Philadelphia Setlist Watch Party IIa -Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The acoustic version of Stuck in a Moment is 10 times better than the original.
I'm glad we're having an acoustic set. I'm just disappointed with the placement of it in the setlist.

Miringeltje said:
Has there been a ticket drop for LA yet?

Plenty of Oakland tickets around it seems.
But :shh:
Perhaps you could buy one and try to trade it with someone.

I'm still waiting and holding on though.
I must say it's looking extremely possible to score a ticket below face (not for GA of course)

I don't have the time/patience to try & buy a ticket in order to try and trade it to someone else...
If there are tickets floating around, what are you waiting for? Or are you waiting on 2 GAs at the right price? Or decent seats under face? I haven't seen any below face. They seem to be more on this leg than they were on the first. And there was some L.A. tix dropped on Ticketmaster Saturday night apparently, but no GAs. I tried all night... (as did a few others, thanks for trying :bow: ) Maybe it's better to be in any other town but Los Angeles or New York. My luck :shrug:

Wow, I can't believe that U2.com actually posted the correct setlist (on 1st try) and mentioned Bruce was there. That's very strange.:|

Although they did have to mess up the story by saying it was the first time Walk On was played on the tour. :huh:

When the band return after a couple of minutes we get a special treat - the first time on Vertigo '05 for one of the stand out tracks of the Elevation Tour four years ago. It's Walk On and its a bit of a moment.

But there is a nice picture up:

bruce-philly.jpg

Last edited:
Miroslava said:

Curfew perhaps? What time did the show end at yesterday?

Funny you say that because it want over until 1115. I did notice how surprisingly early they came out....at about 845. so they hadplanned a long show.

Why are U2.com so fucking clueless? :banghead:

On their Show Review:
Why do they keep calling ISHFWILF Still Haven't Found? They even do it in their review! Painful. I don't know whether to believe them or not when they say ISHFWILF ended with Springsteen's Promised Land or that Exodus was in Sunday Bloody Sunday.

On their setlist:

It's just painful to compare U2.com's setlist report to what I put up on U2-Vertigo-Tour.com earlier. For comparison purposes:

Originally posted by U2.com

Bruce Springsteen was on hand tonight to join the band for a spine-tingling rendition of People Get Ready.

It was a special show with Walk On another set list surprise . Here's what they played, report on way.

City of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Elevation
I Will Follow
Electric Co.
Still Haven’t Found
Beautiful Day
Miracle Drug
Sometimes you Can’t Make it On Your Own
Love and Peace or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky
Miss Sarajevo
Pride in the Name of Love
Where the Streets have no Name
One

Walk On
Fast Cars
People Get Ready
With or Without You

All Because of You

Originally posted by U2-Vertigo-Tour.com

The second Philadelphia show came with an encore containing one huge surprise: Bruce Springsteen and his wife joined U2 on stage to play a cover of Curtis Mayfield's People Get Ready and they jammed with the band for approximately ten minutes. This came swiftly after the return of Walk On, played for the second time this tour after debuting in Chicago almost a month ago. The original setlist included Original Of The Species and Bad as the final two songs after All Because Of You but 40 was performed instead. Early in the main set, I Will Follow was played for the 700th recorded time (appearing at 667 shows) - of course, so many early setlists are unknown that I Will Follow has most likely been played many more times than this. Nonetheless, it is the first U2 song to register 700 performances, currently eleven ahead of Pride (In The Name Of Love).

The full set was:

City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Elevation
I Will Follow
The Electric Co. / Bullet With Butterfly Wings (snippet)
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Beautiful Day / Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (snippet) / Blackbird (snippet)
Miracle Drug
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Love And Peace Or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky / The Hands That Built America (snippet) / When Johnny Comes Marching Home (snippet)
Miss Sarajevo
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
Where The Streets Have No Name
One

Encore(s):
Walk On
Fast Cars
People Get Ready
With Or Without You
All Because Of You

:|

What song did bono snippet at the end of vertigo. He was right in front of me on the walk and he was screaming so hard. he kept it going for like a full minute and his veins were popping like mad. i never heard him sing that hard recently....

mkdominatr said:
What song did bono snippet at the end of vertigo. He was right in front of me on the walk and he was screaming so hard. he kept it going for like a full minute and his veins were popping like mad. i never heard him sing that hard recently....

Maybe Patti Smith's Rock 'N' Roll ****** ...? I've heard he's done that a couple of times lately.

of course i could have gone to both of the philly shows but couldn't 'cause i had to work and already took time off so I could get more drinking time before the MSG shows... and of course the shows are great and friggin springsteen gets on stage :shakesagnryfist: :banghead:

would have been elliptisizing, too... :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Last edited:
'This Can't Be A Monday Night..'

City of Brotherly Love becomes City of Blinding Lights in a wild second night in Philly. From the opening bars of City of Blinding Lights to the closing vocal strains of 20,000 people singing 40, this was a night to remember in Philadelphia. And what most of us will remember most of all will be Bruce Springsteen singing People Get Ready with U2!

As Larry and Edge were introduced in Vertigo, the singer slipping in some Patti Smith along the way, you knew this was going to be a full throttle show because Bono needed water even before Elevation.

'Here’s a couple of songs we wrote when we were teenagers,' he explained as every teenager in the audience began wondering at the possibility. I Will Follow received an ovation, flying in to Electric Co where Edge played to Larry and Bono doused himself with water. It's an electric night already, this crowd are pumped, this band are giving it everything.

'This can't be a Monday night, This can't be a Monday night. Is every Monday night like this in Philadelphia?'

And then a foretaste of things to come as Still Haven't Found ends with Springsteen's The Promised Land. Even more snatches of rock'n'roll history slipping in and out of different tracks tonight, with Bob Marley's Exodus turning up in Sunday Bloody Sunday before one young woman balancing on a friend's shoulders, screams the 'No More' part as Bono holds out the microphone. Sarajevo is christened 'the capital of CoeXisT' (it was New York last week, but who's complaining ?) and Pride and Streets lift spirits even higher, the smile on Adam's face returned by every face in the house.

The Mayor of the city gets honourable mention for helping host Live 8 earlier in the summer and One brings the cellphones out and the house down.
When the band return after a couple of minutes we a special treat - the first time on Vertigo '05 for one of the stand out tracks of the Elevation Tour four years ago. It's Walk On and its a bit of a moment. Then it's Fast Cars (what staying power for such a quirky addition to the set) before another surprise, Curtis Mayfield's People Get Ready.
'Okay where's the man with the sign up saying 'People Get Ready'? asks Bono. 'There you go! This one's for you.'
Of course, on previous tours, this was the moment when a guitarist would be plucked from the audience but tonight as Bono announces, 'We need a guitar player...', they have just the man walking on from side of stage.

'Who is this man? Who is this man?' asks Bono and everybody in the house knows this is indeed The Man as Bruce Springsteen wanders into U2, a guitar around his neck bearing the familiar legend 'The Goal is Soul'.

'People get ready
Cos the boss is in town
He don’t suffer no fools
Or kiss no clowns
The boy is from New Jersey
But he feels home round here
New York – they’re gonna shed some tears.'

As Bono sings his new version, Bruce plays the chords before taking up the vocals for the traditional version.

'People get ready, there's a train a-comin'
You don't need no baggage, you just get on board
All you need is faith to hear the diesels hummin'
Don't need no ticket, you just thank the Lord'
Edge and Bruce duet on guitar for a moment before Bono takes the vocal again.

'People get ready
He’s a funky brother
Plucking that old guitar
Like you know that he can
People get ready
Cos there is no other
Bruce springsteen is back in town'
And then it's time for another guest, again introduced in song.

'People get ready
For trouble and strife
You know the boss
Has brought the wife
People get ready
She’s a little shy
But a red haired girl
Just a bit of encouragement
And we’ll get her there

'Beautiful girl from the Jersey shore
With a voice like an angel
You know we love you some more
Walk like a Princess
And you talk like a gypsy
And I can't believe that you’re
Gonna stand next to me'
And so Patty Scialfa, to another great ovation, joins U2 and husband Bruce on stage. It's a piece of rock'n'roll history, as Philadelphia gets ready and finally Bono leads Patty off while Edge and Bruce finish up.
'People get ready there's a train to jersey..' sings Bruce and then the moment is over.

And still there was time for With or Without You, All Because of You and 40. Wow!
That was a night to remember.

maybe Bono will come by thurs to sing one with Bruce in Mass.:eyebrow:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
of course i could have gone to both of the philly shows but couldn't 'cause i had to work and already took time off so I could get more drinking time before the MSG shows... and of course the shows are great and friggin springsteen gets on stage :shakesagnryfist: :banghead:

would have been elliptisizing, too... :banghead::banghead::banghead:

My feelings exactly... :rant:

Axver said:

Maybe Patti Smith's Rock 'N' Roll ****** ...? I've heard he's done that a couple of times lately.

I think your right.... It went really well...very hard rock n roll and it was just awesome.

yeah, it was rocknroll ******, and they did play promised land at the end of i still haven't found, and exodus was in sbs.

also they did a line or so of all you need is love in beautiful day, along with sgt. pepper, and blackbird.

Imarocker said:
'This Can't Be A Monday Night..'

And then a foretaste of things to come as Still Haven't Found ends with Springsteen's The Promised Land. Even more snatches of rock'n'roll history slipping in and out of different tracks tonight, with Bob Marley's Exodus turning up in Sunday Bloody Sunday before one young woman balancing on a friend's shoulders, screams the 'No More' part as Bono holds out the microphone. Sarajevo is christened 'the capital of CoeXisT' (it was New York last week, but who's complaining ?) and Pride and Streets lift spirits even higher, the smile on Adam's face returned by every face in the house.

Apparently the 'No More' part was sung by a little girl, around age 11 I believe, and her name was Amanda. Her Mom posted a story at u2.com about her taking her daughter to her first U2 show and getting into the ellipse, and then a kind U2 fan put the girl on his shoulders for a few songs - she got to touch Bono's hand, and sing the 'No More' part after Bono asked her name and he told her, Amanda, sing NO MORE. I'm hoping some of that mofo luck will rub off on us...

Sounds like it was a great show...

it was a great show, and the n word does suck, but it's in a defiant context, so it is appropriate, as patti wrote it.

I just got back from Philly. I can't believe what an amazing trip it was. I've got 2 1/2 rolls of film from the two shows, which I'm dropping off this afternoon, so look for my pics later this week.

All I'll say for now: Bono's Fast Cars dance is the eighth wonder of the world for sure :drool:

I hope I didn't catch his germs when he was 3 feet in front of me last night singing The Electric Co. He wasn't acting sick, that's for sure. Two fantastic shows!

BonoIsMyMuse said:

All I'll say for now: Bono's Fast Cars dance is the eighth wonder of the world for sure :drool:

:yes: :happy:

Glad you had 2 awesome shows! And thanks for acting as Lila's source! :D

i feel sorry for the suckers that went to this show and missed the cardinals game :drool:

This show was awesome. I was annoyed at having a crappy seat, but it was still awesome. I loved when Edge held his guitar up while he was playing Fast Cars.

Back
Top Bottom