PLEBA Misc News and Articles #3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know we already know about the latest magazine but this is what atu2.com is saying, they mention that there was two photographers for the cover Bono is on, meaning that it was apparently photoshoppe. It does look photoshopped to me too, they look really close together:shifty:...lol. But its still an awesome looking cover and I'll be on the look out for it here in the states! :hyper:
Bono and Cruz on French Vogue Cover

Bono shows up on another fashion magazine cover next month. It’s the May 2010 issue of French Vogue, and this time he’s on the cover with actress Penelope Cruz. The magazine turned over guest editing duties to Cruz for May, and she produced three different covers — all promoting Product (RED).
The magazine apparently credits two photographers for this cover, which some of the fashion blogs say is an indication that the cover is Photoshopped. (Yes, in the name of investigative reporting, I actually spent time reading fashion blogs tonight. All for you, folks. All for you.)
You can click the image at right for a larger version.

I didn't think it was photoshopped, but I'm not surprised. All of the Vanity Fair covers for the (Red) issues were photoshopped.

More bad news for the spiderman musical :|
By Ellen Gamerman

OB-IF457_alancu_E_20100420122425.jpg
More bad news for the Broadway musical “Spider-Man Turn off the Dark”: Alan Cumming, cast as the villainous Green Goblin, now joins Evan Rachel Wood on the list of actors who have left the show citing scheduling conflicts.
Cumming said in a statement Monday night that the “Spider-Man” team could not resolve conflicts with his dates taping what has become a regular role on “The Good Wife,” a CBS TV drama that shoots in New York.
Last month, Wood, cast as love interest Mary Jane, also quit the musical citing a scheduling conflict. The show, with a score by U2’s Bono and the Edge and directed by Julie Taymor (“The Lion King”), originally was meant to open this season.
“Obviously, having waited over a year for Spiderman to be greenlit, I am very disappointed that I will not have the chance to collaborate with Bono and the Edge, and to work with Julie Taymor on the stage,” Cumming said in the statement released by his publicist. The news was first reported by Entertainment Weekly on Monday.
The show has occupied the Hilton Theatre since “Young Frankenstein” closed more than a year ago. Last summer, construction was halted at the theater amid cash-flow problems. In the fall, Michael Cohl, a concert promoter who has worked with bands such as the Rolling Stones and U2, was installed as the show’s new lead producer. At the time the production said it would open at some point in 2010.
A spokesman for the show said in a statement Tuesday that the production schedule for “Spider-Man” would be announced soon, along with additional casting information.
'Spider-Man Turn off the Dark' Musical Loses Alan Cumming - Speakeasy - WSJ

Nooo! :sad: I really like Alan Cumming. It would have been great to have him in it.

I know he's really funny on The Good Wife though, but it would've been awesome for him to be in that musical :(

letting go would be kind of confirming failure. And I don't think that they have failed.
There are too many good actors around, to make this quit. But yeah, its been a looooooong road,
and someone should make a decision about this being done or not.

It isn't like the whole thing was their script and the whole enchilada, right?

If I understand it correctly, U2 just provided the music. It isn't their fault if those organizing the entire event, cast, production seem to not be able to get this together.

This isn't U2's failure. They provided some music. But from the sound of the constant setbacks... those that are putting on the show might want to re-think and cut their losses.

If I understand it correctly, U2 just provided the music. It isn't their fault if those organizing the entire event, cast, production seem to not be able to get this together.

This isn't U2's failure. They provided some music. But from the sound of the constant setbacks... those that are putting on the show might want to re-think and cut their losses.

amen brother.:up: So right.

That's true; it's not all on them. But it's like they're still paddling the sinking boat and they just need to get out of it. Maybe Adam and Larry should do an intervention. :hmm:

That's true; it's not all on them. But it's like they're still paddling the sinking boat and they just need to get out of it. Maybe Adam and Larry should do an intervention. :hmm:

Maybe. But again, it isn't U2 or BONO/EDGE presents Spiderman.

It's some other dorks that don't seem to be able to pull it together - presents Spiderman.

Bono and Edge merely wrote some, if not all, of the music. So it doesn't seem a to be a 100% fair or accurate assessment to say their name will be 'soiled' if the musical fails or doesn't happen.

I don't want Spiderman to fail or be cancelled, because it seems to mean a lot to Bono and Edge. I hope for them that it will work out someday. Still, not really good news, this show should have been in the theatres long ago. Seems the production team isn't very professional at what they're doing. I hope we'll at least get to hear the songs.

Maybe. But again, it isn't U2 or BONO/EDGE presents Spiderman.

It's some other dorks that don't seem to be able to pull it together - presents Spiderman.

Bono and Edge merely wrote some, if not all, of the music. So it doesn't seem a to be a 100% fair or accurate assessment to say their name will be 'soiled' if the musical fails or doesn't happen.

What I think the main point to be in all this, is that Bono and Edge are the huge names of this production and always have been since the beginning (although I deeple respect Julie Taymour for her talents). Them having written the scores for the show is actually a huge deal since musicals rely on music to carry the story (surprise surprise), so if the show does sink it'll kinda really suck for them. Just what I think to be the obvious problem here.

From AtU2.com

Achtung Baby is SPIN's Best Album

@U2, April 22, 2010
By: Matt McGee

SPIN magazine has named Achtung Baby the best/most influential album of the past 25 years -- part of SPIN's celebration of its 25th anniversary. Says the magazine:
"Unlike Radiohead with OK Computer and Kid A, U2 took their post-industrial, trad-rock disillusionment not as a symbol of overall cultural malaise, but as a challenge to buck up and transcend. Their confessions of frailty and blindness amid murky atmospherics (no doubt egged on by coproducer Brian Eno) had an air of cleansing rather than whining. That the album trails off introspectively is brave in its own quiet way."
In order, the rest of SPIN's top five:
2. Sign 'O The Times, Prince
3. The Queen Is Dead, The Smiths
4. Nevermind, Nirvana
5. OK Computer, Radiohead
Only one other U2 album made the list: The Joshua Tree at number 62. U2 also appears in several categories on SPIN's 25th anniversary readers' poll.

It's a beautiful pay day for U2

Irish Examiner, April 23, 2010
By: Conall O Fatharta​

ONCE again U2, the world's highest-earning act, top the Irish music rich list, with Westlife joining the top five for the first time.

The 2010 Sunday Times Music Rich List puts U2's total wealth at £429 million (€690m) – up some £5m on last year. The band was the highest-earning act in the world last year.

The remainder of the top five remains the same as 2009, with Michael Flatley (£241m), Enya (£85m), Van Morrison (£50m) and Chris de Burgh (£31m) following U2 in that order. However, also into the mix have come Louis Walsh proteges Westlife, who take joint fifth place with Chris de Burgh with total earnings of £31m.

However, these are a far cry from those in the top spots in the British music millionaires chart. Chairman and chief executive of the Warner Music Group, Edgar Bronfman, goes straight to the top with a fortune of more than £1.6 billion. The billionaire, who moved from Britain to New York, so his children can experience life abroad for two years, made his fortune partly as a result of his family's past ownership of the Seagram drinks empire. Mr Bronfman is ranked 25th in the 2010 list of the 1,000 richest people in Britain and this year pushed former Zomba record company owner Clive Calder into second place in the music millionaires' list. London theatre impresario, Sir Cameron Mackintosh, is at number four on the list after his fortune rose by 80% last year to £635m. He is one place behind Andrew Lloyd Webber who lost £50m last year, although he is still comfortable sitting on £700m.

The remainder of the top 10 list contain legends such as Paul McCartney, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Sting and Elton John. X Factor creator Simon Cowell just misses out on the top 10, although his fortune rose from £125m to £160m last year.

Charlotte Church tops the young music rich list (aged 30 and under), along with Katherine Jenkins and Leona Lewis, all of whom have a wealth of £11m.
(c) Irish Examiner, 2010

Paramount Int'l gets U.K., Irish rights to 'Bono'

Nick Hamm's 'very commercial' comedy stars Ben Barnes

Hollywood Reporter, April 21, 2010
By: Stuart Kemp​

Paramount Pictures International has snapped up U.K. and Irish rights to Nick Hamm's Irish comedy Killing Bono, starring Ben Barnes, for sales and finance banner The Salt Company.

Based on journalist Neil McCormick's autobiography, the movie stars Barnes and Robert Sheehan as hapless brothers Neil and Ivan McCormick who set up a band in Dublin in the late '70s. Sadly for them, so did their classmates and rivals, who go on to become U2.

PPI president Andrew Cripps described the script as "very commercial" and "well written, funny and highly entertaining."

Krysten Ritter, Peter Serafinowicz, Stanley Townsend, Ralph Brown, Luke Treadaway and Pete Postlethwaite round out the cast.

The film was shot on location in Northern Ireland with additional photography in Dublin and London. Producers are Ian Flooks for Wasted Talent, Hamm for Greenroom Entertainment, Mark Huffam for Generator Entertainment and Piers Tempest for Salt.

Script is written by Dick Clement & Ian La Frenais and Simon Maxwell.

The film is backed by Isotope Films, Matador Pictures, Cinema Three, Regent Capital, Molinare, Silver Reel, Sony Music Entertainment U.K. -- which will release the soundtrack worldwide -- and Northern Ireland Screen.
© Hollywood Reporter, 2010

Bono's Top Tips to Being a Frontman

He's been U2's sunglasses-sporting chairman of the board for 35 years. If anyone knows what this front man lark is all about, it's him.

Q Magazine, April 18, 2010
By: Bono​

(The April edition of Q magazine features a list of the 100 Greatest Frontmen, with Bono coming in at Number 2.)
1. Front is important but so is back. Get the right people to watch yours -- band, missus, management, your mates.
2. Lie about your height, even if you're 5'10" like me.
3. Don't imagine the audience doesn't know who you really are -- they really do...in a very intimate way. You live in their ear after all, just next door to the brain, down the hall to the bedroom of their heart. Especially if they sleep with earphones. Very, very intimate. They have heard the sound of your spirit snap and stretch. (Truth is, you probably don't know who you are.)
4. Remember who pays your wages but don't tell them.
5. A messianic complex is essential. Don't hold back, but realise at some point you will find yourself riding to a gig on a donkey. (I know this because my Father in heaven told me so.)
6. If you have another frontman onstage, give him your microphone immediately. And you use the spare.
7. Be reasonable in your expectations of yourself and your audience.
8. Never tell a journalist that you're really shy underneath it all.
9. Understand that fame doesn't blow up the ego, it implodes it. The emptiness that follows is a great thing to try and fill...especially if you fill it with a hit. This is what your record label will call finding yourself again. They don't know that... [see next tip]
10. ...You need just enough low esteem to get where you need to be. The plane doesn't fly without petrol.
11. The blogosphere -- like a Saturday night in A&E -- can put you off like democracy. Use it sparingly. And never be sure if you're the doctor or the patient.
12. Red wine is the poetic drink -- the only real drink for singers. Even if you're not drinking, it should be red wine you're not drinking. If you've never had a drink in your life, it's the chateau bottle that is at the centre of its own absence. Except for champagne and Tom Jones, who lives on the stuff.
13. You will meet Ronnie Wood at some point. You will also meet Mani. They both have a lot to say. Listen to them! They are troubadours. They can teach you things. What's weird is that it's sometimes difficult to remember what they say, which might mean you're taking rule 12 too far.
14. History is made at night and electrically. Generally speaking all encounters with your audience will occur by the light of the moon or some artificial equivalent. Live at night when you are performing. But try the morning for writing.
15. Be careful.
© Q Magazine/Bauer Media, 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom