PLEBA girls party-all made up!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bono's Betty said:
I thought you gals might like this story. Found it on bitterwaitress.com

Larry MULLINS. lol

Celebrity: Larry Mullins, Jr.

Early one evening I approached a new two-top and noticed that one of the guys looked familiar...he had chin-length dirty blonde hair that was somewhat greasy and chiseled features, but looked like he'd been on the business end of some hard living for quite some time. I said to the bartender, "The guy at table five looks familiar...he kind of looks like David Beckham's older, drug-addicted brother." It was only when I took his order and noticed his Irish brogue AND remembered that U2 was playing that night that I realized I was waiting on their drummer. I have to admit I was a little flustered but not as flustered as I'd be if I met Tom Waits or Bob Dylan. Anyway, he was very lovely, very quiet and polite and a decent tipper. People sitting at the tables right near him didn't even realize who he was. The manager went over to him with a copy of the restaurant's menu and very quietly said she'd comp his meal if he signed the menu. He smiled and said "That's a tough deal to beat." He left me $20, pretty generous considering if he'd been charged his bill would've been only about $25. He definitely looks older but you can still tell how H-O-T he was fifteen years ago. Oh, hilarious sidebar to the story: he came back in the very next day and had lunch and the bartender waited on him...she just happened to be wearing her brand new U2 t-shirt that she'd bought at their concert the night before. She felt like a dumbass but he smiled and said "Nice shirt."

Bono's Betty said:
Found one on B too !! :)

Celebrity: Bono (U2)
Restaurant: The Willard Room (Willard InterContinental Hotel)

Bono and his wife? girlfriend? and two other guys came in for dinner. They had made arrangements for a semi-private room where they were seated and seemed content. While they were initially nice enough, they proceeded to get fairly loaded and Bono and the woman both got pissy with me before it was over. They ran up a $1,200 tab with beluga caviar, wine and all(and left a decent $300 tip). Funny thing, I later found out he was in town to visit the president and promote donations for world hunger!

I found the Bono story on bitterwaitress.com a couple of months ago (can't remember where i found the link), and then spent the next couple of days reading the entire site. :lol:

VintagePunk said:
I found the Bono story on bitterwaitress.com a couple of months ago (can't remember where i found the link), and then spent the next couple of days reading the entire site. :lol:

*wanders in* So did I :shifty:

How is everyone tonight? :wave:

From The Sunday Independent:

U2's Larry rocks on to new Summit

I'M WITH Boy George: if Bono wants to find what he's looking for he only has to look behind the drums . . .

The incomparable Larry Mullen was behind the drums in his local in Howth last Thursday night. The occasion was Stephen Galligan's going away beano at Dublin's hippest boozer The Summit. The proceeds for Gally's send off to Australia were for the Hospice which cared for Gally's mum in the period before her recent sad death).

The entertainment was provided by El Diablo, a cover band with a strong U2 repertoire. Half-way through the night, the deeply unassuming Mullen was approached in the bar about getting up. To put it in context, this is a bit like asking JD Salinger to appear in Hello! magazine. Larry said he was too shy and too nervous to perform so locally. An hour later he was approached again, and this time, relented. El Diablos' drummer was diplomatically asked to vacate his stool for a mystery special guest and Larry took the seat and played on two U2 songs. According to witnesses on the night: "The place went slowly bananas, including the band themselves, as they realised what was happening. Larry is too modest in Howth and Sutton to raise any kind of profile, but he knew Gally and knew it was a purely local crowd from one of the neighbourhoods in which they first tasted success and he cast a spell."

Much later, the implacably grounded (and groomed) megastar also pulled a few pints behind the bar in The Summit for regulars and his lovely wife Anne Acheson. So if things don't work out for those U2 lads Larry will have at least two gigs to fall back on in Howth.

On Saturday evening, Anne and Larry and their son and daughter attended an end-of-soccer-season dinner in Casa Pasta in Howth. Their son Elvis is in the Howth Celtic under-10s, managed by the redoubtable Shane O'Doherty. (Larry is known to be very protective of his kids. It has worked well, as they have grown up normally in the community.) And then, presumably, Elvis left the building.

:love: I really do adore that man :love:

VP - You're very welcome :hug: Go see her! She'll help :yes: That's what we're here to do :D

Tredgy - Yeah, Saturday was not a good day for me. I'm sorry I missed it :( Next time though :yes:

Hi SG - :wave: I went to see Elevation tonight :hyper: That was good fun.. My first time seeing a U2 tribute band.

SG - I looked for her, but didn't recognize her :uhoh: We're planning on going to the show next month though, so we'll likely run into each other then..

Thora - I saw your journal entry about that. Aren't they fun? :rockon:

tredgy - Ikeaville? :scratch::reject:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom