Pet Peeves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
~unforgettableFOXfire~ said:
Ohhh here's a good one thats close to my heart... Asshat bus drivers who drive right on past you standing at the bus stop in the rain when their bus is empty. :rant:

Or how about university students who, rather than walking 10 minutes to go down 4 stops, wait for 15 minutes for a bus, push and shove to get on in front of you, just to 'save time and effort', and then have to push you out of the way to get off the bus because they chose to be first on and be right in the middle rather than near a door. Ohhh or how about university students who, rather than walking 10 minutes to go those same 4 stops fill up an entire bus collectively so taht they can all get off before the route is even 1/8th over, whereas I need to ride it all the way to the end. Is that selfish of me? Sure it is. But theyre being more selfish, lazy asses. *resentment*

People who push to get in front of you on public transportation. :mad:

I have a spin-off of this one, foxfire--what about the students who insist on sitting in the back of the classroom, but want to be the FIRST ones out?? So in the process, they stomp all over *your* bag and knock down your stuff. :mad:

People who walk slow--"saunter" perhaps, is a better term.

I have ten minutes to get to class. I hate getting stuck behind 2 people creeping down the path, taking their sweet time.

Or people who stop for no reason and stare, confused, like they dont know where they are, in the middle of a doorway.

AvsGirl41 said:

I have ten minutes to get to class. I hate getting stuck behind 2 people creeping down the path, taking their sweet time.

Or people who stop for no reason and stare, confused, like they dont know where they are, in the middle of a doorway.

:yes:

....oh and people who dont dip their headlights.....
...people (18 year old boys) driving around in their wee corsas all done up thinking its a ferrari....

gav6519 said:
...people (18 year old boys) driving around in their wee corsas all done up thinking its a ferrari....

:lol: when they have a massive spoiler on the back of their little corsa, and tinted windows and a UV light underneath the car. And a stereo that's worth more than the car.

Do they not realise that they look like tossers? :scratch:

AvsGirl41 said:

Slow people in groups that block the pavement :mad:

The worst is when you're on the subway and the person getting on before you stops in the doorway and looks around just as the doors are closing and you want to shove them really hard just so you can get on before the doors close. How hard is it to get on and then look for a seat? :mad:

ooh I hate it when you're in town and it's really busy and the people in front of you on the pavement just stop and start talking. Everyone is having to push their way around them and they just stand there, carrying on gassing :mad:

Why can't they move to the side of the pavement?????? :angry:

bammo2 said:

:lol: when they have a massive spoiler on the back of their little corsa, and tinted windows and a UV light underneath the car. And a stereo that's worth more than the car.

Do they not realise that they look like tossers? :scratch:

:yes: :yes: :yes:

People who make blanket negative generalizations about a group of people, but then say "I'm not a racist, but..."

People who can't take responsibility for their own actions. I.e. parents who sue McDonald's because they fed their kid fast food 5 days of the week and now they're fat.

A couple more based on previous comments :D

- Avsgirl: People who stand and have conversations on the stairs in busy or supersmall stairwells and dont get out of the way.

- gav and bammo: people who put spoilers and/or lower minivans... Its a minivan for goodness sake, not a high-end sports car! To that end, minivans and SUVs in general really bug me... When I say SUVs Im not talking true 4x4 off-roadin trucks like some of the Jeeps or whatnot, IM talking Toyota RAV4 little top heavy deathtraps that roll if you corner at 50kph. Another car thing, rollbars that are only there for fashion, what could compel someone to install these? Goodness only knows its an accident waiting to happen...

Which brings me to a third point, closely linked to BVS's comment about personal accountability. Apparently some people cant grasp the concept of explicit instructions such as; 'not a lifesaving device' or 'not to be used for (activity)'... Yet, they make a really stupid blunder, get injured, and try to sue someone about it anyway despite the fact theyre clearly the ones at fault, having assumed the risk themselves, proving that they made a bad choice that has bitten them in the ass, and rather than just admit that theyve made an error, try to take it out on someone else.

I hate it when people tell me how to drive--like, "you can pass that guy now" or "you should be in the left lane" when I'm in my own town and know where I'm going and what I'm doing. If I am doing something dangerous, please tell me. But don't tell me to take a left when I know where the mall is and I prefer to keep straight to get there. :mad: Control freak passengers :down:

More....

When I'm depressed or upset about something and someone says, "You know, a lot of people have worse probles than you :|" or something like that. :mad: It's just so belittling and judgmental.

When I'm in public waiting for someone somewhere and strangers come up to me and ask if I'm okay, or when a stranger tells me to smile. WTF? If I wasn't in a bad mood to begin with, that always puts me in one and makes me SO paranoid about the way I look.

