Personhood Amendments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did almost go back and edit that 'you people' to 'some people' or just 'people'

but I thought because I was not addressing people of color, it would not be construed as 'biased' or 'bigoted'

I do think the whole conversation was about that politician's beliefs about abortion, he is 100% pro life / anti abortion, the fact the conception happened because of rape would not make him pro abortion in that instance.

I don't believe these conservative men, whom I do not agree with, are soft on rape. If anything their conservative, tough on crime stance is quite the opposite. They get caught up in these stupid remarks because of their religions convictions.

Now, there is some good news for you people (some people, people).

Donnelly Leads Mourdock by 11 Points in Indiana | RealClearPolitics

I did almost go back and edit that 'you people' to 'some people' or just 'people'

but I thought because I was not addressing people of color, it would not be construed as 'biased' or 'bigoted'

I do think the whole conversation was about that politician's beliefs about abortion, he is 100% pro life / anti abortion, the fact the conception happened because of rape would not make him pro abortion in that instance.

I don't believe these conservative men, whom I do not agree with, are soft on rape. If anything their conservative, tough on crime stance is quite the opposite. They get caught up in these stupid remarks because of their religions convictions.

Now, there is some good news for you people (some people, people).

Donnelly Leads Mourdock by 11 Points in Indiana | RealClearPolitics

Didn't you read what Cori said, which seemed to be in response to your post? I quoted it in agreement.

If you read my comments clearly, you would see I am very upset over these candidates' statements about rape and incest. They are ignorant and insensitive, and it is disturbing that they have supporters.

This has nothing to do with abortion. It is about ignorance and lack of sensitivity.

Yeah, there are plenty of people who are pro-life but also aren't total idiots about these issues.

People who want to be in positions of power should not be so blatantly ignorant and insensitive and mind-numbingly STUPID on these issues. The GOP has a really disturbingly bizarre obsession with this topic lately and it's getting absolutely ridiculous, if it's not already at or beyond that point.

Their comments won't stop or solve anything related to the topics of pregnancies relating from incest and rape. We can ban abortion all we want and it's still going to happen because a ban hasn't actually addressed taking care of the issues themselves that lead TO abortions being possible. They need to get a fucking clue and educate themselves, and if they can't, then they need to just shut up about it already, for the love of all that is good. I'm beyond sick and tired of this insanity.

This is a disturbing story. Pro-lifers tend to make abortion a black and white issue when in truth, there's a lot of gray areas:

Another phone call, this time from the office of the OBGYN performing the procedure. You must come in 24 hours in advance. "Why?" "To sign a consent form." "What consent form?" Silence. "Well, you only don't have to sign it if you were raped." I was still completely confused. "I wasn't raped. I don't understand. What are you talking about?" "You are having an optional abortion right?" "No. I am having a therapeutic D&C (dilation and curettage operation to remove the fetus and womb lining) to remove a non-viable fetus." "But the baby is alive?" "Well, according to my religious faith, that is not so." "Is there a heartbeat?" "Yes." "Then, I am sorry to say, you are having an elective abortion and you must sign an informed consent 24 hours before the operation."

Roe v. Wade gave states the right to regulate abortion. State laws can mandate that doctors describe the risks of abortion and receive the informed consent of a woman before proceeding. In Ohio, a physician must meet with the pregnant woman 24 hours before the operation to explain the procedure, give the state sponsored materials on alternatives to abortion and receive a signed form stating that the pregnant woman "consents to the particular abortion voluntarily, knowingly, intelligently, and without coercion by any person...." There are "medical necessity" exceptions to this ruling, but due to custom more than statute, the sign of a heartbeat trumps other prognoses.

While Ohio is not the only state preoccupied with the heartbeat, it seems to be one of the most committed. On March 3, 2011, two pregnant women received ultrasounds in a state committee hearing. As Charles Lewis of the National Post reported, "The lobbying effort to end abortion in the United States moved into strange new territory Wednesday as two fetuses were presented via ultrasound to a packed committee room of the Ohio state legislature." State legislatures looked on as "a technician used a probe to show images of each woman's fetus on a portable screen. A heart monitor was used to project the sound of the beating heart of each fetus, nine and 15 weeks." This display was in service of the Heartbeat Bill, a piece of legislation that would make abortion illegal once a heartbeat could be detected. The bill passed the House but not the Senate.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tamar...and-voluntary-abortion-in-ohio_b_2050888.html

Who decided the completely arbitrary presence of a heartbeat means anything? Why not, does it have any fingers yet? Are there any rudimentary eye spots?

If we're talking about LemonMelon's comment here, I do think he was kidding. And I really hope he was.

I'll wait until he responds.

hahahaha
He does come off as a bit of a woman hater though. I think we should resent him a bit for that

Yeah I suck

Like women

For fuck's sake, you guys. Come on. Don't make me stop joking around, it's all I've got.

Solid proof that a heartbeat doesn't always mean all is well.

May she rest in peace and Ireland finally stops being influenced by the Catholic church.

This was refused, he says, because the foetal heartbeat was still present and they were told, “this is a Catholic country”.

Boy, it's really interesting to see how willing the Catholic Church is to stick to their religious beliefs and their concern for children when inside the woman's body!

That is horrifying. Why do we still think, in this day and age, that religious law must trump someone's health concerns?

My condolances to her family on their tragic loss.

Apparently the law is that it can be performed to save the life of the mother, but no one ever got around to defining what those instances might be, so doctors may fear doing it at all.

Women who attempted get abortions but were denied are three times as likely to fall into poverty than those whose efforts were not blocked, a recent study conducted by researchers at University of California San Francisco found.
UCSF's Bixby Center on Global Reproductive Health examined 3,000 interviews conducted with over 1,000 women from across the United States who had either received abortions or were turned away because their pregnancies had already passed the clinic's gestational limit. The study aimed to determine the effects carrying an unwanted pregnancy to term had on women's mental, physical and socio-economic health.
Researchers found that a year after seeking an abortion, more than three-quarters of the women turned away were on public assistance and 67 percent were below the poverty line. Fewer than half of those turned away held a full time job.
Figures dropped significantly for the women who received abortions.
"When a woman is denied the abortion she wants, she is statistically more likely to wind up unemployed, on public assistance, and below the poverty line," lead researcher Dr. Diana Greene Foster explained to io9. "Another conclusion we could draw is that denying women abortions places more burden on the state because of these new mothers' increased reliance on public assistance programs."
Research also revealed that one of the main reasons women sought abortions in the first place was monetary: 45 percent were on some form of public assistance and two-thirds had incomes below the federal poverty line.
Of the women who were unable to get abortions, only eleven percent had put their children up for adoption by a year following the birth.

The study found no correlation between the desire to seek an abortion and drug use, although it did uncover a strong link between a willingness for women to say in an abusive relationship and being denied abortion access. While turnaways were more likely to remain in relationships with the child's father, they were also more likely to have experienced domestic abuse in the past six months and were less likely to feel positively about their relationship.

Abortion Poverty Study Finds Link Between Lack Of Access And Income

Has anyone read "Freakanomics"? It claims that because of the passing of Roe v. Wade, the crime rate in this country has gone down because people aren't being born and raised in situations that could lead to criminal activity (ie: poverty, single mothers working all day).

An assault on working families has plunged more children into poverty by the Republican legislature’s decisions to slash funding for the Earned Income Tax Credit and the child-care subsidy, which both helped low-income families.

Keep it classy, GOP :up:.

And speaking of dumbass GOP members, anyone else heard about this story of "pro-life" Congressman DesJarlais in recent times?

Tennessee GOP congressman’s ex-wife had 2 abortions - BostonHerald.com

Color me completely unsurprised-I knew we'd hear stories like this from the more militant, controlling "pro-lifers" out there eventually.

The bit about the gun is pretty fucking disturbing, too. Especially since he handily won another term. Feel good knowing you have a deeply unstable, hypocritical douchebag running your area, Tennessee citizens?

Back
Top Bottom