characters of our time? Absolutely. But if MacPhisto were to appear at every friggin' concert since 1992, well, he'd lose his punch.

The Fly, MacPhisto, the whole personas of ZooTV, of Pop and PopMart---they're all great characters, great intellectual and artistic plays and presentations. They're not necessarily the heart of U2 as a band; rather, they were the heart of the band's mentality in their own particular times. I'm glad to see that the Pop mentality didn't continue, that the Joshua Tree mentality didn't continue, that U2 is in constant flux as a band, continually expressing their own unique mentality/state/perception of the world and each unique present point in time. Pop is Pop--it's 1997 U2. War is War--it's 1983 U2. That's why I don't like when people say "U2 needs to go back to how they were with Pop!" What's the point? If any of their past individual thematic presentations were to continue on for numerous records, both the individual records and the band themselves would seem far less special to me.

Last edited:
a daring attempt to mix styles
which worked really well in the instances that they didn't hold back

Back
Top Bottom