~unforgettableFOXfire~ said:
Or how about university students who, rather than walking 10 minutes to go down 4 stops, wait for 15 minutes for a bus, push and shove to get on in front of you, just to 'save time and effort', and then have to push you out of the way to get off the bus because they chose to be first on and be right in the middle rather than near a door. Ohhh or how about university students who, rather than walking 10 minutes to go those same 4 stops fill up an entire bus collectively so taht they can all get off before the route is even 1/8th over, whereas I need to ride it all the way to the end. Is that selfish of me? Sure it is. But theyre being more selfish, lazy asses. *resentment*

Okay, as a graduate of the University of Illinois I am totally guilty of this. I loved, loved, loved the bus system there. If any of you are familiar, I lived on First st. and got on the 21 Illini at first and daniel. In order to fit on the bus you have to be aggressive. The bus fills very quickly! Many property owners don't shovel the sidewalks so it helps to take the bus. I will not apologize for taking a bus that my tuition pays for. Why walk three blocks for a bus stop when there was one right in front of my apartment building?

Anyway, I hate when people chew gum with their mouths open. God, that's annoying....

WildHoneyAlways said:
Okay, as a graduate of the University of Illinois I am totally guilty of this. I loved, loved, loved the bus system there. If any of you are familiar, I lived on First st. and got on the 21 Illini at first and daniel. In order to fit on the bus you have to be aggressive. The bus fills very quickly! Many property owners don't shovel the sidewalks so it helps to take the bus. I will not apologize for taking a bus that my tuition pays for. Why walk three blocks for a bus stop when there was one right in front of my apartment building?

:crack:

First and daniel....I run by your old place nightly.

You were only four blocks from the quad..no bus needed. :shifty:

*offers wildhoneyalways a slice of pizza from bonnie jean's

WildHoneyAlways said:

Anyway, I hate when people chew gum with their mouths open. God, that's annoying....

I know this isnt what you said, and so Im not putting words into your mouth, but it reminded me of something else that bugged me. People who think that those who are nice/being polite are weak and deserve to be taken advantage of - in my opinion, it takes far more strength to be kind than it does to be cruel. The bus thing really doesnt apply to that example without taking a hammer and pounding the round peg into the square hole.

Im not looking for an appology, my tuition pays for my bus pass too, and if I was living on campus I wouldnt want to just throw that $90 nonrefundable contribution away, so I completely understand.

It still doesnt resolve my contempt of people who could reach their destination faster by walking than waiting for a bus, though. For instance, people who live on campus, travelling 5 minutes on foot to some destination off campus, 2 bus stops - by the time you figure in the time it takes for people to get on/off, driver to check passes, close doors, get back into traffic, stop, let people off, in that short distance they havent saved any time whatsoever; plus, its taken them time to wait for the bus. The bus does fill up quickly, and thats exactly the point, the bus fills up quickly with people who dont need to use the bus. If you can get there faster by walking, walk, no illusions that the bus is faster but you have to wait ten minutes to catch it, if its faster, then walk - Why take up an extra seat on the bus for people who need to spend 35 minutes on the bus just to get home, forget the time it takes to actually catch a bus; which becomes exceptionally longer when two or three busses drive by because theyre full. Ive resorted to walking down these 3 or 4 stops myself just to catch the bus, just to let all these people off first so theres room enough for me, but I wouldnt have to solve my problem like this if other people didnt cause it by mismanaging their efforts. Winter is no excuse either, if youre going the same 2 stops - if youre going 4, I have sympathy, if youre going more than 4 I have even more sympathy, but again, not for 2. Sure, its cold, but by standing in the cold for 15 minutes to catch a bus, to travel 5 minutes walk, it doesnt help you... youre just standing there in the cold, rather than walking, which keeps a level of body heat that is higher than if you are simply standing in one spot being idle...

Incidentally, private property owners in a lot of cities are liable for the strip of public property in front of their own, theyre charged with maintaining it, and their failure to do so - if it results in injury - becomes their problem, not the city's. Its in their best interest to shovel, if they choose not to, thats all well and good, but theyre still responsible for it. Some cities have bylaws which force citizens to shovel their walks, and if they fail to do so, the city will clean them, but the owner will receive a bill for it... Back in the 50s, Im told, people did it just out of common courtesy, rather than out of fear for legalities... Thats my hangup, really, lack of courtesy, I can let the bus thing slide for anyone who needs to use it, or for whom it makes things easier, but it bothers me greatly when people abuse their privelege at the expense of others. Sure, you can, but just because you can doesnt mean you should... And therein is my fundmental difference in arguments from rights to priveleges, I argue against it if its a privilege, and for it if its a right - and buses are priveleges.

But I guess thats the whole thing with pet peeves is that people do them anyway, regardless of how you feel - if people didnt do it, it wouldnt bother you, right? It doesnt matter what my logic is, or what other people's illogic is, my being irritated isnt going to change their actions, but even so, it still bothers me.

Oh well... Off to class I go.

*crosses fingers that my ride home at 10 tonight wont be cluttered with people going downtown to drink*

Okay, okay, so maybe I was only 4 blocks from the quad but the street signs say 6 blocks so I think it's six blocks....warped logic, I know. As strange as it sounds I miss Champaign sometimes. If you go into Alexander's Steak House Zoney or FOXfire say hi to the staff. I worked there forever...

My pet peeve about Champaign is that they put sand down instead of salt in the winter.

*mmm bonnie jean's and the mug club. thanks zoney*

Doors at stores and stuff without signs saying whether you have to push or pull so you have to look at the thing for a bit to figure it out and always end up doing the opposite of what you should have and you think everyone is staring. :eek: Hate that.

gav6519 said:

aye liek gav yer local spides do that :yuck:

And they have the music blaring and those stupid spoilers like bammo said

and then they all get out of the car and theres like 50 of them (im always amazed at how many ppl they stuff into such a small car) and they all look the same - they all wear white tracksuits :lmao:

I hate when im leaving uni I pass one of these houses its some office for film studies but they posters of ronan keating and boyzone and take that up - I really hate it - there are 4 "dolly birds" as they say here of about 40 sitting inside and it makes me feel like I have been transported back to the 90's

Get with the times ladies.

Aherm. Ok, please let me whinge. A lot pisses me off.

*smelly people
*cold weather
*telemarketers of course
*real estate junk mail especially the personalised stuff "Dear Mrs Harlem, we have a buyer who is very keen on purchasing your property if you wish to sell..." oh fuck off already. Like hell you do! I said fuck off! :mad:
*Holden drivers. Piss off every single one of you you selfish bastards. You cant drive for shit and that does not mean you take up my lane, race me or rev at me in a bid to show me your car is capable of blowing a gasket. I dont care so fuck off and leave me alone.
*whingers (not healthy venting like this of course)
*other people's children on the whole give me the royal shits. No arsewipe, your snotty, grotty, smelly, noisy, child is not cute. get that thing out of my face before I slap you and it from here to kingdom come. :mad:
*animal abusers :mad: i have no restraint seeing people abuse their pets. as noble as my intentions might be it is going to get me in trouble one day.
*automated options "for sales press 1, for blah blah press 2, for someone to come and scratch your arse press 3, to end this call press # or simply hang up" you have an option to end the call? you dont have enough to do in your job buddy :mad:
*bills, credit card statements, mortgage summaries etc
*religious doorknockers. GO AWAY :mad:
*ricers
*their cars
*psuedo intellectuals. shove your fucking philosophy and posturising up your fucking arse :mad:
*equally; deadshits. good god, if you are too stupid to understand the simple things dont bother me with trying to learn it. do i look like a 'basics of human life' teacher?
*pedantic people. give yourself all the ulcers you want. leave me alone!
*hippies
*egomaniacs
*car salesmen
*bad drunks
*compulsive victim syndrome
*bleeding hearts
*extremists
*states of excessive agitation
*people in a hurry
*people who dawdle
*anal levels of political correctness
*anal people in general
*racists
*my brother in law
*abstract art
*tomatoes on everything
*running out of milk/clean knickers/spare coins
*people who hum. dont hum near me ok? ever. :mad:
*compulsive cheery people. it makes me suspect they are on drugs. get a grip and deal with emotion. its ok to not be mother teresa every now and then. as well as unnatural.
*abuse of the sympathy angle. "please donate and save a single mother amputee from botswana with a child who has 'goat head' syndrome". :mad: i am not made of money. i donate enough.

i feel better now :)

This how we do it at the canopy

WildHoneyAlways said:
Okay, okay, so maybe I was only 4 blocks from the quad but the street signs say 6 blocks so I think it's six blocks....warped logic, I know. As strange as it sounds I miss Champaign sometimes. If you go into Alexander's Steak House Zoney or FOXfire say hi to the staff. I worked there forever...

My pet peeve about Champaign is that they put sand down instead of salt in the winter.

*mmm bonnie jean's and the mug club. thanks zoney*

FoxFire is up in Canada. :shifty:

GREAT...I have sand to look forward to. :grumpy:

It is actually better for your car though...cuts down on the rust. You just have to make sure you vacuum out your car in the spring.

Alexander's??? Where is it? (I have only been down here since April - still getting to know everything).

My biggest pet peeve about Champaign is that it is there isn't enough "convenient way for me" to get to Chicago. I wish the Amtrak ran more than two times a day...or at more convenient times. I am not completely used to this small town thing yet...but thank god for the University. I am not sure I will be able to last more than two years down here (I might be moving back up to Minneapolis in June though - damn job). THANK GOD for Chicago though. I love that city. :heart:

Last edited:
Angela Harlem said:
Aherm. Ok, please let me whinge. A lot pisses me off.

*smelly people
*cold weather
*telemarketers of course
*real estate junk mail especially the personalised stuff "Dear Mrs Harlem, we have a buyer who is very keen on purchasing your property if you wish to sell..." oh fuck off already. Like hell you do! I said fuck off! :mad:
*Holden drivers. Piss off every single one of you you selfish bastards. You cant drive for shit and that does not mean you take up my lane, race me or rev at me in a bid to show me your car is capable of blowing a gasket. I dont care so fuck off and leave me alone.
*whingers (not healthy venting like this of course)
*other people's children on the whole give me the royal shits. No arsewipe, your snotty, grotty, smelly, noisy, child is not cute. get that thing out of my face before I slap you and it from here to kingdom come. :mad:
*animal abusers :mad: i have no restraint seeing people abuse their pets. as noble as my intentions might be it is going to get me in trouble one day.
*automated options "for sales press 1, for blah blah press 2, for someone to come and scratch your arse press 3, to end this call press # or simply hang up" you have an option to end the call? you dont have enough to do in your job buddy :mad:
*bills, credit card statements, mortgage summaries etc
*religious doorknockers. GO AWAY :mad:
*ricers
*their cars
*psuedo intellectuals. shove your fucking philosophy and posturising up your fucking arse :mad:
*equally; deadshits. good god, if you are too stupid to understand the simple things dont bother me with trying to learn it. do i look like a 'basics of human life' teacher?
*pedantic people. give yourself all the ulcers you want. leave me alone!
*hippies
*egomaniacs
*car salesmen
*bad drunks
*compulsive victim syndrome
*bleeding hearts
*extremists
*states of excessive agitation
*people in a hurry
*people who dawdle
*anal levels of political correctness
*anal people in general
*racists
*my brother in law
*abstract art
*tomatoes on everything
*running out of milk/clean knickers/spare coins
*people who hum. dont hum near me ok? ever. :mad:
*compulsive cheery people. it makes me suspect they are on drugs. get a grip and deal with emotion. its ok to not be mother teresa every now and then. as well as unnatural.
*abuse of the sympathy angle. "please donate and save a single mother amputee from botswana with a child who has 'goat head' syndrome". :mad: i am not made of money. i donate enough.

i feel better now :)

:ohmy:

Re: This how we do it at the canopy

zoney! said:

FoxFire is up in Canada. :shifty:

GREAT...I have sand to look forward to. :grumpy:

It is actually better for your car though...cuts down on the rust. You just have to make sure you vacuum out your car in the spring.

Alexander's??? Where is it? (I have only been down here since April - still getting to know everything).

My biggest pet peeve about Champaign is that it is there isn't enough "convenient way for me" to get to Chicago. I wish the Amtrak ran more than two times a day...or at more convenient times. I am not completely used to this small town thing yet...but thank god for the University. I am not sure I will be able to last more than two years down here (I might be moving back up to Minneapolis in June though - damn job). THANK GOD for Chicago though. I love that city. :heart:

Champaign doesn't like to plow the streets either so get ready for that!! whoo-hoo! (I'm talking about neil and prospect, bye the way) Champaign is a small town but with all the crime you'd never think so...
Alexander's Steak house is a cook your own steak house but you don't have to if you don't want to. It's on Neil St just north of 74. They have a good special if you want to eat before 6 pm.
I have taken the train from Champaign...ug...it was always hung over and at 6 am or something.

Re: Re: This how we do it at the canopy

WildHoneyAlways said:

Champaign doesn't like to plow the streets either so get ready for that!! whoo-hoo! (I'm talking about neil and prospect, bye the way) Champaign is a small town but with all the crime you'd never think so...
Alexander's Steak house is a cook your own steak house but you don't have to if you don't want to. It's on Neil St just north of 74. They have a good special if you want to eat before 6 pm.
I have taken the train from Champaign...ug...it was always hung over and at 6 am or something.

I have to check out Alexander's (by the mall?)!

No plows, eh? Thank god for my four-wheel jeep (with my lame ass Ill. plates - LEMONU 2). Especially when you have to start work at 5:30am. :crack:

I have driven to Chicago each time (was up there last saturday, and will be doing a day trip Sunday).

Coming down for any basketball games?

"Victims"--everyone is always a victim of something and that's why they can't seem to get ahead, and they're constantly complaining about how this keeps them behind.

People who insist on telling me their whole, unremarkable life story whenever they call my office for help--part of the whole victim thing. Oh, I see, well you'll need to call Financial Aid anyway.

Pompous people, who are really quite stupid.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom